PDA

View Full Version : Gpa

vdub
06-05-2011, 06:37 AM
I have no idea if granulomatosis wih polyangiitis (GPA) will be as common a reference to our disease as Wegener's is, but, just in case, I bought the domain name. It will take about 24 hours for the DNS to wiggle it's way around the world and populate the various top-level domain servers, but sometime tomorrow, you should be able to click on

http://www.granulomatosis-polyangiitis.com

and it will redirect you to this site.

I have no intentions of using the domain other than redirecting it to here and saving it for some other similiar use. If anyone wants the domain, just ask....

I did check to see if GPA.* was available and, no surprise, all those domains were gone.

Sangye
06-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Hey, that's great vdub. I wouldn't have thought of doing such a thing in a million years! (Which--ironically-- is how long it's gonna take me to even consider calling Wegs "GPA." :w00t: )

Stephanie78
06-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Did you know that WG was changed to GPA due to someone making an issue over the fact that Wegener (the dr who founded WG) Was a Nazi ??
Johns drs were explaining that to us this week. Like wegeners granulomatosis wasnt long enough...lets rename it with 20 more syllables geeze =)

renidrag
06-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Great idea vdub. I may have thought of it, but like the sheet rock screw I would have been a little late, nice job.
Dale

marta
06-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Did you know that WG was changed to GPA due to someone making an issue over the fact that Wegener (the dr who founded WG) Was a Nazi ??
Johns drs were explaining that to us this week. Like wegeners granulomatosis wasnt long enough...lets rename it with 20 more syllables geeze =)

No kidding. Have you tried to do a medical alert bracelet or jewelry with Wegener's Granulomatosis - it doesn't fit their specified space. What's gonna happen with the new one. Tattoo it down your leg?

vdub
06-05-2011, 10:42 PM
That is true.... Mayo doctor helped spearhead name change for disorder with Nazi namesake | Minnesota Public Radio News (http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/05/18/nazi-named-disorder-name-change/?refid=0)

Sangye
06-05-2011, 11:31 PM
No kidding. Have you tried to do a medical alert bracelet or jewelry with Wegener's Granulomatosis - it doesn't fit their specified space. What's gonna happen with the new one. Tattoo it down your leg?
ROTFL Can you imagine the size of the medallion you'd have to hang around your neck? We'd become famous. Walk in an ER with that thing and the staff would say, "Oh look, that's one of those Weggie Granny Pollyanna people. Don't stare." :laugh:

vdub
06-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Can you imagine the size of the medallion you'd have to hang around your neck?
At that point it's not a medallion..... It's BLING.... <que in rap music>

Sangye
06-06-2011, 12:05 AM
LOL! Exactly what I was picturing!

freakyschizogirl
06-06-2011, 05:11 AM

Any excuse for me to get another tattoo...!! :thumbsup::blushing:

Hammy8241
06-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Mayo doctor helped spearhead name change for disorder with Nazi namesake | Minnesota Public Radio News (http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/05/18/nazi-named-disorder-name-change/?refid=0)

Sorry, not interested in being politically correct - IMO he should 'butt out' and concentrate on solving the WG puzzle rather than trying to gain 'brownie points on renaming it .

I've got it, I'm stuck with it and don't give a toss what its called but having learned to pronounce it, buggered if I'm going to change it - No offense but the desease is sneaky and nasty enough to be a Nazi disease so it could be argued to be appropriate!

Sangye
06-06-2011, 08:58 AM
No offense but the desease is sneaky and nasty enough to be a Nazi disease so it could be argued to be appropriate!
I agree--it's like it was invented by a Nazi. (though I admit I haven't listened to the radio segment yet)

andrew
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
I have no idea if granulomatosis wih polyangiitis (GPA) will be as common a reference to our disease as Wegener's is, but, just in case, I bought the domain name. It will take about 24 hours for the DNS to wiggle it's way around the world and populate the various top-level domain servers, but sometime tomorrow, you should be able to click on

http://www.granulomatosis-polyangiitis.com

and it will redirect you to this site.

I have no intentions of using the domain other than redirecting it to here and saving it for some other similiar use. If anyone wants the domain, just ask....

I did check to see if GPA.* was available and, no surprise, all those domains were gone.

Nice! Well done and thanks :)