PDA

View Full Version : Weird weight loss

oaktreehill
07-10-2011, 01:51 AM
I have always enjoyed my food-sometimes too much and even though I'm tall at 5"10 have always been a little above average weight. Since taking steroids it has creeped up a bit but I have eaten like a horse and eating all the wrong things!

2 weeks ago I tried on a dress I'd bought for a wedding coming up in august. It wouldnt do up and was far too small. This morning I tried it on again and if anything it was too big!! My diet over the last two weeks has been awful as ive been on holiday from work enjoying myself a bit too much and the docs have even increased my steroids back up to 10mg per day. Only thing that has changed is that they stopped me taking methotrexate as it doesn't seem to be working. I'm wondering if stopping that has made the big difference to my weight because I certain haven't been dieting!!!!

pberggren1
07-10-2011, 06:30 AM
That does seem odd that you would lose that much weight in such a short period of time.

DEE
07-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Only thing that has changed is that they stopped me taking methotrexate as it doesn't seem to be working. I'm wondering if stopping that has made the big difference to my weight because I certain haven't been dieting!!!!

I lost two dress sizes when I stopped taking mxt and put it back on when I started taking cxt and high preds . I think our drugs affect us all differently,Im taking Imuran now and preds now and don't seem to be able to move off eight just now :( DEEx

TOBEY32
07-14-2011, 06:57 AM
I weigh almost 20lbs less than normal. I am on Cy and Pred. It has concerned me at times, because I know most people gain, but I'm just going with it. Wanna believe God would direct me to a doctor if something was wrong.

David

elephant
07-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Tobey, what elso is going on with you? Any fevers, pain, metalic taste in the mouth, stomach pain....etc.

vdub
07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm tapering off the mtx and, if anything, I'm gaining weight. It's a little early to tell, but I've been more hungry than ever and the scales are headed in the wrong direction....

elephant
07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Thats a good thing, having a good appetite means your feeling better. Methotrexate can make you feel like not eating.

vdub
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, that would be good then, wouldn't it! I need something good, but kind of wish it wasn't a weight gain. Oh, what the heck, what's another 10 pounds on top of the steroid 40. Maybe I'll start to feeling well enough to do some exercises or even work! Whoa! There's a concept!

Did my bi-monthly blood test today. Got the results back in 1 hr 20 minutes. A couple paramaters out of the normal range which were mostly pointing to a possible kidney issue. No worries....

pberggren1
07-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I hope you are alright vdub. You sound a bit frustrated. My creatinine is up to 111 now. It has been creeping up the last few weeks. It was 85 or so most of the time. I hope your creatinine is not doing the same.

vdub
07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm fine -- always a little frustrated.... I want to get off the mtx and have a small turn around. But I'm just not getting my hopes up.

How do they measure your creatinine? Mine is 1.0 on a scale of 0.7 - 1.2 mg/dl, so pretty much centerline perfect. BUN is also good. Sodium is centerline despite my salting absolutely everything; beer, ice cream, you name it. C-reactive is 0.3 on a scale of 0.0 - 0.8 mg/dl. All the blood tests are good except for MONO%, RDW, and PLT CT.

pberggren1
07-15-2011, 04:49 PM
On your scale my creatinine would be 1.11mg/dL.

vdub
07-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Looks like we are both pretty much centerline perfect! Certainly within the normal range.

RudiK
07-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Hey Phil, if your creatinine is at 1.11 that is pretty good, considering the circumstances. I'm very glad for you. Mine was at 2.14 and has now come down to 1.7, and my Neph things that it is great.
Rudi K.