PDA

View Full Version : B cell repopulation and when to re-administer Rituxan?

Palmyra
08-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Just wondering if any of you had opinions from the experts on when to re-administer Rituxan, if B cells are repopulating, and some worrisome symptoms are creating some 'back ground noise'.

My daughter has been on RTX since original diagnosis in 2006. Her first 3 infusions were four infusions, over 4 weeks, and resulted in a drug induced remission of a year or longer.

This most recent (Feb/March of 2011) was two infusions at higher dose, at two week intervals, and she is currently showing B cell repopulation.

I don't really know what to read into this, but don't want her going into a full fledged flare.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Palmyra Jane

drz
08-14-2011, 02:04 AM
I think you find a variance in opinions on this issue like many others. My treating rheumatologist said his philosophy is not to use RTX for me unless I have a real serous flare that can't be handled other wise. He does not want to use it as a preventative measure for me. My last flare was handled successfully by increasing azathioprine and adding nasal steroids and lots of antibiotics. Other doctors like to use RTX as a maintenance measure. This same debate is also going on in treating cancer patients where it is also used and there is no research yet to prove either method is superior.

Sangye
08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Palmyra, I asked Dr Seo about all this at my last appt. See this link (page 3) for his comments
http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/1874-questions-dr-search-engine-optimization-3.html