PDA

View Full Version : For the Ladies...

NicShaf
06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I have a sort of embarrassing question, but I really want to ask, so here it goes...
I've been having tenderness in my breasts for the past couple months. It has been getting progressively worse since I've started my treatment. Mostly during my...ehem... "time of the month", but sometimes just some soreness in the morning too. I bought some bras without underwire, and that seemed to help with the comfort.
My question is, is it due to my meds? Or my weight gain? I've put on about 40 lbs in the past 6 months. Personally, I think the weight is the culprit, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such a problem, or if I should see my PCP about it.
Thanks!

elephant
06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Ask your PCP and GYN doc. It is normal to have tenderness in your breast during menstration.

Sangye
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Prednisone messes up a lot of hormones, including progesterone and estrogen. Progesterone deficiency is rampant even among non-Weggies. It causes tenderness and fibrous breasts, worse during your period. A progesterone-deficiency can be easily treated with natural progesterone cream but I suggest you see a holistic physician like a naturopath for the proper care.

When I was treated at Mayo AZ, a gynecologist told me natural progesterone did not interfere with the other drugs we're on or with Wegs. Synthetic progesterone (aka progestins) in birth control pills act in an opposite way--increasing imbalances in the body, and worsen progesterone imbalances.

NicShaf
06-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks! I hadn't thought about Preds being a hormone and that messing up my other hormone levels. That makes me feel better:)

Sangye
06-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Pred is a corticosteroid affecting the adrenals, which produce 40 hormones. Hormones work by feedback loops, communicating with other hormones throughout the body. This is why any disturbance in the endocrine system causes a disruption to the entire body.

Rose
06-09-2011, 04:56 AM
My visit to the gynaecologist was a relief in some ways....no operation. Seems i have a cystocele (between a stage 1 and 2) and he has put me on premarin cream Ig each night for 7 days then twice week for 6 months and then I have to be re-evaluated. I hope it helps the UTI's. I feel that the recent UTI could be because the previous one was not totally cleared as I had developed another UTI within a few days of finishing the antibiotic. I have started myself on Cranberry tabs 500mg twice a day. I was also taking Vit C 2g for a few days until I saw an article saying even moderately high doses should not me taken if you have damaged kidneys as Vit C is excreted by the kidneys. Getting back to the premarin cream, hormones and interactions....could there be any interaction with other drugs i am on. Never thought to ask...... probably as it is a cream?

Sangye
06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Rose, premarin is a synthetic hormone that is very disruptive to the body, especially if you've been on pred (or currently are on it). It also raises your risk of blood clots. Weggies are already 23% more likely to develop blood clots. It raises your risk of cancer, and the Wegs drugs already do that.

Premarin won't do anything to heal a cystocele-- that might have to be surgically repaired if it's causing chronic UTI's. There are natural hormone alternatives that do not carry the risks of premarin.

2,000mg of Vitamin C is not harmful. That's not a high dose at all.

Rose
06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Sange I am so confused. Urologist said huge cyctocele causing UTI's and gynae saying that the cystocele is quite small and he does not opoerate on that. He says the tissues in that area are dry and also the Premarin cream could help by strenghthening the tissues and so give more support. Also, I do have a cystocele but that does not necessary mean that is what is causing thre UTI's. Most likely it is but they have to rule out all other possibilities before surgery for cycstocele IMO! I beleive there are quite a few urological causes for retaining urine in the bladder. During the cystosciopy the urologist dialated my urethra but apart from that there has been no fuether investigations...just sent to gynae
As for Vit C ....Below is the link to the article I read. Where would I find natural hormone alternatives?

Vitamin C Supplementation and CKD - Renal and Urology News (http://www.renalandurologynews.com/vitamin-c-supplementation-and-ckd/article/138500)

Sangye
06-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Since your docs don't agree on the size of the cystocele I suggest you get another opinion. The only explanation I can imagine for the discrepancy is that it's actually healing. I have no idea how likely or unlikely that is.

As far as the vitamin C, that article is about people on dialysis. The safety levels of several nutrients are much lower for people with extremely low kidney function who require dialysis. For example, potassium is an important nutrient but if your kidneys are in severe distress the amount must be limited. In addition, they are referring only to ascorbic acid--not true vitamin C, which is a combination of ascorbic acid and numerous other nutrients. Whole foods are a better source of true vitamin C than synthetic ascorbic acid.

You should see a naturopath for help with balancing hormones naturally.

Rose
06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks Sangye. Sure there is no healing (saw them 2 weeks apart) just a difference of opinion. I had actually seen another young gynae last Octobder and asked her if I had a cystocele as I was aware that I was not emptying my bladder. She said then that I did have one but that it was small. I told my GP this story after the urologist said I had a huge cystocele. Because of WG and the fact that I may need an operation he arranged for me to see at short notice a very experienced eminent gynae for his opinion....back to square one!

Yes, what you said about the those on dialysis does make a lot of sense. I was taking ascorbic acid as it increases acidity levels in urine and so helps prevent UTI's....or so I've read