PDA

View Full Version : in the hospital

shadow
07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Admitted ito hosp today. Blood clot right upper lung. Put on mega heprin not happy about. But told that if it moves could be stroke. I'm worried as I'm on cytoxan for 1 1/2 months. Io have been short of breath and was at another hospital and told it was venis deficenecy. I had to fight insurance but when I told them I have coughed up blood the last 3 days the said to go to nearest hosp.
Has anyone had this withbeing on heprin and cytoxan, with pred?
Shari

Kathie28
07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Shadow hang in there! I'm sorry to hear about the blood clot this happened to me two months ago when a clot moved from my leg to my lungs. I've never taken Cytoxin so I can't comment on that but I did take the shots while on high doses of Pred. They were not much fun but I didn't have to do them for to long. Once your blood is thin enough you will just be on a blood thinner medication. I'm still on that now. You continue it for about 6 to 9 months. At least I think that is the norm. I was in the hospital 2 nights at first then went home for a week and wound up back in the hospital for 5 days because I got worse before I got better, parts of my clot were continuing to move to my lungs. I probably got out of the hospital the first time to quickly. It took me a while to recover but I'm feeling much better now. I hope you get well really soon!

DEE
07-06-2011, 03:21 PM
I was taking cxt pred and heprin last year .I had been on cxt for 10mths and had been on preds continually for two years ! I stayed in hospital for ten days and then change to tablet form Warfarin just before I went home . had regular blood checks and stayed on the medication for 9 months. I had multiple clots on my right lung. The best advice I can give is dont rush anything,rest as much as you .It takes a while to get over.but I have been ok since .

shadow
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys I needed to I'm on the right course.it's great to have friends and family to talk to.
Shari

Jack
07-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Do not assume that blood clots are a result of medication since they are one of the high risks that go along with having Wegener's. Together with many others on here, I've had them in my legs and also my lungs so I now take Warfarin permanently. Don't treat them too lightly since they are potentially very dangerous.

Sangye
07-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Shari, I'm so sorry to hear about this! I got "uncountable" numbers of blood clots in my legs and lungs while on 1,000mg solumedrol, on my 3rd day after dx. I hadn't started ctx yet.

Wegs makes you 23 times more likely to get clots. (If your docs don't know this, tell them to look up the "WeCLOT" study) The risk seems to be highest when Wegs is active, though it can happen at any time in a Weggie.

The standard treatment is to start you on coumadin/warfarin and take heparin shots until the coumadin kicks in. Most people have to remain on coumadin for at least 6 months. I was on coumadin and got more clots, so I had to do the shots for 2.5 years. Now I'm back on coumadin permanently.

You may have to stay on coumadin for life. The risk of repeat clots is higher once you've formed them, and if they've gone to your lungs the risk for future clots is even higher. It's not a big deal, though I freaked out for a LONG time about it. Now it's very routine-- the least stressful of my drugs. When you're released, make sure you consult with a hematologist. It's extremely dangerous. Follow your doctor's orders to the tee.

Rose Cozzette
07-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Admitted ito hosp today. Blood clot right upper lung. Put on mega heprin not happy about. But told that if it moves could be stroke. I'm worried as I'm on cytoxan for 1 1/2 months. Io have been short of breath and was at another hospital and told it was venis deficenecy. I had to fight insurance but when I told them I have coughed up blood the last 3 days the said to go to nearest hosp.
Has anyone had this withbeing on heprin and cytoxan, with pred?
ShariI too had blood clots go to the lungs when I was first diagnosed. I have been told I will likely be on warfarin for life, take 3 mgs daily. did have clots in leg 2 mos. after dx also. sorry you are going thru this but as Jack said, seems to be WG. have hope and take care!

elephant
07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
When I was 16, I had a blood clot and I ignored it for a long time. Lucky Im alive, I stayed in the hospital for a week with IV heparin.

shadow
07-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Along with the vlood clot I have shingles. Oh well I'm still kicking and should be going home tomorrow
Shari

Sangye
07-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Oh Shari, I'm so sorry! How awful. You will get through this. Hugs to you. :hug2:

Rose Cozzette
07-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Along with the vlood clot I have shingles. Oh well I'm still kicking and should be going home tomorrow
Shariwell bummer! I also had shingles so hope they are done with very soon. those lidocaine patches really helped.

shadow
07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks we all need hugs. Home now. Trying to behave which is easy to tired for anything else

vdub
07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I hope you get those shingles under control soon. Very painful situation. I managed to get a shingles shot a year ago when I was off the mtx for a while. Not sure if the shot will ward of the evil spirits or not, but sure hoping so.

Rose Cozzette
07-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Thanks we all need hugs. Home now. Trying to behave which is easy to tired for anything elseso are you behaving? lol take care.

shadow
07-15-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a husband that won't let me do much he doesn't want repeat prefprmance.

Rose Cozzette
07-17-2011, 06:14 AM
I have a husband that won't let me do much he doesn't want repeat prefprmance.I hear you, have to get on my hubby to let me at least try things, I fel better now that I am more productive. tho not as much as I would like. :{