PDA

View Full Version : Happy Pills?

Jack
07-30-2011, 08:13 AM
How many on the Forum take pills to ward off depression?

Because things have not been going great for the past few weeks, I find myself under a lot of strain. It's not exactly what I would describe as depression, but I do tend to break down and cry occasionally. It can't be good for my daughter to see this, but its not exactly done by choice!

I have now started wondering if pills would help or would they just introduce another possible problem? I've managed to handle this thing for over 25 years so you would think I would have it pinned down by now. Perhaps I'm just worn out.

pberggren1
07-30-2011, 08:58 AM
This is a tough one Jack. I have always been against using such meds but then again I have never felt that I needed them. But I know a few other people that swear they need them just to function each day.

delorisdoe
07-30-2011, 09:18 AM
My mom told me that before she was on an antidepressant and something upsetting would happen she would cry and get verry upset. Her doctor got her on an antidepressant and once they got the dossage right she was able to react to events, even upsetting ones in a way she felt was more appropriate. I have had employees in the past who were made in to zombies that just did not deal with anything at all.

Psyborg
07-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I am, though it was for anger based issues rather than depression. I'll be honest, I didn't realize I was acting inappropriately as often as I was until I was on the Citralopram. I would never have probably done it as my opinion had always been similar to Phil's, but when it starts affecting loved ones it becomes no longer an option (IMO).

Sangye
07-30-2011, 12:36 PM
I think antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers are certainly needed sometimes. Not only does chronic illness take a toll emotionally, but pred causes imbalances in the brain's chemistry that can easily lead to depression, bipolar syndrome or other problems. People who think meds for depression have no place have no understanding of depression.

jola57
07-30-2011, 02:05 PM
To date I have not needed any mood meds and cannot think that I would ever need them, however if at any time my mood affected loved ones around me I wouldn't think twice about taking them. I can only hope that I would know myself or have someone tell me that I need them. Take them Jack and see how you feel in couple of months.

Palmyra
07-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Oh Jack,

I am the mother of a Weggie, and the occasional surfer here on site, but I can tell you that medication for even moderate depression means the world to me. I have been on something or another for years, and have been through personal trials of no meds to see 'what happens' without. The issue of medication for an antidepressant is not just a WG issue, but one that is of much larger proportions. I know for a fact that I function much better with a little help from big pharma, no matter my current circumstance.

To reep benefit is not to give in or cave...it is to find mercy and some bliss from a fetal position.

vdub
07-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Same as Bob..... citalopram, aka celexa. It takes a few weeks to start working (several weeks) but you do feel better. I have been on 20mg per day for about 3 years. They put me on it right after all this stuff started. I have been thinking about asking for a raise, but I know that too much sometimes leads to setatonin syndrome witch can lead to a night in the psych ward.

Another drug that acts a lot faster than citalopram is lorazepam. Lorazepam works quickly and can be taken on bad days. I have a bottle of lorazepam, but have never taken one. Ask your doctor about both. I think things would be very difficult for me without the celexa.....

pberggren1
07-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I think antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers are certainly needed sometimes. Not only does chronic illness take a toll emotionally, but pred causes imbalances in the brain's chemistry that can easily lead to depression, bipolar syndrome or other problems. People who think meds for depression have no place have no understanding of depression.

So very true.

renidrag
07-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I take my happy pill every morning. Alprazolam, (Xanex) has been good for me. They said I could take three a day but when I found out it could be addictive, I only took one. If I get out of my "comfort zone" I will take another but not so often.
Dale

Psyborg
07-30-2011, 10:15 PM

I used to be one of those people. While my current usage is not as much for depression, I now appreciate the need. It's one of the silver linings for me, one of those things I have a completely different understanding of now.

Sangye
07-31-2011, 12:40 AM
I used to think that, too which is why I said it. LOL

Dale, xanax is highly addictive. One of the most addictive drugs on the market, actually. I'm glad to hear you're careful.

I wanted to clarify something about meds for depression since this thread is called "happy pills." I know you probably didn't mean it this way Jack but antidepressants don't actually make you happy. Many people think that's the case. Antidepressants normalize the brain chemistry, which means returning to a normal state, not an elated one.

norcalian
07-31-2011, 05:43 AM
It would make sense that with all that this disease does to us and all the medication that we have to take that it could effect the chemical balances in our brain (serotonin, dopamine, etc). Therapy helps, but often in a lot of cases, we need some form of medication to help balance the neurotransmitters in our brain. There are a ton of different types and they all can have different effects at differing degrees...some do make some people like zombies (they need to get back to their doctors for a change in meds or dose) but their are some mild ones to start with. Lexipro is one that a lot of people seem to like and is not too strong (I work with a lot of adolescents who take that one). I would talk with your doctor about seeing a psychiatrist (they're the best to figure out the prescriptions and doses). And to echo what Drz said, most SNRIs and SSRIs (antidepressants) take a couple of weeks for the therapeutic effects to start - so you have to patient with them.

freakyschizogirl
07-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Over the last 6 months my moods have swung from incredibly happy to the lowest of the low. I would walk my dog and just cry - for no reason, i just had to cry. I didn't understand why i was so sad. Its easy to blame it on the Pred but i definately was and i was a monster, i was even starting to feel bi-polar and like i couldnt control my feelings. After a meeting with one of my doctors ended badly i was hysterical and crying so hard i didnt know where it came from and i scared my sister.

Luckily, whatever pred induced imbalance has stabilized itself and i feel like me again but if you feel like you need it Jack go and consult your GP. Many hugs x

Jack
08-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Since I am now on this Virtual Hospital Ward I think I'll start by discussing it with the Matron when I next see her. I have an appointment during the next week or so - must check when it is. ;)

drz
08-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Since I am now on this Virtual Hospital Ward I think I'll start by discussing it with the Matron when I next see her. I have an appointment during the next week or so - must check when it is. ;)

Can we send you virtual flowers too to your virtual hospital ward?:wink1::biggrin1:
Let us know how she sees you in terms of whether she thinks you might be depressed or likely to benefit from any anti depressant meds.

The mood swings with the treatment from this disease can really be something and a rather foreign experience at times.

freakyschizogirl
08-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Let us know what the virtual food tastes like!