PDA

View Full Version : Anti-embolism stockings

TOBEY32
06-03-2011, 08:03 AM
So many questions still. The answer may be here but where's the time?
The first couple of weeks I was very non-ambulatory and developed a leg clot (a filter was put in). I had an ultrasound 3 wks ago, clot's still there, rechecking in a couple of months.
The day of discharge the hospitalist (my main doc) prescribed a pair of these hose that I'm to wear for 1 YEAR!
I DON'T understand: I though if you're active once again any more clots are behind you. I can maybe see 6 mos./3mos. Maybe after this one clot is dissolved?
Such a nuisance and so warm to wear.
Many thanks - David

pberggren1
06-03-2011, 08:05 AM
I wish I could help but I don't know much about clots.

renidrag
06-03-2011, 08:16 AM
David: I had a clot in Nov 09 that turned into an embolism in 12/09. I too have the filter and no one said to wear the stockings, although I did if I was not going to be or could not be active for a while. I will still wear them every so often but as mobility has come back some I don't feel it necessary. Are you on Warafin? Maybe because the clot is still there they are hedging their bet against an embolism. Long story, but they never checked my leg for the clot before inserting the filter after the embolism, so I don't know if it is still there and neither do the doctors.
Dale

Sangye
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
David, I've had tons of clots (legs and lungs). When I first got them my pulmy said I had to wear the stockings for 6 months. It was summer, heatwave, no A/C and the pred made me sweat and swell. I had to wear the full-length ones because I had clots all the way up both legs. It was sheer hell. Then I got repeat clots 3 months later and he said the clock starts over.

I had major problems because of all the swelling, and the stockings actually caused some vasculitic leg ulcers to explode into huge messes. That's when I ditched the stockings. I think I wore them for about 4-5 months total.

I've since learned that the kind he gave me--TED hose-- should NEVER be worn if you're ambulatory. They're made for bedridden people. You should wear a different type of compression hose if you're ambulatory. You can find this info by googling compression stockings.

I don't have filters but I don't think that's a factor. The hose are meant to keep you from developing chronic venous insufficiency later on.

Jack
06-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I had a similar experience in that I had to wear stockings while in bed in hospital, but was told that I would not need them once I was at home again.

jmmilliorn
06-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Tobey,
I have a recent clot in my right leg. It is about a foot long behind the right knee. My doc explained that the clot isn't a little cherry-shaped thing like I thought, but more like a long piece of sludge-like dried blood inside the vein. The blood thinners don't dissolve the clot like you think, they just keep more clots from forming if I understand correctly. Your body gradually absorbs the clot like a bruise on your body is gradually absorbed. (if you are lucky. If not, it may harden without going away.) The socks are for the swelling that accompanies the clot. In my case, the blood gets to my right foot OK via the arteries, but can't return via the veins because of the clot. So the blood accumulates in my foot and ankle and then backs up into the leg. The compression socks help control the swelling. I also elevate my right leg and foot during the day when possible and at night. That helps the swelling a lot. I put my socks on before I get out of bed sometimes. Don't wear the socks at night--just during the day. I got some colored compression socks from Footsmart.com but you have to get the ones with 20-25 compression. Most of theirs are less than 20 compression and do little good. I'm able to wear shoes again now every day thanks to the compression socks and the elevation of the right leg when possible.