PDA

View Full Version : Low Body Temperature

Sangye
05-13-2011, 09:31 AM
For the past several days I've been freezing cold no matter what I do or how many layers of blankets I get under. My fingers and toes often turn blue when I'm cold (and sometimes when I'm not). They've been solid blue for days, only going to a normal color if they're in hot water or I'm moving around a lot. As soon as that's over they're blue again. It's not at all cold here lately--nothing else is different.

I just took my temperature-- 97.0 F (36.0 C). I usually run low, but that's ridiculous! No wonder I'm freezing. I don't think there's anything to do about it at the moment, but if it continues I'll let Dr Seo know next week.

Meanwhile I'm going to go put more clothes on. :rolleyes1:

vdub
05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Definitely sounds strange... No other symptoms -- other than normal wg stuff? Thyroid?

Sangye
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
We keep testing my thyroid and it's within medical normal range. From a holistic point of view it's not in range and suggests a problem with the anterior pituitary. (Not to the extent of yours, vdub) Anterior pituitary hypo-function looks and acts like thyroid hypo-function but the thyroid tests will be normal. That's what I have. I see an endocrinologist in the beginning of July and hope she can figure it out. Holistically we know what to do but the drugs I'm on complicate that.

vdub
05-13-2011, 11:06 AM
anterior pituitary. (Not to the extent of yours :rolleyes1:

Yeah, mine's in the landfill somewhere, so it's somebody else's problem now....

Sure hope you can get something figured out.

Sangye
05-13-2011, 11:16 AM
LOL I think yours is somebody else's dinner! (Eww....)

elephant
05-13-2011, 12:18 PM
That is weird you have been cold. Any underlying infection? Flu? Virus? Did you decreae your pred?

ScreaminMeanie
05-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I've got that going on, too. Not quite as extreme as yours, but I'll be freezing cold and be convinced I have a fever. Take my temp, and it's between 97.2 and 97.9. The only time I'm not cold is when I'm a) having a hot flash, or b) trying to sleep. Then I'm waaaaaaaay too hot.

Everyone else in my office is wearing short sleeves and I've got on a long sleeved shirt and a fleece jacket, zipped all the way up. It's not the RTX, since this has been going on since long before I started that. I wonder if it could be generalized vasculitis slowing down the body's blood circulation?

Sangye
05-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Ever since I got sick my temp runs about 97.6.

I suspect this latest stuff is due to the Wegs dogs nipping at my heels. The other evening I was sitting here and just felt so lousy, like how you feel when a flu hits. It's kicking in quickly. Those 2 rtx infusions in February really did not do anything for me! I start the next round of 4 infusions next Tuesday.

Sangye
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Elephant, I haven't dropped the pred dose from 2.5mg-- Wegs is too active and I'm already wiped out and in pain.

elephant
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Glad you are getting it done tueday. That is weird about being cold. I never got that unless I was really sick. Which makes sense.

ScreaminMeanie
05-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm glad you're getting the rtx again, too, Sangye. I am wishing with all of my heart that it does you nothing but good this time.

pberggren1
05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Gee Whiz! I hope you can get warm Sangye. It is no fun beeing that cold. I sometimes complain of being too hot, but most times I am able to cool down to a comfortable level. My bedroom is in the basement so I am not too hot most of the time and in the summer being in the basement comes in handy.

Sangye
05-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Given my choice I always prefer to be cold rather than hot. But this is silly!

pberggren1
05-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I prefer to be cool myself most of the time. I am naturally "COOL" being Batman though.:wink1:

Psyborg
05-14-2011, 03:51 AM
For the past several days I've been freezing cold no matter what I do or how many layers of blankets I get under. My fingers and toes often turn blue when I'm cold (and sometimes when I'm not). They've been solid blue for days, only going to a normal color if they're in hot water or I'm moving around a lot. As soon as that's over they're blue again. It's not at all cold here lately--nothing else is different.

I just took my temperature-- 97.0 F (36.0 C). I usually run low, but that's ridiculous! No wonder I'm freezing. I don't think there's anything to do about it at the moment, but if it continues I'll let Dr Seo know next week.

Meanwhile I'm going to go put more clothes on. :rolleyes1:

Oh...I thought I was weird, well about this, I am probably certifiably odd :p. Mine is always running around 97 now. But I told the Doctor and she didn't seem concerned.

marta
05-14-2011, 04:05 AM
That's my normal temp too. 36C. Same with Hana Banana who's only four (and a half).... so maybe we're all just getting younger with Wegs ;)

Lightwarrior
05-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Elephant, I haven't dropped the pred dose from 2.5mg-- Wegs is too active and I'm already wiped out and in pain.

Wish I could send you enough light to increase your temp (just to normal). My temp is also running low...I'm normally 97.2 but the past few days I've been in the 95 range

vdub
05-14-2011, 06:22 AM
I have no idea what my new normal temp is, but since I've been on cortisone, I have been running really hot. 55 degrees F outside is my new most comfortable temp. Sodium replacement, due to sweating, is a big deal. I salt everything!

pberggren1
05-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I like 55 too. Anything above 75 is way too hot.

Sangye
05-14-2011, 07:55 AM
vdub, you are likely creating a vicious cycle with salting everything. Synthetic cortisone weakens the adrenals, which makes you crave salt and sweat a lot. If you eat more salt, that increases the Fire element (heat) in the body. This excess Fire exhausts the adrenals, which makes you crave salt and sweat.... To summarize: the more salt you eat, the hotter you will be and the more you will sweat.

All this excess Fire is also the worst thing for an inflammatory disease like Wegs.

You need a little salt to keep the adrenals happy--celtic sea salt is the best. But more than that is causing a lot of problems.

vdub
05-14-2011, 07:58 AM
No pit... remember? No pit = no adrenal function, no thyroid, no gonads, no hypothalmus.... what am I forgetting? Pretty much no endocrine system....

Sangye
05-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Yes, I remember.

vdub
05-14-2011, 08:14 AM
I once asked my endro if any of my glands were still good. At that time, about 8 months ago, she said they probably were. So, I asked, ok, why don't you give me ACTH instead of hydorcortisone and simply stimulate the adrenals to produce natural cortisol? Answer was -- it's bloody expensive. I guess they do make a synthetic ACTH, but it is only used in very limited situations like when the adrenals were stopped for whatever reason and the synthetic ACTH is used to wake them up.

I suspect my adrenals, with exception of the madulla cortex, are totally shot by now. However, I do know that my medulla cortex is still working because I can get a shot of adrenaline when needed.

Sangye
05-14-2011, 08:49 AM
vdub, you would not want to be on ACTH. It's extremely harsh and has lots of side effects.

vdub
05-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Well, I certainly don't need anymore side effects.... :-)

gurinbasra
05-14-2011, 02:33 PM
I've been running cold since the day I begun immuno suppressants and I'm still on Mtx and still always cold with a few hot flashes here and there coming in to save me on some days. Sangye, be care of those feet, if you can believe it, I ended up with frost bite on one of my toes! And it's not even that cold in September in Calgary. The dr said that due to lack of red blood cells and so lack of good circulation due to the immuno suppressants, that's why I got it. I never even realized or felt it until I looked at it one day and thought, what's that - a purple looking bloch on the end of just one middle toe!