PDA

View Full Version : Why does GPA (Wegener's ) cause ........?

drz
08-15-2011, 03:02 AM
My question about GPA is more about why it does what it does to my body. Like scaling in nasal passage even when I am considered in remission it doesn't go away but does decrease. The bloody crusts I can understand if it attacks small blood vessels when it is active as there are many of those in the nose.

Also why or how does it cause it pain in joints when there appears to be no physical damage to the joints like in arthritis?

For me it easier to understand why I bleed in the lungs if it is destroy small blood vessels and like wise how it damages my kidneys the same way. Also if you get a granuloma I can see how that may damage your lungs or kidneys.

How did it cause my hearing loss? I assume it was either a granuloma or most likely attacking vessels that feed the nerves in inner ear.

Why does it attack the eyes, small blood vessels again i guess?

Why doesn't it attack the brain or liver more often since they also are filled with lots of small vessels or maybe it does and we don't know it since those organ are tougher and more resilient and able to cope better with damage?

Sangye
08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
drz, I don't think anyone knows the answer to some of those questions. Why doesn't Wegs commonly affect the liver and brain? Wegs just has a preference for certain tissues and no one knows why.

The joint pain seems to be due to general inflammation that accompanies Wegs.

Psyborg
08-15-2011, 09:44 PM
It almost makes one wonder if there are not multiple closely related diseases here rather than a single one. I know, I know, lets not muddy the water any more than it already is. :) Just the pure randomness of the whole thing. I'd love to understand why the Wegs chooses that targets it picks too.

Sangye
08-16-2011, 12:21 AM
I think your question about multiple closely-related diseases is something the researchers wonder about as well. We know that having one AI disease makes you more prone to developing another, and we know that there are some AI processes that don't really fall into any known disease category. Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder is one-- that condition is all over the place and is probably actually more than one disease.