PDA

View Full Version : To Members in Missouri

Sangye
05-24-2011, 12:19 AM
After seeing the news of the devastating tornado in Joplin I wanted to check on our members from Missouri and make sure everyone is okay. They said the main hospital was completely destroyed. I hope everyone is safe. My heart is with your state. :sad:

pberggren1
05-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Oh my goodness! I did not even hear about this. I hope everyone is alright.

Sangye
05-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Here's (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43132174/ns/weather/) a link to it, Phil.

pberggren1
05-24-2011, 01:29 AM
I got nothing but gorillas, elephants, fish, cats, etc.

Sangye
05-24-2011, 01:43 AM
What? You didn't get a link to the story on the tornado?

pberggren1
05-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Whoops! Still half asleep. Missed the link in the other post. That is intense destruction. A town in Canada of about 7,000 people was ripped apart by fire last week. About 500 homes and 100 businesses including town hall, fire hall, police station, etc. were destroyed. Residents are still not allowed back to the town.

Sangye
05-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Here's (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/23/missouri.tornado.hospital/index.html?hpt=C1) a story on the hospital that was destroyed.

pberggren1
05-24-2011, 04:36 AM
That is just insane how a tornado can do so much damage.

Sangye
05-24-2011, 04:37 AM
They said the tornado was a mile wide. Can you imagine?

pberggren1
05-24-2011, 04:38 AM
A mile?!!! Most towns are not even that big.

mishb
05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I have been thinking of everyone for the past few days.
First we heard of Minneapolis and now Missouri.
Everyone was so thoughtful on here when Australia was hit by floods, cyclones and fires and my heart goes out to all that are in, or have relatives and/or friends in the areas hit by the Tornado's.
The photo's shown on our television stations are so graphic are so sad to watch.

Take care everyone.......wherever you may be

Sangye
05-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Gosh, now we can extend this thread to so many people--Okalhoma, Texas, Arkansas.... More major tornadoes expected today. :sad:

drz
05-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Gosh, now we can extend this thread to so many people--Okalhoma, Texas, Arkansas.... More major tornadoes expected today. :sad:

With the three hundred killed earlier down south and the Joplin tornado this is shaping up as a very deadly year for storms in USA, plus lots of flooding too. It often seems ironic to me that parts of country are in serious drought while others are literally drowning and it seems worse now with effects of global warming.

Sangye
05-26-2011, 02:33 AM
I've been thinking a lot about the children on this planet right now. Look at how many major disasters there have been in the past few years that will traumatize millions of kids for their entire lives-- Hurricane Katrina, Asian tsunami, Haiti earthquake, Pakistan floods, Japan earthquake, US tornadoes, Mississippi River and other floods, etc.... This youngest generation is growing up with terrible emotional scars.

pberggren1
05-26-2011, 02:35 AM
This is so true Sangye. Many of the children will grow up fine but it still affects their future decision making and relationships.

drz
05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I've been thinking a lot about the children on this planet right now. Look at how many major disasters there have been in the past few years that will traumatize millions of kids for their entire lives-- Hurricane Katrina, Asian tsunami, Haiti earthquake, Pakistan floods, Japan earthquake, US tornadoes, Mississippi River and other floods, etc.... This youngest generation is growing up with terrible emotional scars.

Mankind has been extremely poor stewards of this planet and some of these natural disasters may relate to our destruction of the planet as well as our insistence on trying to build homes in areas that should be left vacant as natural flood plains. Many of the flooded areas in Japan had markers warning people not to build in these low water areas, and these markers had been there many, many years but the people ignored them anyway.

A lot of the flooding in our area is made much worse by our insistence in draining all the natural wetlands that held back the natural snow melt to a much more gentle flow. Now it is all channeled into a race way that is much quicker and overflows the banks and destroys homes where they should never have been built in the first place.

It is sad our children have to pay the price for our destruction of our environment since they contributed very little to cause the problem. Hope they are able to do better and are able to repair some of the damage done to Mother Earth.:sad::crying:

Sangye
05-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Great post, drz. :smile1: