PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Root Canal tomorrow!

elephant
06-01-2011, 08:25 AM
I have been struggling with left maxiallary/tooth/ear pain for months. Finally I went back to the Denist today and it appears I have a abscess in my upper left tooth. I had a root canal on the same tooth 6 years ago around the same date. Thank goodness I put myself on Bactrim for two weeks, which helped the pain/ possible sepsis. Wondering if we are prone to abscesses?

pberggren1
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I seem to think we are prone to abscesses but it seems to be due to where and how much damage is done by the Wegs.

drz
06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I have been struggling with left maxiallary/tooth/ear pain for months. Finally I went back to the Denist today and it appears I have a abscess in my upper left tooth. I had a root canal on the same tooth 6 years ago around the same date. Thank goodness I put myself on Bactrim for two weeks, which helped the pain/ possible sepsis. Wondering if we are prone to abscesses?

Did your doctor tel you to hold the immune suppressants for a couple days when you do this?

Sangye
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm glad you found the "root" of all that pain, and that it wasn't Wegs at least. I imagine a small infection would turn into an abscess much more easily in an immune-compromised person.

But I have a question-- how do they do another root canal on the same tooth? Isn't the root already gone?

elephant
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
That will be my question too Sangye. I too wonder the same thing Drz. Let you know how it went. Not looking forward to it.:scared::sad:

Psyborg
06-02-2011, 01:36 AM
I ended up have two myself earlier this year, and I noted a marked improvement in my overall feeling when I did. Not sure if it was causing Wegs to smolder, but it sure seemed like it.

elephant
06-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Psyborg, glad it helped you. How long did it take you to feel better? I went to get a Root Canal today and the guy said I needed the tooth pulled. So he called the oral surgeon and made an appointment for June 14. So I thought to myself I am not going to wait that long. I went to Dentist at noon today and got that tooth pulled out. The dentist said it was infected, but nothing else looked wrong. So he is sending it out to a lab in Charleston, SC (MUSC). I have been taking Bactrim DS twice a day for two weeks thinking sinus infection/wegs flare. The dentist said I con't need to take the bactrim because he got the infection out. I had a have been having headaches in the top and side and back of my head. Even went to the doctor today, but he basically blew it off. He said call next week if it doesnt get better. He did a WBC ( white blood count) it was 7 , which is normal. Its been a long day. I did call and leave a message for my local Rheumatologist and told her about the headaches and all the stuff that has been going on. I do have a prescription for pain pills.

Psyborg
06-02-2011, 06:08 AM
It was within a few days that I felt generally better. Pretty much when the residual soreness of the procedure wore off.

Sangye
06-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Elephant, I'm SO glad you got that tooth pulled. I bet the crown was just holding in all that infection. You're gonna feel so much better now!

marta
06-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I love the fact that you didn't let them put you on the treadmill (the bad, medical system one) and just went and got it done. I love that feeling of grabbing the bull by the horns and doing something that will benefit your overall health in the long run and outsmarting the 'system'. I hope you start to feel better pronto.

elephant
06-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Actually they didn't pull the one with the crown, they pulled the one next to the crown. BUt they might pull the one with the crown. We are just waiting to see if the inflammation will down in the crown tooth. I have to wait to get a fake tooth, or bridge put in. I don't want to smile, it doesn't look pretty. Hope I feel better and that there is a difference.

Sangye
06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
You'll feel better. I hope they don't have to pull the other one too, but if it gets you stronger again it's worth it. I bet that infection has been brewing for awhile now.

elephant
06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
That is what the dentist thought. I am glad he is sending my tooth out to a lab to see if maybe wegeners caused this.

pberggren1
06-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I so hear you Marta. One has to be assertive at times and just get the job done. I have realized that I can be Batman any time and any place I damn well feel like! LOL:predrage: