PDA

View Full Version : Social Security Dissability

Stephanie78
08-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Ok, American WG patients...I need help/advice. John had short term dissability that runs on out August 26th. When he was in the hospital last week the dr came in and spoke with us. He made the comment to John that he needed to focus on getting better. It could be 6 months before he got back to work, however he may NEVER get back to work. They have him written as disabled right now. He has numbness in both feet and hands (which could be the one reason that would prevent him from returning to work since he was a truck driver) Plus you ALL know the disease and other reasons that would prevent it.
SO, we were advised to go ahead and try to get SS Dissability. I looked up on the websit and say that Vasculitis Disease is one of the things that will and can get you on the dissability. I applied in June and have just finished all of the paper work.
Have any of you applied/been approved/denied?? Any advise?

renidrag
08-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Stephanie and John: I was successful with SSDI. I filed in March and was awarded in first week of July. They made my disability date the date I applied and paid me retroactively. Can you roll over to a long term disability from the short term? I agree the front page of the website seems to make it a no brainer, but there is some discussion as to that. My doctor's simply wrote no heavy lifting and Neuropathy of the feet and hands, although my hands are much better now. I don't see you not getting this. I have WG and COPD.
Dale

Red
08-16-2011, 06:05 AM
I applied and was denied 2 times they said i was retrainable and i could move my arms and walk 10 feet with out help i was on a lot of meds for pain in feet oxycodone ect,then they made me see a head dr and would not release his findings have not worked for more than 1 year, now i am working no choice because i still have pain and cant see very good out of rt eye .
I think it is a joke i did this without a lawyer next time i will get one .I am feeling so much better maybe the dr could see into the future , good luck

Stephanie78
08-16-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm hoping he will get accepted quickly, however I do know that it takes a while. Both of his hands and feet are numb and he is looking at the possibility of having part of his toes on his right foot amputated, he will go to the vasculitis surgeon next week for a re-check on that. He also has an anuerysm in his main artery to his heart and his BP is controlled by 3 different medications. They can't do surgery due to the inflammation from the disease. His physical therapist ordered him a walker for the home and we are now getting a wheel chair due to him not being able to walk/stand long periods of times.
I gave all the information for ALL doctors and all the medications he is on as well as procedures that he has had done and will continue to have done.
I do hope he gets to go back to work one day. He loves working. But until that day comes, we need the help! I'm sure you ALL understand where I am coming from on that.
He did have short term disability, however he didn't pay into the long term (not sure why).

Psyborg
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Most healthy folks don't think that LTD is worth buying in my experience (work a lot with benefits from an IT perspective).

I have to think that with all the complications they won't deny him. It might just depend on the luck of the draw on whomever you get as you to examine your claim.

Sangye
08-16-2011, 12:58 PM
John should easily qualify for SSDI. The Weggies that have trouble are those who don't have severe disease and/or those who go back to work. John's case is so severe and has caused widespread damage that he should get approved the first time through.

It is very important to apply asap because it takes about 5 months to get approved assuming there are no delays or rejection, etc.... They do not reimburse for those 5 months, either. They expect you to have the money to survive for that time. Dale, I don't understand how you got paid retroactively for those first months.

I was approved right off the bat. I applied at the end of June and got approved by November/December. I was in such bad shape the examining doctor authorized it as soon as he saw me. LOL

Sangye
08-16-2011, 01:05 PM
This explains the 5 month waiting period.
Waiting period for Social Security disability (http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/151)

renidrag
08-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Maybe it was because of the STD in September and LTD rollover in December, and application in March? Who knows how the government thinks.
Dale

Sangye
08-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Yeah, it must have been your other disability insurance paying you. SSDI is very strict about not paying for the first 5 months.

Trudy
08-17-2011, 02:50 PM
My husband gets Social Security Disability. He actually got approved in 7 weeks. It seems the more concrete proof (tests, blood work, etc)- the easier to get approved. He has polyneuropathy in both feet and both hands. I think the test he had was an electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction testing (NCV). They also will back pay your benefits (up to 12 months) from the date you applied to the date you get approved. He made a 3 ring binder of all his information and took it to the SS office. Also they are all for you going back to work if your situation improves, and it is on a trial basis so you do not have to reapply if it does not work out. He did say the test is rather painful. They stuck needles in his muscles and tested with electric shocks.

Sangye
08-18-2011, 02:08 AM
They also will back pay your benefits (up to 12 months) from the date you applied to the date you get approved.
That's not what SSDI says on their website or the policy they stick to. Very odd!

Trudy
08-18-2011, 02:26 AM
That's not what SSDI says on their website or the policy they stick to. Very odd!
Actually that was 4 years ago, so you are probably right that it might have changed since.

Sangye
08-18-2011, 02:33 AM
I applied 5 years ago and that was the policy then! LOL I'm just glad your husband got approved and taken care of.

Trudy
08-18-2011, 03:13 AM
You made me wonder!? We have very helpful people at our local SS office. It seems you have to be approved right away to get the back pay. If you get turned down and have to reapply you don't get it. The whole thing is very confusing, but I found a site that explains it fairly well. It would be worth John trying to get approved as soon as possible. Here is the link
Social Security Disability - What is Back Pay? (http://www.socialsecurity-disability.org/glossary/social-security-back-pay)
Also here is the SS link explaining when they will waive that 5 month waiting period.
How We Decide If You Are Disabled, continued: Disability Planner (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify6.htm)
Hope this is helpful to those of you needing it

drz
08-18-2011, 03:15 AM
My husband gets Social Security Disability. He actually got approved in 7 weeks. It seems the more concrete proof (tests, blood work, etc)- the easier to get approved. He has polyneuropathy in both feet and both hands. I think the test he had was an electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction testing (NCV). They also will back pay your benefits (up to 12 months) from the date you applied to the date you get approved. He made a 3 ring binder of all his information and took it to the SS office. Also they are all for you going back to work if your situation improves, and it is on a trial basis so you do not have to reapply if it does not work out. He did say the test is rather painful. They stuck needles in his muscles and tested with electric shocks.

I remember the test as generally uncomfortable with the most painful checks reserved for last. The doctor told me if we started with those no one would finish the test. The test helps determine how much loss or damage there is to you sensory nerves and your motor nerves. This info is useful in learning how to compensate for the neuropathy. I was able to learn to change the way I walked so I didn't stumble as much from my feet dropping due to damage to motor nerves.

I don't know what the current policy is for Social Security disability but when I had long term disability insurance the waiting period was six months from the time of onset of the disability which related to medical evidence like diagnosis or hospital admission. The benefits could be back dated to this time if it took awhile to apply. The short term benefits began after 10 days but only lasted 90 days. I wonder if Social Security uses date of onset of disability too.

One of the things that really puzzled me about Social Security disability was how difficult it was to qualify for people with physical disability and how easy it seemed to be for people with chronic alcoholism who generally used to benefits to continue drinking.

Trudy
08-18-2011, 03:58 AM
I was able to learn to change the way I walked so I didn't stumble as much from my feet dropping due to damage to motor nerves.

I didn't know alcoholics could get SS!

I have had a problem with drop foot, but it seems to come and go which I don't understand. I really have trouble in the morning to get my feet "moving" and they are totally numb. After I take my prednisone(20mg) it is much better.....do you know if this is typical? If you have any advice on moving better, I would love to hear it.

drz
08-18-2011, 07:21 AM
I didn't know alcoholics could get SS!

I have had a problem with drop foot, but it seems to come and go which I don't understand. I really have trouble in the morning to get my feet "moving" and they are totally numb. After I take my prednisone(20mg) it is much better.....do you know if this is typical? If you have any advice on moving better, I would love to hear it.

The links above list substance abuse as one of the diagnosis for the fast track I believe if you have drank to point of serious body damage. Many of the ones i knew drank themselves to death eventually.

In Physical Therapy for my balance they identified some problems in my gait from neuropathy and foot drop and gave me exercises to strengthen my feet, legs and hips and i think it has helped some but I just started them. I massage my feet for a few minutes every morning with lotion to get the circulation moving which seems to reduce the mumbness too. It also seems to help if I wear my Crocs inside to help massage the feet during the day too.