PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Question

Sangye
06-03-2011, 01:24 AM
We have some members with computer expertise and I wonder if you could help me with an internet issue. My landlady (upstairs) has the house's wireless internet connection, which is provided in my rent. My computer (desktop PC) doesn't have a wireless card so ComCast gave me a USB adapter a couple years ago.

The problem is that the connection is increasingly unstable. It's like it sort of blinks on and off. It's become a major problem going online as pages constantly freeze, etc.... In the past it could be improved (but not fixed) by getting a new USB adapter. Now ComCast no longer supplies them because the connection is too unstable and customers were complaining. They told my landlady I had to get an ethernet connection at a store for about $75. I have no idea what that is or what is involved.

Thoughts?

Jack
06-03-2011, 01:58 AM
If you are having trouble with a usb adaptor you may well be better getting a Wireless PCI Adaptor which is fitted into the back of the computer. This is nowhere near as hard or scary as it may sound! There are usually a couple of screws holding the casing onto your PC and it is then simply a case of removing another screw to get a blanking plate off one of the card slots and then plugging the new card in.

Lots of instruction videos on You Tube - YouTube - ‪Installing a PCI WiFi card in a desktop computer‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iCxPi1o7E)

They are cheap and readily available.

Sangye
06-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Is that the same as an ethernet connection? If not, what are the pros and cons of each?

I'm planning to get more memory for my computer this month and will have a friend install it. Looks like we can do the wireless card at the same time. I'd do it myself but a) I can't kneel to get down to it, and b) I'm scared of getting an electric shock!

Jack
06-03-2011, 02:51 AM
An ethernet connection is the term used when you connect your computer to the Internet Router using a cable rather than wirelessly. This gives a totally reliable and fast connection, but you do of course need to run a cable between the two. Your PC will already have a socket for an ethernet connection and the router will probably have spare outputs too.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYydrcBYutNQQpCWXrQwr-J57Hw2A5haLwolB5o7BHkQtz4FTS

Sangye
06-03-2011, 04:00 AM
I think my computer doesn't have a socket for ethernet, which is why ComCast gave me the USB adaptor.

renidrag
06-03-2011, 04:14 AM
The Ethernet connection looks just like a telephone connection, see Jack's picture, onlybigger and it holds more wires. They should be next to each other on the back of the computer. I can't kneel down either, lol
Dale

Jack
06-03-2011, 04:23 AM
It is the standard connection for Internet so pretty well all computers have one. Once again, if yours does not, you can always plug in a card to provide one.

Sangye
06-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Okay, thanks you guys. I checked with my landlady. She has an ethernet modem up there but doesn't use it. She has a laptop with a wireless card. She said her connection is always stable. Good enough for me. We couldn't figure out how to run a cable all the way down here anyway!

I went online with Dell to see what my computer is set up for, etc.... They said I should get a wireless card and showed me which one would work.

Another question: Do I need my own router? (I'm not really sure what that is, but I think it has something to do with security when using wireless)

Jack
06-03-2011, 05:17 AM
No, your landlady already has the router. It is the box that receives the internet connection and shares it out to the computers on the network using either cable, wireless or very often a combination of both. You just need the wireless card to receive the signal from the router and the password for it assuming that it is a secure connection.

Sangye
06-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Whooya! It's password protected. Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to getting a stable connection. This has been nuts.

Sangye
06-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Okay, new question. A few months ago on Twitter I met a guy who runs a computer repair business and offers his services to low income, disabled and/or elderly people for free. He worked on my computer using remote access and helped a lot. At the time I asked for a recommendation to get some new memory as my computer is a few years old and having a hard time keeping up. He picked one out for me at a website.

I wasn't able to get the memory card then, but I plan to get it along with the wireless PCI adaptor. Yesterday I asked him to pick out a PCI adaptor for me, and to check that the memory card was okay, too. He confirmed that the memory card was okay.

I was tooling around on the computer supply company website later on--ready to place my order-- and came across their "Product Finder" to find the correct type of memory. I've always heard it can be a little tricky and wondered if I'd be able to figure what kind of memory my computer needed. You know, like "Hmm, just how tricky is this?" LOL So I put in my computer info and got a number of selections.

I noticed the memory he picked out for me isn't on the list. I also noticed that all the selections are 184-pin but the one he picked out for me is 240-pin. What should I do? Will the 240-pin one work?

I feel silly asking him, since it seems like I was checking his work!

vdub
06-05-2011, 12:08 PM
The two mem options are totally different, but you may not actually need more memory. At least, it may not help you any. How old is your computer? And what operating system are you using? If you are using XP, then 512Mb would be enough memory and 1Gb would be just fine. But you need to know the type computer you have and how many memory slots you have available. If you give me your Dell number (believe you said it was a dell), then I can look it up and tell you exactly what you have in the system and how many slots you have available. At least, as it was shipped to you. The Dell number is usually about 6 letters/numbers (been along time, tho). It would look something like XFG345 or something along those lines as I recall. PM me with the number.

Sangye
06-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks vdub. It's a Dell Dimension 2400 but I'll PM you the number.

I definitely need more memory. I have 512 MB on an XP but it's really slow. Can't keep up with running websites with lots of ads, etc...

vdub
06-05-2011, 12:45 PM
The 2400 is a good little system and should be just fine even with only 512Mb. 1Gb would give you a little additional speed, but don't expect anything super phenomenol.

Before getting new memory, you should first do a disk clean-up and then do a hard drive defrag. Click on Start, then All Programs, Accessories, system, and you'll see disk-clean up and defrag. Disk clean-up will get rid of all the temporay cache of old files from browsing. If you have never done DC, then you proably have thouseands of files taking up space. After you do the disk cleanup, the do a defrag. The defrag will orient all your individual file sectors so they are contigous and can be read with the greatest efficience depending on the spin rate and head access rate of your hard drive. Do those two things, play with it a bit and then we can talk about more mem. I might have some that I could just give you, but not sure and won't be home until mid-June.

Sangye
06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Every month I do the disk clean up, defrag and dump temporary files.

It used to be just fine, but since they started putting more ads on websites it can't keep up. I have to disable Flash unless I need it, or it slows everything to a crawl. I also have a hard time using TweetDeck and other websites at the same time. No viruses, malware, etc....

vdub
06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
This is what your system looks like....
http://www.wasem.com/wg/sangyemem.jpg

You have two memory slots. The question now is did dell give you one 512Mb mem module and populate only one slot or did they go cheap and give you 2, 256Mb modules and fill up both slots? The only way to know for sure is to open the box and look. Just unplug it take the case off and look at the mother board.

http://www.wasem.com/wg/mobo.jpg

Sooooo, are both mem slots full or is only one full and the other empty?

Sangye
06-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Wait, I gotta OPEN this thing??

Why does it say 2GB maximum? How would I get that in there? I want speed, baby. S*P*E*E*D

vdub
06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeap! You gotta open it! Probably 4 screws on the back, then the case slips off -- piece of cake. But there are also other case designs. Look it over and you'll probably see how to get the case off/open.

If you aren't to familiar with where all the plugs and wires go on the back, the take a picture or draw diagram before unhooking. Once you are statisfied you know how to get them back to the right place, the start unhooking all the wires. That way, you can get the box up on the kitchen table for surgery.

Be careful when touching things. There isn't much chance of you getting hurt, but you could touch a circuit, dischare a little static electricty and cause some problems. Normally, that's not a huge issue. Just keep one hand grounded to chassis while the other hand does the work -- as much as you can anyway, you don't have to be to anal about it.

Anyway, at thsi point all you want to determine is how many of the two slots are full. Once you know, the button it back up, and reconnect all your cables. And we can order the mem modules.

You can go up to 2Gb, but you have to buy 2, 1Gb modules -- one module for each slot.

Jack
06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Another good move in order to speed things up is to install a program called CodeStuff Starter. Starter download and reviews from SnapFiles (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html)

This will list all the programs that start up when you switch on your computer and allow you to switch them off by simply unticking a check box. You will find that there is a load of stuff running that you just don't need, but if you make a mistake you can simply restart the program you have disabled by rechecking the box.

I also use CCleaner for deleting unwanted files and sorting out computer registry problems.

Sangye
06-12-2011, 12:41 AM
WOW! It's like a whole new computer. We had a few hiccups with the installation but replaced the single 512MB card with two 1GB cards, put in the wireless PCI adapter and added an internal DVD drive (I had 2 CD drives before). I also downloaded Firefox version 4 which is WAY faster and not all glitchy. (I'd been using 3.6-- was getting slower and slower by the day.)

Things are super fast. I can actually use my computer without raising my blood pressure. (You guys wouldn't believe what it's been like the past couple years, especially the past 6 months. Oy.) This has gone a long way toward improving my quality of life. :thumbsup:

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 04:06 AM
So it must have been like driving a Chev and now you are behind the wheel of a Hyundai!

Sangye
06-12-2011, 04:10 AM
No now I'm behind the wheel of a Corvette! I'm zooming all over the internet watching youtube videos and things I never could do before. Youtube videos always played frame by frame, with the audio going at normal clip. It was horrible!

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Ya, I so know what you mean. Our computer is pretty slow. I'm sure it needs more RAM and I think it has a virus too or some sort of malware. A guy I know said last year he could build me a new computer with 2 500 gig hard drives and 10 gigs of RAM and some other stuff for about 500 bucks. Someday I would like to have a new computer like that but for now this is just find as long as I can get on the Forum.

vdub
06-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Good deal! Glad its working out! Always nice when a plan comes togeather.... :-)

Jack
06-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Glad to hear that it is now performing so well. Now try to keep it that way with some regular maintenance - weed out unwanted programs, clean out unwanted files etc.

Sangye
06-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Yeah, I've always done that. What really messed it up was downloading a program like CC Cleaner called TuneUp Utilities. After following the first few recommendations it sped up my computer, but by the third day it started crashing all the time. I've had this computer for years and it rarely crashed before that. That's why I called in the computer repair guy. He said never to use those programs because they often break the registry.

vdub
06-12-2011, 05:49 AM
I have had good luck with Eusing registery cleaner on everything from '98 to Win7. But, honestly, just being judicious about what you load (and keep) is probably as good a maintenance as you need. Now what are you going to do with a terabyte of storage? :-)

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 06:24 AM
A friend of mine put Microsoft Security Essentials and PC Tools Registry Mechanic on both my desk top and lap top computers and they run much better now. He said those programs are the top ones recommended by his brother who runs his own computer company.

Jack
06-12-2011, 06:53 AM
I have run CCleaner for many years without problems.

I have installed Security Essentials on my daughter's laptop and it seems to work fine.

Although I try to keep everything running cleanly, I also do a total system reinstall every year or so and this always gives a new lease of life.

Sangye
06-12-2011, 08:30 AM
I had to do a system reinstall once or twice because of a security threat with our stalker. It ran like a new computer for awhile.

(BTW, for those who remember, our stalker continued his activities and we worked with law enforcement in several states. At some point the FBI and Dept of Justice were alerted and conducted an investigation. They just filed federal criminal charges and he's being held in federal prison awaiting trial. It's been a very long, ugly and terrifying 3 years.)

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I had to do a system reinstall once or twice because of a security threat with our stalker. It ran like a new computer for awhile.

(BTW, for those who remember, our stalker continued his activities and we worked with law enforcement in several states. At some point the FBI and Dept of Justice were alerted and conducted an investigation. They just filed federal criminal charges and he's being held in federal prison awaiting trial. It's been a very long, ugly and terrifying 3 years.)

Glad to hear justice is being done. It is unfortunate you had to go through all that and it took 3 years.

Sangye
06-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah, it's been real nightmare. It's far from over, but we all feel better with him behind bars.

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Yeah, it's been real nightmare. It's far from over, but we all feel better with him behind bars.

No doubt. If you were closer and I did not have Wegs and was in better health I would just fly down in the Batplane and settle the score once and for all.

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 09:15 AM
I am like a hybrid. Part Batman and part Michael Corlione. I will make him an offer he can't refuse.

Sangye
06-12-2011, 09:21 AM
LOL.... No. :laugh:

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Just kidding. I am not the violent type, really.

drz
06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I've always done that. What really messed it up was downloading a program like CC Cleaner called TuneUp Utilities. After following the first few recommendations it sped up my computer, but by the third day it started crashing all the time. I've had this computer for years and it rarely crashed before that. That's why I called in the computer repair guy. He said never to use those programs because they often break the registry.

My wife got one of those "free utilities" downloaded on her laptop. I think it might have been CC Cleaner. It would scan free and then tell you had all sorts of problems that needed fixing. These were bogus claims since a good program like Norton 360 didn't find anything. All you had to do was pay them $30. They hid the program in unusual places so regular removal programs wouldn't work to remove it cause it would not detect their crapware. When you call the company for help to removal the garbage program they offer to set up an account and and charge you their low rates for a service assistance. It took me an hour to figure out how to get rid of that garbage program so beware of accepting any "free scan's" unless it is from a reputable company. Some do offer a free check on the internet and some of the free antivirus programs are very good but require a little more work.

jola57
06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Totaly true, once they get their hooks into the computer its almost impossible to get rid of them. I am glad that your comp is working like a corvette, and that the stalker is behind bars.
Cheers to both.

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh ya, I have had the same problem with my computer and it is stilll a problem I believe.

vdub
06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Oh ya, I have had the same problem with my computer and it is stilll a problem I believe
If I come through Swift Current next fall, I'll fix that for you, Phil.

If you are running a Microsoft OS, then MS Security Essentials is about as good as you can get and it is free. Another very good anti-virus program is AVG, but it doesn't have as broad a coverage as Security Essentials.

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
If I come through Swift Current next fall, I'll fix that for you, Phil.

If you are running a Microsoft OS, then MS Security Essentials is about as good as you can get and it is free. Another very good anti-virus program is AVG, but it doesn't have as broad a coverage as Security Essentials.

That would be awesme vdub. I would love to meet you. September is very nice here, usually not too hot, mostly around high 60's to 70's for daytime highs, though some Septembers have been as hot as the 90's, but that is rare. October is also usually a nice month as well.

Jack
06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I am going to spring to the defence of CCleaner again! ;)

It does not load anything on to your computer that you don't want and does not alert you to problems. It just cleans up the registry while keeping a copy just in case anything should go wrong and deletes junk files, but only the ones you select.

I'll also give CodeStuff Starter another mention. If you have never run a program like this before you will be surprised at the number of products that start up without your knowledge! The vast majority of them are unnecessary with the exception of the security related ones. Again, I can vouch for the program as not containing any malware or anything else you are not expecting.

If you decide to try either of these, be careful what program you are downloading. The one you want is often hidden away while the one you are being encouraged to select will try to sell you something!

RudiK
06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
If you run it wireless, it could be that there is some sort of interference between your land ladys place and your place. If she has her router to close to the TV or some sort of appliance that could cause the interferences.

norcalian
06-13-2011, 03:55 AM
I just spent the past couple of days at my parents. Every time I'm over there I end up helping them sort through their PC problems. My suggestion to them...next time buy a Mac :smile1:

renidrag
06-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Watch out Phil, Vdub may tie your computer up and hang it from a bridge.
Dale

pberggren1
06-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Watch out Phil, Vdub may tie your computer up and hang it from a bridge.
Dale

I doubt that. I am still quite fast. :wink1::biggrin1:

drz
06-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Most internet providers also offer a free anti virus program that you can download. These are usually smaller versions of a big name brand program. Quest offers Norton and Charter also had a free utility internet protection package. it is worth checking into but Microsoft Security Essential is very good and also free download.

vdub
06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
The one you want is often hidden away while the one you are being encouraged to select will try to sell you something!
You are right, Jack! I have found this to be more and more of a problem. You really need to be careful what you click on something.

I did download CodeStuff as I had never heard of it before. Nice little program. I don't have it running at every startup, but I ran it once to see what all was loading and I ended up stopping one of the apps. Worked well.