PDA

View Full Version : What to expect?

Runcolerun
07-16-2011, 03:26 AM
So, after getting a second opinion, I have been informed that I am in remission and going to be off the cytoxan soon.

I will be on 10mg pred starting Aug 1, and moving off the cytoxan and on to Imuran.

I was wondering when I can see some of the pred side effects start to subside, and what to expect with the Imuran in terms of side effects/other issues to consider.

I understand it's still an immunosuppressant, but just curious as to how it reacts like cytoxan, etc.

Thanks!

Psyborg
07-16-2011, 03:34 AM
Being off CTX will probably make you feel significantly better. I didn't know how bad it made me feel until I was off.

What dose of Pred are you at now? Assuming the taper is done slowly you should be able to avoid any serious taper side effects.

As I understand it the negative affects of Pred seem to start diminishing as you taper down from 10 MG. I know I felt better at 5mg than I do at 10mg.

Runcolerun
07-16-2011, 03:57 AM
I'm at 15mg 1x daily now, and have been on 15 since July 1. My Pulmy said to taper to 10mg and hold for a while on Aug. 1,

I haven't been off the CTX since leaving the hosptial in April.

norcalian
07-16-2011, 07:20 AM
I can't speak for coming off of CTX - I did RTX...and I'm still on pretty high doses of pred (I will be going to 50 Mg/day this saturday...which is progress) but I can speak to Imuran, which I have been taking for a little over a month now. To be honest, I haven't really felt any side-effects from Imuran. It's been relatively mild...but of course that could be because I've experienced the full force and fury of the pred side-effects and everything else is minor or non-existant in comparison...

Jack
07-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Most people's experience of Imuran seems to be pretty good. I had no problems with it.

As far as Pred side effects go, you have to distinguish between the short term visible ones and the long term progressive ones.
The short term visible stuff such as weight gain usually starts to diminish at around 10mg (although it may not happen without some effort). Long term damage is much more serious and builds up over the years even on low doses. For the past 25 years I have been on 5mg and then 10mg and have suffered from about every side effect going, although not all! My body is a complete wreck, but I'm still alive. ;)