PDA

View Full Version : Bit worrying...

freakyschizogirl
05-20-2011, 09:56 PM
I am just back from Addenbrookes and everything looks fine except i have protein in my urine, and that combined with me swelling foot is looking towards kidney involvement.

I'm not gonna panic until i get the results of my blood tests which were done today.

Should i be worried??

I'm more bummed out that i'm not allowed to taper my preds, which given i could have kidney problems is fine but that was my goal. I'm hoping its just s minor set back and nothing serious.

andrew
05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Was it a high level? I have protein in my urine all the time. Obviously I have kidney involvement but the level of protein in my urine is nothing to worry about (compared to all the other stuff I have lol). What did the doc say?

freakyschizogirl
05-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Just that it hadnt been there before and now it was. And said she wasnt overly worried but i could point to kidney involement so ordered the blood tests.

andrew
05-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Yep it's a good indicator but wait until your kidney function results come back, they will tell the clear story :) I've had protein in my urine when my kidneys were close to normal so please don't worry yourself. Wait for the blood test results and we'll go from there :)

freakyschizogirl
05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks Andrew for the reassurance. Nice to see ya about btw.

andrew
05-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks :) My 'aboutness' varies day to day depending on workload. I keep an eye on the place though :)

Jack
05-21-2011, 02:21 AM
I also have protein in urine a lot, but again I do have kidney involvement. If the worst comes to the worst and your symptoms are due to kidney problems, be glad that they have picked it up at this very early stage when there is still plenty to be done to put things right. You are a very long way from dialysis or anything serious like that!
:wink1:

freakyschizogirl
05-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Thanks Jack! :thumbup:

maria garcia
05-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Andrew I noticed you never finished your blog.

chrisTIn@
05-21-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm hoping its just s minor set back and nothing serious.

I 'm hoping that too.
How are your ankles now?
And when are you gonna get the blood-test results?

Wish you all the best! :smile1:

freakyschizogirl
05-21-2011, 05:43 PM
My foot swells up and down a couple of times a week now...ocassionally the other one joins it but not as bad.

Hopefully get the results next week sometime.

mishb
05-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Mine also had protein in for the first time. Had to stay in hospital to do a 24 hour urine sample and bloods.
Nurses and Rheumy said it was nothing to be concerned about at this stage and to let them do the worrying.
See Rhuemy again on Monday for follow up tests. Will just have to wait and see what becomes of them.
I'm sure all will be fine ..... with both of us :thumbsup:

Keep Smiling
Michelle

freakyschizogirl
05-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks mishb i'll be thinking of ya. My feet have swelled up again tonight, normally is just the left but the right has also decided to join in the party tonight too. Grrr.

Hopefully its nothing serious for either of us, please keep us updated x

MCC
05-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Sorry to hear this, I hope it is not serious.

I go to Addenbrookes too, at least you know you are in good hands.

mishb
05-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Finally received my next lot of test results.
Thankfully no protein or trace blood in urine this time :thumbup:
ESR and WBC are still elevated as well as high positive C anca.
Rheumy said results haven't seen any marked improvement (whatever that means) and therefore MTX being increased from 10 to 15
for next 3 weeks to see if any change in next lot of bloods.
I actually feel way better than I did when I was just taking anti inflammatories for RA with no significant joint/muscle pain to speak of (dull ache only)

I think my blood is a liar :unsure:

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

pberggren1
05-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Blood results can be deceiving. One has to look at symptoms firts and how you are feeling overall. A high WBC can be due to pred or infection, High ESR can sometimes be a fluke, and C-ANCA for most people is unreliable.

mishb
05-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Phil,
Overall I am feeling 99% better than I did this time last year with virtually no pain, but I know that it's just the pred and mtx doing their job and probably masking all symptoms, but I don't mind.
I'd love to think that I would be virtually pain free without meds but I guess that's the dream for everyone.
I think I'm going to stick with "my blood lies". That works for me :wink1:

me2
05-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi Michelle,
I am not knowlegable about the blood work so can't comment on that (partly because MY blood work is a liar)
but I do know something about coping long term with illness and meds. I think you are wise to be as informed as possible, make the best choices of meds as possible and if you end up feeling good at some point - enjoy it as much as a 'med free' day. You are right on in that department.
The idea of meds used to bother me a lot and over time, (I learn slow)
I learned that a good feeling 'med day' was every bit equal to med free if only I could free my mind to accept it. Kudos to you for already realizing that and best of luck to us all in also getting the reductions we want.

freakyschizogirl
05-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Thats good news mishb. :thumbsup:

Sangye
05-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Glad you're feeling well, Michelle. I agree with what me2 said--very well put.

I hope your rheumy is also measuring CRP (C-Reactive Protein)--another inflammatory marker. They need to order ESR and CRP every time.

My blood work is a liar, but in the opposite way-- it doesn't show anything wrong until I'm at ICU level of Wegs activity.