PDA

View Full Version : Recurring hoarseness

Widthofacircle
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
I am into my third year on the wegs journey. Am currently on 3000mg Cellcept & 7.5mg pred, ,septrim etc.
I am generally in good health at present however every couple of months I get this hoarseness ,constantly having to clear my throat. I had a bronchoscopy about a year ago which showed no reason for this.
Respiratory and rheumatologist have offered no view or reasons as to why this is occurring.
Anybody else here have similar problems and if so any advice ?

NicShaf
05-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm only about 6 months into my Wegs journey, but I have experienced this. I feel that mine is more post nasal drip that causes me to have to clear my throat, and my rheumy agrees. I also had a cold about 6 weeks ago, not sure if its related to that still. I'm on Ctx (150mg) and Preds (20mg).

Widthofacircle
05-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for reply Nicole.
I suspect that this hoarseness is recurring and long lasting due to immune system suppression and is a cold symptom which under normal circumstances would only last a couple of days as when I get a typical cold, coughing,nasal issues etc it seems to go on for weeks. Prior to having Wegs usually only lasted 2-5 days.
How are you coping with Ctx pills ?. I was on them last year but I did not cope too well, a lot of side effects, the worst of which was sheer exhaustion and tiredness

NicShaf
05-18-2011, 08:38 AM
You're probably right.
I am more tired and run down that usual, but other than that, I think I'm coping pretty well with the Ctx pills. The Preds is what get me:) Tapering that slowly, gets better and better every month.

Widthofacircle
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Glad to hear you are generally coping well.My experience was that the tiredness and lack of energy gradually got better as the system got used to the meds. The preds gets to most people. I am on my third attempt at tapering. First two times did not go well as each time I went below 2o mg I got flares.
This time I am down to 5 and 7.5 mg on alternate days and so far so good

renidrag
05-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I had two bronchospies in 2009 and was warned that this could be side effect. I do not experience the hoarseness (sp) every day but more often than not.
Dale

jmmilliorn
05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm hoarse a lot of the time, too, but I thought it was from the chronic cough I've had since diagnosed.

Sangye
05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
I get it when I'm more exhausted than usual. My voice actually fades in and out while it's going on.

You might also check if you have acid reflux. Sometimes hoarseness is the only symptom.

jmmilliorn
05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I DO have GERD. Been taking Prilosec and Nexium for years, but this current bout of hoarseness is concurrent with my Wg diagnosis in Jan. And the chronic cough as well.

Widthofacircle
05-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks Sangye
I will check out the acid reflux but like your case my hoarseness comes with tiredness, usually starting out in good voice early in the day and hoaseness gradually getting worse throughout the day
Brendan

Widthofacircle
05-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi Dale
I had this hoarseness prior to the bronchoscophy. Seems like quite a few people are experiencing it and hopefully we will come up with the answer between us

jmmilliorn
05-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Mine is just the opposite. I wake up hoarse and it gets better throughout the day--unless I do a lot of coughing. I am sure the constant coughing makes it worse. My allergist did say that the GERD makes the body produce a lot of mucous to coat the damaged throat, and the mucous can make you cough up a lot of crap. Plus all the drainage of said mucous can make you cough--especially if you are prone to bronchitis and asthma like I am. However, since the Rituxan, my cough has been much much better and I'm not coughing up anything gnarly any more.

Sr.Roc
05-19-2011, 10:53 AM
i had alot of hoarseness when i frist got sick . now if i have a long day it cames back and i can not talk allmost at all , had ENT docs look at it and they cant find out way. they were able fix my left ear which i was told by every one it could not be fixed