PDA

View Full Version : Sternum discomfort

Chris G
05-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I have this nagging sternum ache, which remains unexplained - I wonder if anyone else has had anything similar. After Jack injured his sternum, I began thinking I may not be alone.

Sometimes it aches when I twist or turn, or use the muscles in that area - like when I lift a laundry basket, etc. Sometimes it feels as though I need to "crack" my sternum.

Nothing shows up on an x-ray, or chest ct. I've always felt like it's irritation of the cartilage for some reason. It started last summer, before I was diagnosed, and before I was on any drugs - so I know that it's not a side effect of something I'm taking currently.

Any thoughts?

NicShaf
05-18-2011, 01:27 AM
I have gotten this before, I think. It isn't necessarily painful, just a discomfort? I think you described it best saying it feels like it needs to be "cracked".
Usually, I will lie flat on my back, sometimes even sleep that way, and it goes away by the morning. I'm not sure what it is, but I've talked to non Weggies, and I think many people get this...I'm not sure what causes it though.

Chris G
05-18-2011, 08:20 AM
It never happened to me before last summer when the wg flare began. A couple of times is was downright painful - I had to take a pain pill to make it go away. Since I started wg meds, it has been better, but it's still there almost daily. Usually a dull nagging ache right in the middle of my sternum when I twist or turn. Today, it was worse than usual - almost painful to take a deep breath or cough. Right now, it's starting to feel better.

It's one of those weird things, where they send you for tests to rule out heart, and lung problems, and then just shrug their shoulders. One doc said there's something called costrochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartilage of the sternum and ribs.......but I have no explanation as to why I might have that.

NicShaf
05-18-2011, 08:31 AM
I went in a couple months back and that's exactly what they did, checked my lungs and heart...x-ray and all. Sorry to hear that you have it everyday, that is not fun. I looked up the Costrochondritis on Mayo Clinic's website, it says that it's more common in women, but it doesn't say there is a reason some people experience it and some don't.
I hope it starts feeling better soon.

elephant
05-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Do you have heart burn? I found Nexium helped. How is your Gallbladder?

Sangye
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Most likely culprits (if heart is ruled out): Acid reflux, other stomach irritation, spine and/or rib misalignment, other musculoskeletal imbalance. I suggest you see a chiropractor to unearth the cause. If it's a chiro who is certified in Applied Kinesiology they can also determine if it's coming from the stomach in addition to doing musculoskeletal work.