PDA

View Full Version : Imuran and Methotrexate together?

ticklytoes
05-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Anyone taking Imuran and Methotrexate together? My new Rheum. put me on this back in Sept. and I have successfully been able to decrease Prednisone, so far, down to 2MG and counting! I feel pretty darn good. Anyone else on this regimen? :biggrin1:

pberggren1
05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
No, but I saw someone on FB that takes both AZA and mtx at the same time. I forgot to ask my doc today about that.

Chris G
05-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I was on both briefly, when my docs decided that mtx alone was not working for me. They tried adding imuran about 6 weeks ago. After only about 10 days of imuran at the starting dose of 50mg, it was clear that we were not going to be fast friends (the stomach upset was unbearable).

When they suggested it, I was skeptical about whether those 2 drugs together would work, as I'd not seen anyone else here who had tried them together. I'm glad to hear it has worked for you. Both drugs are hard on the liver. Are you having regular liver panels done?

Sangye
05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
It seems odd-- why not just treat with one of the stronger drugs instead of using imuran and mtx together? Maybe it's done, but I don't recall seeing that protocol before. Like Chris said, it's awfully hard on the liver.

ticklytoes
05-28-2011, 03:02 AM
liver enzymes have been fine so far....

elephant
05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I am on cyclosporine and cellcept they both suppress the immune system, I know back in the late 90's and 80's the docs used multiple drugs to supress the immune system for organ transplats. My kidney doc states that the cyclosporine works differently than the Cellcept.