PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot

Dumpy
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Just wondering if any one had ever had any reaction to the flu shots like I did back in Oct. My Doc wanted me to get my flu shot which I did and I think that it is a good idea but am some what reluctant to after my reactions to it. I have always gotten the flu shot every year with no problems other than a sore arm. I got my flu shot one morning and by mid day I could tell that it wasn't going to be good. By late afternoon I was running fever of 102 and having chillls so bad and shacking uncontrolable. It happened to be a Friday so all I could was call the Doc. and was told to take asp. and call if it got any worse. The fever and chills would last for 1 1/2 to 2 hours then ease up, this lasted through the week end and on Monday I went to the Doc. The Doc that was on call could never figure out what caused it but he and my regular pulminologist told me that you can not get the flu from the shot. Well I'm not sure what it was but it sure seemed like a brief case of the flu.:confused:
I need to take a shot for pneumonia but am not sure if I want to after the flu shot.

Twice
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I suppose it depends which flu shot you had. When I was gowing up I wasn't allowed any 'live' vaccinations, including Polio, BCG or flu jabs. However, nowadays the flu jab tends not to be a live vaccine, and I wouldn't expect those sorts of symptoms to occur.

ps. very short answer but I'm late for work!

Sangye
02-24-2009, 02:35 AM
As a chiropractor I've given public talks on the vaccination controversy from a scientific point of view--using neither the knee-jerk ("You're young, old or sick so get the shot") nor the emotional ("You could die!") tactics medical doctors often use to convince patients to have a shot. I believe people should be given all the facts and all the science so they can make a truly informed decision and feel good about whatever they decide.

NVIC (http://www.nvic.org/)is one of the most respected Vaccine information groups. They are neither for nor against vaccines. They are against forced immunization programs, however. They have a number of excellent articles regarding the flu shot. The following two are from their site, but there are more there : This British Medical Journal article (http://www.nvic.org/Downloads/Jeffersonetal-BMJ2009.aspx) has some interesting findings about the reliability of studies showing flu vaccine effectiveness. This article from CBN.com (http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/475564.aspx) accurately quotes findings from several medical journals regarding problems with the flu vaccine itself and its effectiveness, and also has useful information about the flu and vitamin D, which Weggies are often lacking.

As with all the other medical procedures and drugs we use, it makes good sense to check out the facts first.

Jack
02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Always have a flu shot (and anything else going) and have never had a bad reaction.

andrew
02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
That kind of reaction is certainly new to me. Sorry you went through that. I've had the flu shot yearly and the Pneumonia shot as well with no reactions. Even with what happened to you, it would still be a good idea to have the Pneumonia shot IMO. Up to you of course.