PDA

View Full Version : My foot is swelling like crazy!

ArlaMo
06-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I've had my rtx infusions, my labs are looking (slowly) better, I'm tapering the pred (yay!!!!) but the last few days, my left foot has been incredibly swollen. I thought it was because I was on my feet a bit more than usual last weekend for my oldest son's HS graduation/party, but I have since tried to keep it elevated and it is still looking and feeling huge.

Only change in meds is the reduction in pred. I'm down to 20mg (from 40mg). Should I be concerned? It feels like the skin is stretched to the limit.

pberggren1
06-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Yes, you should be highly concerned. Wegs makes us much more prone to blood clots. Have you ever had clots in the past? Are you on a blood thinner? I would contact your doc ASAP because this is something like kidney failure. It can go from OK to death in a matter of hours.

RCOSSIO
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I am not on rtx...but I do know that there website says: "Common side effects in the WG and MPA study included infections, nausea, diarrhea, headache, muscle spasms, anemia, and peripheral edema (swollen hands and feet).

I would definitely call doc as Phil says clots can be a problem. Anyway good luck.

Sangye
06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Yup, gotta rule out a clot first.

How are you feeling otherwise?

ArlaMo
06-10-2011, 03:29 PM
No previous blood clots; not on any blood thinners. Have felt pretty decent since the rtx infusions in April other than my sinuses acting up (crusting...bleh!) My local doc is not in the office today or tomorrow. DH (he's an ortho) says blood clots usually present with a lot of pain in the calf and trouble walking, which I'm not having. He did have me put on compression socks. Do clots present differently in WGs patients?

Jack
06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
When I had blood clots in my leg, it was painful when I stood up, but OK when the leg was elevated. Very much as you would expect. However, I would get kidney function checked out. Some very simple tests can quickly rule out problems.

Sangye
06-11-2011, 01:01 AM
I had massive clots in both legs and had excruciating pain. My calf muscles actually went into tetany. However, that is not always the case. Some people have no other symptom but swelling. Are you on pred? That can mask pain.

Gotta check for clots and have labs for kidney function and inflammatory markers.