PDA

View Full Version : Working Towards a Goal...

Pmarsh
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I thought I would use this forum to write about my progress towards a goal I set while I was in the hospital last October. First, a little about me and my condition... I'm 32 and was very healthy and active before diagnosis in October 2010. I was a competitive triathlete and road bike racer, and former international level swimmer. I started having sinus symptoms many months before I ended up with major bleeding in my lungs. I followed the route of many on this forum. Some time in ICU, pulse steroids, 6 doses of Cyclo, and lots of predisone. I made good progress through the winter, but had a flare up after switching to Imuran in April. This flare up resulted in nodules forming in my lungs. So, I started back on Cyclo in May, more pulse steroids, and upped the Pred from 7.5 to 50mg. It was a setback.

Back to my goal. While I was in the hospital I wanted to get from being basically unable to get out of bed, to doing something physically demanding as fast as possible. I set many small goals, but my big recovery goal was to race in and complete a big bike race in September 2011. It is a 125km bike race that runs from Vancouver to Whistler (Canada). It has some serious hill climbing along the route. I have a small team of friends who will do it with me, along with close to 7000 other people.

Unfortunately this setback has me training through higher doses of Pred and ongoing Cyclo treatments. Not what I hoped for at this point. It's been manageable though. I get out on the bike 2-3 times per week, and head to the gym 1-2 a week if the weather is bad. My longest training ride so far is 80km. I hope to continue building up my condition so that I am able to complete this ride, but also do it as quickly as I can.

I'm writing this to help me track my progress, but also I hope to show others what someone with WG can physically do - even someone with active WG and on heavy meds. It's not easy - I still have trouble getting used to a new pace - but it is possible. I know I can still ride my bike faster and further than 98% of the population. I'll keep posting about my progress over the next month and a half. Hopefully it provides some inspiration.

All the best!
Peter

pberggren1
07-17-2011, 04:01 PM
All I can say is WOW!

You have done very well Peter. I think that you being in such good physical shape before Wegs hit is why you have recovered so well and are able to do such intense training again like a 80km ride. I never did rides that far but did do a few 30 and 40km runs but now I can barely walk around the block without being out of breath.

Geoff
07-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Fantastic Peter!!

Hold on to your dreams and aspirations. Please keep us informed as to your progress and I wish you all the very best! :thumbup:

Chris G
07-18-2011, 12:00 AM
That's truly terriffic Peter! How do you deal with the fatigue? The fatigue is what keeps me from doing much of what I want to do. If I over do it one day, I'm completely void of energy the next day.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Sangye
07-18-2011, 02:20 AM
Happy to hear you're out having fun, Peter. :smile1:

NicShaf
07-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Good for you, Peter. Keep up the good work...just don't overdo it:)

Pmarsh
07-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Fatigue hasn't been too much of an issue for me. I make sure I rest when I feel I need to and I pretty much always get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. Luckily the Pred hasn't made sleeping too bad. I do certainly feel more tired after a workout than I did before, but not too bad. The gym is much harder than going for a bike ride. I managed a hard 60km ride yesterday that included a 1500m mountain climb. It was a slow go but I made it. I really try to do my rides without pushing too hard - slow and steady with no big spikes in effort. It's a hard change because I was used to racing and always wanting to push myself and my riding partners. Now I just drop back at my own pace on the uphills, then reply on my slightly increased mass (pred induced of course) to catch me up on the downhill;).

Runcolerun
07-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Keep it up Peter! Thanks for the inspirational post.

Psyborg
07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
It is awesome that you are able to do that much biking, I can do moderate rides, but anything that long is out of my abilities :)

My only suggestion is to watch your knees with the Prednisone. That seems to be the only part on me that gets tired when I ride, and I imagine that is due to stress on the joint. Just don't rupture anything and set yourself back.

johnyenglish
07-25-2011, 07:09 PM
HI Peter, your story sounds very similar to mine, I was diagnosed in May 2009 after spending a week in hospital virtually unable to walk, passing and coughing up blood. I was a very fit 43 year old and had recently competed in the Helvelyn Triathlon, Great North Run and had a good season of Time trialing and local road races on the bike. The change in life certainly takes a bit of getting used to whilst on the meds but all I can say is that after 2 years I am back to about 85% of my previous fitness and covering 200+ miles a week on the bike. I'm still on Methotrexate, Warfarin, Enallapril and Nifedipine and have 'off' days but in general I'm feeling great. Take it easy and don't try to do too much too soon, listen to your body and if you feel like resting then rest! You have plenty of time to get fit again once you start coming off the meds.

Cheers, John.

Sangye
07-26-2011, 01:07 AM
That's incredible, John. Count your lucky stars! :thumbsup:

johnyenglish
07-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Cheers Sangye,

I do, every day.

:thumbup:

RCOSSIO
07-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Nice...best way to get rid of pred fat.