PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sangye

Sangye
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
(General stuff I learned at today's appointment with Dr Seo: http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/1874-questions-dr-search-engine-optimization-3.html#post44925 )

Regarding my own case...
1) I gotta do the 4-infusion protocol of rtx from now on. The 2 infusions I did in February clearly didn't work. It's probably because I'm so ginormous (see above thread).

2) Since rtx is my only option, ever since I started it the plan was to space out treatments as far as possible to minimize exposure. When the Wegs started waking up I had to hold on as long as I could without waiting too long. It was nightmarish. As we all know it can be very difficult to tell what's going on. I basically was losing 5 months before every round to feeling increasingly awful. I'd go into the next rtx treatment super weak, and the treatments would weaken me even more.

At my last visit we had decided to do rtx every 6 months instead of waiting for the Wegs to wake up. This was going to spare me a lot of suffering and eliminate the constant anxiety of "Is this Wegs?" Apparently that decision was based on doing the 2-infusions. Now that I have to do 4 infusions each time, he wants me to try to make it a year. He really wants to limit my exposure to rtx. (I've already had 4 rounds, which he says is a lot.) Also, he said the more rtx you get the better it works. So the theory is that those 4 rounds behind me will give me more time between treatments. He believes I'll be able to make it a year without the crash and burn. I expressed my doubts.

Having lived through this a number of times I am really dreading the months of crash and burn before we agree it's time to re-treat. I'm constantly losing any ground I've made. The last time I was able to exercise in a pool was 8 months ago (!!!) when the Wegs started waking up. I think I'm gonna let myself have a few good cries over this. :sad::sad:

3) I'm gonna try switching to hydrocortisone from pred.
The endocrinologist I saw recently will handle this. This is to try to get my adrenals to wake up so I can go off it altogether. Dr Seo thinks it probably won't work and I'll have to try it again next year. But he feels it's worth a try.

Okay, that's basically it.

norcalian
07-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Thank you so much for the information! I'm really sorry for all the crap you're going through with the RTX treatments. I really hope that this new treatment approach somehow works for you.

vdub
07-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Not good news at all.... How long will you feel crappy after a 4-set infusion? I guess what I'm asking is how much of the year will you actually feel new-normal?

Hydorcortisone is not too bad. You gain weight of course. And you heat up -- my new most favorite temp outside is about 55F and 25% humidity. Anything above that and I don't feel comfortable. One plus is that the hydro makes you sweat a lot, so excessive salt will be in your new diet -- food tastes great.

Keep us posted! I'm really sorry you have to go thru all this....

me2
07-28-2011, 07:10 PM
My doc has mentioned that he has several people he is treating every six months. I'm now one of them. I will get a single dose instead of two or four. I started with four way back when because I requested it. The were already treating people with two but I wanted four. After reading what you have said about the cummulative nature of rtx it sounds like it might have been a good idea to start with four. I didn't really get much better at that time.
It wasn't as dramatic as the cytoxan. I can't take any more cytoxan as per Dr Langfords recent advice.
She was the one who also encouraged me that rtx could work better for me this time than it did in the past. News to me.
Good news... apparently somethinng is working better. I am on a path of steady improvement that I have not seen for many years.
There are still ups and downs but the general trend is towards better. I attribute this to increased effectiveness of rtx this time round.
My other things are not radically dfiferent than from what I have done before.
It would take me a book to tell all that I have been through these past twelve years. Hospitals, ER's, MRI, brain damage, lungs , joints, mouth, sinus, etc but I want to throw out a word of encouragement to others taking the LONG path. It CAN get better. I was starting to have my doubts
(I guess my natural optimism has a half life of about twelve years)
It also can change for the better with the same capricious captain that made it get worse.
Even now that I am an old guy I am astounded at the bodies ability to heal and recover. Of course its not giving me the body of a 20 year old back so I exect to retain a few complications. I'm just glad to not be fighting to stay alive every minute of every day.
Hang in there my friends.

Psyborg
07-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Sorry for your difficulties Sangye :( I hope that the Hydrocortisone treatment works out for you.

Sangye
07-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Not good news at all.... How long will you feel crappy after a 4-set infusion? I guess what I'm asking is how much of the year will you actually feel new-normal?

Hydorcortisone is not too bad. You gain weight of course. And you heat up -- my new most favorite temp outside is about 55F and 25% humidity. Anything above that and I don't feel comfortable. One plus is that the hydro makes you sweat a lot, so excessive salt will be in your new diet -- food tastes great.

Keep us posted! I'm really sorry you have to go thru all this....
Thanks vdub. Dr Seo felt certain that I'll get stronger in the year before the next rtx and that I won't crash and burn. Sounds great, but like I said it's never worked that way before. A 4-set infusion makes me feel awful for 6-8 weeks (counting from the 1st infusion). Once that's worn off, I've lost ground due to inactivity for 6-8 weeks. So under the best case scenario (ie, I make it to 1 year without Wegs waking up and without any other complications), I'm still losing 2 months a year and taking another 2 months to catch up physically.

Thanks for the info about hydrocortisone. I already have all those side effects from pred! The endocrinologist said hydrocortisone should be somewhat easier to tolerate. There's a lot of trial and error with getting the dose right, and I have to say I'm apprehensive about doing it. The devil you know vs the devil you don't. I just hope we get it leveled out long before the Wegs starts waking up. I wouldn't be able to tell what's going on at all. Maybe I would.

Man, I'm a bucket of worry today. I gotta get a handle on that.

Brooke
07-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Sangye, I hope that last Ritxuan round you had will make you much stronger and if/when you need it again, it wont' be so bad. Try to stay positive and listen to what Dr. Seo said.

Sangye
07-29-2011, 01:38 AM
That's the thing-- it isn't just a case of staying positive. It's that I've been down the road so many times before. After my 2nd round in March, 2010 he was sure I'd make it a year. I didn't. I made it 7 months and then went through hell for 4 months trying to make it to a year. Then he was sure the 2 infusions in February would work just as well as 4. They didn't, and I went through hell some more.

His info is based on hundreds of Weggies, so it's not his error. But I'm the one getting burned.

NicShaf
07-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Sangye,
I hope this new plan really works for you this time:)

Jules
07-29-2011, 02:49 AM
Hang in there Sangye! Someone recently sent me a card which said "tough times don't last, tough people do!". And if it's positive thinking is a step to far for you at the moment . . . take comfort from the fact that I am sure you have a whole website of weggies thinking/wishing positive thoughts for you.:hug2:

drz
07-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks vdub. Dr Seo felt certain that I'll get stronger in the year before the next rtx and that I won't c

Man, I'm a bucket of worry today. I gotta get a handle on that.

Sounds like good material for your next therapy session, (smile):biggrin1:

ScreaminMeanie
07-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Oh dear, I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble. I haven't been around much lately - it's summer, and I live in a resort destination, so the company load has been heavy for the last couple months - but I think about all of you every day.

watersedge
07-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Hope this treatment plan works for you Sangye, you deserve a break big time, thinking of you.

RCOSSIO
07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey Sangye...365 day minus 1 and counting. Gosh the last 2 years feels like you were the pinata and Wegeners the stick. When you get through this promise to give a Wegs Pinata and you beat the $.... out of it.

Good luck my friend!

Sangye
07-29-2011, 02:03 PM
LOL thanks Richard. It's actually been longer than 2 years. The Wegs dog has been chasing me all over the place since 2005

pberggren1
07-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Batman has your back Sangye. You will get through this. If I can get through what I have been going through the last couple of years you will be able to handle what ever comes your way. It is no doubt difficult to deal with wegs in any form. And of course the uncertainty of it all is very scary and worrisome.

jola57
07-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Sangye, I hope this regimen finaly kicks wegs goodbye for a while and gives you much deserved rest. I also hope the 4 times will be easier every year, than the 2 times every 6 months.

Brooke
07-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Hugs to you Sangye! Try to stay positive and strong... I know that is easier said than done but know that we are here when you need to vent!
Didn't Dr. Seo say that the more times you have Rituxan the better it works? Maybe I misunderstood..
My doc at Mayo said that she had one patient with some lung involvement and the Rituxan didnt' help the lungs with the first round but they tried it again and it helped a lot. I am not sure how long between infusions they waited.
We hope that this last round for you works!!

Sangye
07-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks Brooke. Yes, he did say that rtx works better the more times you get it. I am not convinced of that yet. It's difficult, because he has to base decisions on how most people respond to rtx, but my personal case has been quite different.

Sangye
07-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I really appreciate that. :smile1:

jola57
07-30-2011, 02:20 PM
You are always there for us, this is just to tell you we :wub: you

Sangye
07-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks, Jolanta. :smile1:

elephant
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Sangye, thanks again for all your WG info from Dr. Seo. There is a lite at the end of the tunnel and the dog is sleeping!

Chris G
08-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry things have been looking so grim for you lately Sangye. I hope you've found something to lift your spirits in the last few days.....bunnies maybe?:rolleyes1:

Bunnies, and all of us here who wish you well !!

Psyborg
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Sangye I hope you start to feel better soon. I struggle to find the correct response to some folks because I am afraid of sounding trite perhaps, but I really do feel horrid for those of you struggling long term. I hate this stupid disease, it makes no sense how it works, and I can't stand not being able to concretely understand things. We all love and appreciate the help you give us, and I feel like my recovery would not have been so straight forward had I not found this forum and the experienced people that help us to understand the disease as much as it can be understood.

Sangye
08-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks you guys. I'm still having a tough time with it but that's probably exacerbated by the fact that I still don't feel that great. Lots of pain, tired, etc.... Not the bone-crushing pain and fatigue of highly active Wegs, but enough to keep me from exercising, even in the pool.

GARYfromBOSTON
08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Sangye, long time no see. Sorry to hear you're struggling. I'm pulling for you, keep your head up!

Sangye
08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
It's great to see you, Gary! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you're doing well. :smile1:

Dumpy
08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
i'm sorry to post without reading awhile first. Sorry to hear that you have been having a ruff time. You are one of the main ones that supports everyone that comes on this site and are greatly appreciated. You are the glue that keeps everbody together. Thanks:hug3:

Sangye
08-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Aww, thanks Dumpy! I think there's a lot of glue in our group, though. Maybe Wegs makes you sticky? :biggrin1::blink: