PDA

View Full Version : infections!

maria garcia
05-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Does being positve for Auto Immune make you more suseptible in getting more colds and infections? Her doctor says not, but my daughter has been a sick baby every since all this Nightmare are started.

ArlaMo
05-14-2011, 04:55 PM
What medications is she on? The immunosuppressants (cytoxan, mtx, rtx) definitely lower the body's immune system so we are much more susceptible to infection while taking the meds.

freakyschizogirl
05-14-2011, 08:49 PM
To be honest i had way more infections BEFORE being on medication and only had one since being on meds, but i suppose everyone is different.

Maria Garcia i hope your daughter improves x

delorisdoe
05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Maria, she is not being treated yet right? Wegners seems like an infection at times. Once she is being treated you will notice a difference but in the mean time who knows if she is infected or suffering from wegners flare.

Sangye
05-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Maria, when an autoimmune disease is active then it in itself is somewhat suppressive to the immune system, and you are more likely to get infections.

Also, the fact that someone is sick a lot demonstrates that their immune system is already dysfunctioning and an AI disease is the next step.

Geoff
05-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I cannot see any rhyme or reason to this illness, I fully expected to be perpetually ill after diagnosis, and yet apart from 'flaring' I have not had a single cough or cold, very bizarre.

The way I deal with this illness is to try and keep a diary of syptoms and see whats 'abnormal' to me. I'm of the opinion that 99% is down to Wegs and go from there.

I hope your daughter gets some stability quickly Maria.

NicShaf
05-17-2011, 01:46 AM
I agree with Leigh, often Wegs itself seems like a cold or infection, it is hard to tell the difference. I felt like I was sick for months leading upto my diagnosis, after I started treatment, I've felt much better aside from one cold back in March/ April.

I also keep a diary of my daily symptoms to help me keep track of changes, it is really one of the easiest things to do, and it is so helpful.

Is your daughter on treatment? How is she doing?