PDA

View Full Version : Vit. B12, Energy and Immune System

TOBEY32
07-22-2011, 05:03 AM
My sis keeps encouraging me to take some form of B12 to help with my lack of energy, but B vits are immune system "enhancing", which I thought we were to steer away from. I was taking iron which helped but, but my doc said bloodwork showed I was retaining iron. Why would it give me a boost ... if I never needed it in the first place!?
Have you been there yourself? David

pberggren1
07-22-2011, 06:09 AM
This is interesting David. Do you still take an iron supplement right now? Do you take a B12 right now as well?

NicShaf
07-22-2011, 09:39 AM
David,
I would ask your doc about any immune enhancing vitamins you are considering. Like you, I thought that this was counter-productive, and have steered clear of them. I'm sure your sister has the best intentions in mind, but sometimes it is easier to say "you should do this or that" when it’s not your body that is being affected. My mom tells me all kinds of things I "should" do, but I always take it with a grain of salt because I know my body better than she does.
I haven't had any issues with my iron, so I didn't take any supplements for that. I take a multivitamin and Vitamin D & Calcium because my blood work showed these were low. I also eat more potassium because I was lacking in that. But other than what my tests show, I don't mess around with anything that could disrupt my Wegs and all the progress I've made.

Sangye
07-22-2011, 09:59 AM
David, B12 only helps if you need B12. It's a mistake to use supplements like a drug. If you take more B12, you will inevitably imbalance the other B vitamins and cause other problems. See a holistic doctor to find out what to take and ignore the advice of people who are untrained.