PDA

View Full Version : Humour

Daggar
05-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Before I start.... Holly has always been a jokester and loves to make people laugh! She has always loved performing arts.

We just got back from a camping trip on the weekend where I discovered a few things about Holly that I didn't realize. While sitting around the campfire she started messing around with her younger sister (Shelby) and entertaining with what they called Improv. Holly was creating a bunch of characters using various facial expressions and different voices/accents. I found myself very uncomfortable at first due to having watched what the pred has done to her but I have to admit she had me LMAO after a short while. Pretty much a female version of Jim Carrey.

I discussed it with her afterwards and how I felt awkward at first about laughing. Her reply..... Dad, if I can get a laugh I'll do it and if I ever have to go on this pred again I need something to look forward to.

I know humour is a wonderful thing but I'm not sure in this case?:confused1:

Psyborg
05-17-2011, 04:05 AM
It's a way of coping really I think. I think Lincoln said it best maybe:

"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."

I've always loved that quote :)

Chris G
05-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Her reply sounds very level headed and mature! If joking has always been her m.o., and she's able to make light of her situation, then more power to her!

Besides, I know you'll be right there to the kick the butt of anyone who might attempt to laugh at her, rather than with her :biggrin1:

delorisdoe
05-17-2011, 04:44 AM
I think your daughter sounds amazing and I think you are lucky to have someone from whom you can learn so much about life and living.

freakyschizogirl
05-17-2011, 05:54 AM
I think she's doing very well.

Sarcasm is my thing, but Holly's humour is a great way of coping with what she's going through.

And to be honest kids can be rather cruel about things like this, better she laugh at herself than let the other kids take that away from her.

Daggar
05-17-2011, 06:51 AM
........ Besides, I know you'll be right there to the kick the butt of anyone who might attempt to laugh at her, rather than with her :biggrin1:

Chris -- you've hit the nail on the head - that uncomfortable feeling really is the fear of someone "laughing at her" .... rather than with her.

I always thought I'd be there to "kick some butt" for other reasons having teenage girls but either way I've kept my "butt-kickers" all shined up and ready to go!! :biggrin1:

NicShaf
05-17-2011, 07:00 AM
I think it's wonderful that Holly has found a positive way to cope with Preds...laughter is always the best medicine:)

marta
05-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Holly is an inspiration. I can't wait to see you and meet her in person. When are you driving up the Icefields Parkway for a visit?

Jack
05-17-2011, 07:40 AM
I don't think you are going to get many negative comments from the Forum over the subject of laughter. It is something we could all do with more of!

It has been quite a while since I did this - http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/1955diesel/hysteria.gif

Sangye
05-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Daggar, I think it's great. Having a good sense of humor--especially being able to laugh at myself-- has been key for me staying sane. I've had 2 therapists who both made a big point out of it, until I began to see what they meant. My lama has pointed it out to me on a number of occasions, so that tells me it's REALLY a good thing. I wrote a blog post about it awhile back.

So I vote along with everyone else-- let Holly express herself through laughter as much as she wants.

pberggren1
05-17-2011, 09:19 AM
If I did not joke around with others I know my mental and emotional and spiritual state would be much worse. Holly is just coping the best way she knows how. She is doing awesome for someone so young with this disease. And she will succeed and conqur with a Dad like you Daggar. Just keep those boots shined up just in case.

Daggar
05-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Marta - hopefully we can get up your way this summer. We've bought a travel trailer so we can recapture some of the things we used to do when she was younger -- nature and the great outdoors... the best therapy. Went on a fairly decent bike trip along the Bow River with her on the w.e. but had to keep reminding her to slow down and take a break once-in-awhile. Her face was getting pretty red and she's the type that will not say when she needs to stop.... We're hoping that outdoor activities along with her already healthy diet can keep the kidneys at their current function for as long as possible. Are you feeling better with the rtx treatments? Little Hana must be getting excited for spring/summer....

Freaky.... my m.o. is "sarcasm" as well as humour - gets me in trouble at times though.

pberggren1
05-17-2011, 09:21 AM
I would love to come up to Jasper this summer and see you guys too.

delorisdoe
05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I would love to come up to Jasper this summer and see you guys too.

I will start walking...see you all in eight months lol

Rini
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
this was sent to me while in the hospital & was the first thing i thought of reading this, maybe check it out on a rainy day? It is kinda long...
YouTube - Confessions of a Disney Employee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WaxuN4o78)

freakyschizogirl
05-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Freaky.... my m.o. is "sarcasm" as well as humour - gets me in trouble at times though.

Lol and me too...people cant read sarcasm like they can hear it so often it comes across as rude.

marta
05-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Marta - hopefully we can get up your way this summer. We've bought a travel trailer so we can recapture some of the things we used to do when she was younger -- nature and the great outdoors... the best therapy. Went on a fairly decent bike trip along the Bow River with her on the w.e. but had to keep reminding her to slow down and take a break once-in-awhile. Her face was getting pretty red and she's the type that will not say when she needs to stop.... We're hoping that outdoor activities along with her already healthy diet can keep the kidneys at their current function for as long as possible. Are you feeling better with the rtx treatments? Little Hana must be getting excited for spring/summer.....

Hey Daggar - anytime. I look forward to meeting you all. Holly and I have more things than Wegener's in common apparently. Last year when Brian and I went out for our first road ride together after diagnosis, he kept telling me to slow down. He actually got quite frustrated with me (only because he loves me and was worried) but I was just so excited to have wind going through my hair and in my face that I felt unstopable. I totally get where she's coming from.

The RTX has been great for me. It's night and day as far as I'm concerned. I have a cold right now but other than that things have been going in a very good direction. Little Hana is ALWAYS excited. She's non stop. From the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to sleep she's talking... and talking... and talking. If only we could bottle that kind of energy and give it to Weggies - ha. She gives me energy through osmosis (lots and lots of hugging and cuddling)

Phil, our suite is going to be open for business in the next week or two, so you too, anytime.
Leigh, yeah, long walk, but once you're here it'll be a great rest and relax - ha ha. Bring it on sistah.
Anyone else who wants to rejuvinate in the splendour of the Canadian Rockies, you're all welcome, just let me or Brian know and our place is your place.

pberggren1
05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Marta, You and Brian are truely the King and Queen of the Rockies.

marta
05-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Marta, You and Brian are truely the King and Queen of the Rockies.

Ha ha ha ha.... you've seen our eety beety teeny weeny little house right? Remember? You can touch each room with your foot if you stand right in that one magic spot. That aint no castle baby!

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Ha ha ha ha.... you've seen our eety beety teeny weeny little house right? Remember? You can touch each room with your foot if you stand right in that one magic spot. That aint no castle baby!

lol sounds cozy!!

pberggren1
05-20-2011, 06:07 AM

Structures don't make royalty, God does.

Lightwarrior
05-20-2011, 09:23 AM

Marta, your generous spirit makes you royalty.