PDA

View Full Version : I Made It. Holy Cow.

Sangye
07-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Today was the last day of HH Dalai Lama's teachings and empowerment here in DC. (Tomorrow is actually the last day, but today was the last day I'm attending) I went for 3 days in a row, had one day off, and then another 3 days in a row. I had to take the subway every day (wearing a face mask), stand in long lines and walk tons (for me) in record heat and in huge, vertigo-worsening crowds. (There were about 20,000 people in the center where it was held)

Holy cow. I barely made it through. Every day was worse and worse, and today I had to fight back tears of exhaustion and pain by the time I arrived there. Every day my legs filled up with enormous amounts of fluid due to all the standing and walking. I was in a great deal of pain sitting. I'd say I'm toast but I'm so far past that--I think I'm the burned crumbs that fall out of the bottom of the toaster. :biggrin1:

It was totally worth it, though. I plan to spend the next several days in bed. And peeing off this fluid from my legs. LOL

norcalian
07-16-2011, 10:06 AM
That is true dedication. It's inspiring. I'm glad that it was such a fulfilling experience. Good for you for enduring. I hope you have a quick recovery!

Chris G
07-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm glad u made it through & I hope u enjoyed every second of it.

drz
07-16-2011, 12:37 PM
You can now take some time to meditate and apply what you learned.

vdub
07-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Poolesville to DC is a long way for mass transit! Glad you made every day and enjoyed it. It's about time you have some fun.....

Jack
07-16-2011, 06:17 PM
It was obviously an event of supreme importance to you Sangye and something you will be able to look back upon with a sense of fulfilment.
:thumbsup:
Now get yourself to bed and give your body a break! :wink1:

DEE
07-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Glad you made ,now please rest . DEE X:hug1:

delorisdoe
07-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Holy Cow indeed. :biggrin1:

Fran
07-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm sure you must have a wonderful sense of achievement Sangye - I hope you have happy, peaceful thoughts while you rest.:thumbup:

Fran

Sangye
07-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Thank you, everyone! I'm going to write about some of it on my blog and post links to videos, too. Cardinal McCarrick (past Archbiship of DC) came on Thursday and I'll post the link to that very sweet video, too.

elephant
07-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Take an easy Sangye, I admire your strength.

Sangye
07-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Elephant. I rested all day yesterday and today. I'm hoping I can function outside the house tomorrow, but if I can't it's okay. I can wait until Tuesday to get some errands done.

NicShaf
07-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Feel better, Sangye!

Brooke
07-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Sangye, are you feeling better after this round of Rituxan? Do you think it is working? I sure hope so!

Sangye
07-19-2011, 03:27 AM
I can't tell yet, Brooke. The Dalai Lama event was at week 7 post-rtx, just when it would normally be kicking in. I overdid it so much for the entire week and am wiped out. So the picture is still too cloudy to tell. I think I'll have a better idea by the end of the week.

Sangye
07-19-2011, 03:38 AM
It was so odd being at the event surrounded by thousands of people who had no idea I was sick. One day the exit had a major hitch and we had to stand shoulder-to-shoulder in an enormous crowd for at least 45 mins. It was quite frightening, as there was no way to get out of it. Thankfully it was the day that I felt the strongest and I managed okay. When I got to the exit, there was no way I could go outside in the heat and stand around waiting for my friends.

I saw a chair right inside the exit and asked a guard if I could sit there. He said "No, everyone has to leave." I had a cane with me (helped a lot!) and explained that I was sick and quite weak. But you know how it is, we just don't look sick. He wouldn't budge. Finally I just grabbed the chair and sat down. I said, "I don't care if you don't believe me. I know I don't look as sick as I am. But I'm not getting up until my friends come!" LOL He let me stay. Later he realized I really did need to sit and was very kind.

DEE
07-19-2011, 05:13 AM
[QUOTE=Sangye;44527] "I don't care if you don't believe me. I know I don't look as sick as I am. But I'm not getting up until my friends come!
Good one Sangye !!!!!!!! Jobsworth :flapper::thumbsup::thumbup:

Natalie
07-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Glad you got to see him Sangye , big effort for you , I think it will boost your health :w00t: nothing wrong with a bit of pure excitement , everything else gos out the window :hug3:
keep the positives alive and kicking inside from your experience :thumbsup:

Brooke
07-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Hope you are getting some rest and feeling better Sangye.

Sangye
07-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks! I've been having weird headaches and feeling sore all over (not Wegs sore, but really odd). I saw my chiropractor on Tuesday and felt better within a few hours. Yesterday I felt pretty decent--first time in months. But then today I woke up lousy again. I could tell by the middle of the night that I wasn't going to feel well. This is so frustrating. I'm a morning person and really miss feeling good in the morning.

Jack
07-22-2011, 12:27 AM
In spite of all the messages of support, you know that we all secretly feel you were overdoing it a bit, right? :rolleyes1:

Never mind, sometimes these things are well worth it and we need to do them and hang the consequences. I make these trade offs all the time so please don't think I'm trying to tick you off! :wink1: I'm sure you just need a bit of recharging time, so please get well (or at least better!) soon.

Sangye
07-22-2011, 12:30 AM
LOL Jack, I knew I was overdoing it a LOT. But there was no way around it in my book. It was an example of the benefits very much outweighing the risks.

MCC
07-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Yay, well done Sangye, glad to hear you were able to go!

I went to one of his teachings in India, was wonderful.
(http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=m6c&pwst=1&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&sa=X&ei=cF4oTuTDDsOYhQeZyeyLCg&ved=0CCkQvwUoAQ&q=mcleod+ganj&spell=1)