PDA

View Full Version : Need some recipes

Sangye
05-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Since the rtx knocks me pretty flat for 6 weeks I'm gonna try to cook a few meals ahead of time and freeze them. Does anyone have any healthy recipes for easy-to-prepare meals? My energy is very low so I can't do anything too complicated.

I'm already making stuffed peppers and tomatoes. I love cabbage rolls, but it's too much work so I have an idea to make "open" cabbage rolls--layers of cabbage leaves with meat, rice and tomatoes in between. Sort of like a cabbage roll lasagna. I think it might work okay.

I usually don't cook by recipes, so even if you just have a general idea of a dish hopefully I can figure out how to make it!

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 01:51 AM
if you use the funny looking crinkly cabbage you can make cabbage rolls without much effort but the cabbage roll lasagna will work.

you can also mix cottage and ricotta cheese together with some garlic and herbs etc and roll those up in some lasagna noodles or pasta shells and then dump a can of sauce on top

stewing beef, can of mushroom soup, onion soup mix and a can of mushrooms cooked in a slow cooker or slowly cooked in the oven is simple. put it on rice or mashed potatoes or even pasta.

fried ground beef and a can of tomotoes can of beef broth with some frozen veggies and herbs makes a tasty soup

i have more if you need

good luck

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 01:56 AM
take some time and roll some ground beef or turkey etc up and make a bunch of meatballs. you can freeze them in many bags and make pasta, soup or even just meatballs and mashed potatoes etc. you can not screw up meatballs trust me ive tried and you can make them sitting down the entire time. while watching tv even.

my mother in law makes a meat loaf and then she cuts it into individual servings and then reheats when needed.

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 02:04 AM
ok, i will stop now.

marta
05-13-2011, 02:47 AM
are you a vegetarian Sangye? the answer to that will guide my next post.

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 02:54 AM
good question. no meatballs if you are vegitarian. lol

Sangye
05-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Nope, I'm not a vegetarian. I was one for a long time though.

I should also mention that my food preparation space is the size of a shoebox. I don't have a kitchen table or anywhere else to prepare food. That's why steaming and rolling cabbage is not easy. I wish I had more space for food prep--it can get really frustrating making a simple meal!

marta
05-13-2011, 04:15 AM
In Bulgaria, where we love our cabbage rolls, we have what we call "lazy cabage rolls" which is all the ingredients of the cabbage rolls without any layering or rolling, just throw it all in a pot and let it cook (cut the cabage into significant chunks so that you can taste it) and voila... it tastes the same, goes down the same, just not as much work. I also do lasagna's in bulk when I want to freeze a bunch of stuff. I sneak in a bunch of healthy stuff into the meat mixture (minced broccoli, mushrooms, carrots) and a layer of spinach and cottage cheese. I find that making one lasagna is a bit of a chore but making 6 little ones isn't any bigger of a chore, and then you have your own lasagna when you want it - oh yeah, I use ground turkey for that extra little health benefit. Shepherds pie is a good one to make a bunch and freeze them. Mash the potatoes, fry up your ground meat (whatever you choose) and frozen corn - I just fry it up in a little bit of butter with a tiny little bit of salt (or not if you're on high dose pred) layer them in those small aluminum square pans and freeze them. Also chili freezes nicely. Can you tell I live in a high protein house ;) This is what I can think off the top of my head. I love to cook, so I'll actually stop and think about it and send you another note.

Brooke
05-13-2011, 04:17 AM
I was going to say try meals in the crock pot. You can put about anything in there and let it cook all day :)

Jack
05-13-2011, 04:34 AM
I used to make Shepherdless Pie (being a veggie) with the meaty base replaced with a mixture of canned tomatoes and Mediterranean type vegetables together with some herbs and perhaps mushrooms. I've given it to meat eaters and it seemed to go well.

Sangye
05-13-2011, 05:08 AM
These are all great ideas! :thumbsup:

I don't have a crockpot and no place to put one if I did. My dogs can reach the only spot on the counter where I could put it. Naughty dogs would steal my dinner without hesitation. LOL

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 05:14 AM
you can cook in an oven or even stove top with the same results just really slowly. with a crock pot you can leave the house is all but not with those dogs.

Hammy8241
05-13-2011, 05:22 AM
fry some minced beef or lamb or quorn (vegi friendly!) off with a few chopped onions and diced bell peppers and if you wish garlic - leave a dry mix. Cook off some pasta.

Put layer of cooked mince into dishes about 10mm or half an inch deep. Top up bowl to about an inch from the topwith the drained pasta. At this stage you can freeze if you wish.

When you are ready to eat, open a can of Tomato soup (reccommend Heinze if available) and pour over the pasta. Top with a bit of cheese.

Bake or 'nuke' til hot. Enjoy.

marta
05-13-2011, 05:40 AM
I too was going to mention pasta sauces and soups. These are great things that get tastier with time, and also freeze well. I have a million recipes for soups (my family - Bri and Hana don't eat soup, and I grew up on soups, so I don't get to eat them anymore either - boooo) and pasta sauces can be whatever you like. I like'em all. Goulash on pasta is great - dice meat and onions (a lot of onions, they end up making most of the sauce) and fry in olive oil (because that's the healthiest one out there) dice carrots (quite a bit) - I don't cook by recipe, just by feel, so I have no 'amounts' when I do my own stuff, sorry - then add some beer (a half a can or even a full can if you're not going to drink it), salt and pepper to taste and paprika (a good amount - TBLSPN- ish) and let the whole mess simmer on low until the onions decintegrade and the carrots are soft. I let it cook until you can't distinguish anything other than sauce and meat, but the flavour of the other stuff is definitely there. You can serve on noodles or with mashed potatoes, or dumplings, but best of all you can freeze it. To make the above more like Stroganoff, just add diced pickles at the end and also a container of sour cream and presto chango, you're in another part of Eastern Europe. Let me know if you want some soup recipes and what flavour you're most likely to enjoy (i.e. Indian, Thai, Mexican, French, German, etc., etc.)

Jack
05-13-2011, 06:48 AM
My take on fried rice -

Cook some rice then leave while you do the vegetables so that it becomes quite dry.

Fry onion, peppers, cellery, and anything else until well done, then add a bit of mushroom and cook some more (the mushrooms don't want too much cooking). You want concentrated flavour rather than big quantity.

Add some butter, then the rice and plenty of seasoning. I also always add a spoon of Marmite (not sure if you have that), but not any herbs. Fry it up in a large fry pan then add an egg, some diced cheese and perhaps a diced pickle. Fry gently but thoroughly until slightly burnt at the bottom. You are aiming to dry the mix and increase the intensity of the flavour so the burnt bits are best! Don't stir it too much or the rice will start to break up.

Obviously all the ingredients depend on what you have available. A tomato often finds its way in there too, but beware of using too many ingredients. The ones that have very little in them and are quickly thrown together are usually the best. Try too hard and you get a bland mush!

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I too was going to mention pasta sauces and soups. These are great things that get tastier with time, and also freeze well. I have a million recipes for soups (my family - Bri and Hana don't eat soup, and I grew up on soups, so I don't get to eat them anymore either - boooo) and pasta sauces can be whatever you like. I like'em all. Goulash on pasta is great - dice meat and onions (a lot of onions, they end up making most of the sauce) and fry in olive oil (because that's the healthiest one out there) dice carrots (quite a bit) - I don't cook by recipe, just by feel, so I have no 'amounts' when I do my own stuff, sorry - then add some beer (a half a can or even a full can if you're not going to drink it), salt and pepper to taste and paprika (a good amount - TBLSPN- ish) and let the whole mess simmer on low until the onions decintegrade and the carrots are soft. I let it cook until you can't distinguish anything other than sauce and meat, but the flavour of the other stuff is definitely there. You can serve on noodles or with mashed potatoes, or dumplings, but best of all you can freeze it. To make the above more like Stroganoff, just add diced pickles at the end and also a container of sour cream and presto chango, you're in another part of Eastern Europe. Let me know if you want some soup recipes and what flavour you're most likely to enjoy (i.e. Indian, Thai, Mexican, French, German, etc., etc.)

mmmmmmmmmmm indian. you have indian recipies??? bring em on. yumm

Sangye
05-13-2011, 09:40 AM
I cook like you, Marta-- no recipes, just put things together. My family is Greek. My mom was a great cook--learned from her mom. Once she asked her mom to write down some recipes. They were like "Handful of ____" and "Add flour until it won't take any more." It was hilarious. You can only learn to cook like that by watching.

marta
05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Sangye, that's exactly how I learned to cook. I'm Bulgarian, so who knows, we might be related - you know how those Eastern/Southern Euros operate - ha ha.

Leigh, I also have some great cookbooks to inspire me to do different things so here goes - some indian...

Sri Lankan Chicken Curry

Serves 8-10

3 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
10 lime leaves
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tsp ginger, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground fennel
2 tsp red paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vinegar
3 lbs boneless chicken breast or thigh meat cubed
3 tomatoes chopped
6 cardamom pods
1 stick cinnamon
2 large strips lemon rind
1 cup coconut milk

In a large skillet, heat oil and quickly toast fenugreek seeds and lime leaves. Add onions, garlic and ginger. Saute until soft. Add ground spices, salt and vinegar. Stir well. Add chicken and coat with spces by stirring. Add tomatoes, whole spices, and lemon rind. Cook covered over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove whole spices and lemon rind if possible. Add coconut milk and salt. Cook for only 5-10 minutes more. Voila. Enjoy!

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
8-10 people ha ha i will have to divide that one in half. I have all of the ingredients except the fenugreek seeds and the lime leaves. yummy. I had a friend once ask me how to make my sweedish meatballs-they are the best-he was very angy with me and my recepie lol

ground beef and spices
ketchup
brown sugar
worcheschire sauce

he was not impressed but thats how i cook.

Sangye
05-13-2011, 10:14 AM
I love Indian food and could eat it every day. :drool:

Marta, my maternal grandmother was born in northern Greece, in what I think was Bulgaria at some point. I don't remember the name of the village. Her family was quite wealthy and they lost everything to the Communists. They were reduced to living with dirt floors after that. I wish I knew the history of it all better! I have a non-fiction book called Eleni, which is similar to my grandmother's story.

pberggren1
05-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Would you guys please stop this! I am so hungy now and still on 30mg of pred. Marta, I can't believe that Brian and Hana don't eat soup, that is just insane. Homemade soups can be so healthy and so tasty. My Grandma, who is Swedish, used to make 2 or 3 different soups each week. She doesn't anymore because she is 92 with RA. I just love Goulash and Beef Stroganoff. My Grandma made those too and so do my parents.:wink1:

marta
05-13-2011, 01:26 PM
I love Indian food and could eat it every day. :drool:

Marta, my maternal grandmother was born in northern Greece, in what I think was Bulgaria at some point. I don't remember the name of the village. Her family was quite wealthy and they lost everything to the Communists. They were reduced to living with dirt floors after that. I wish I knew the history of it all better! I have a non-fiction book called Eleni, which is similar to my grandmother's story.

I spent my first ten years of life in Sofia, then we ran away (during the Communist era) and got caught at the Austrian border. We spent a few weeks in jail, and then off to the immigrants camp for just under a year. In Bulgaria my whole family was in the film industry so I had this amazing charmed childhood stomping through the hills and sea-side and sound stages of Bulgaria. Food and partying was a huuuuge part of life there. Rock and roll was illegal, but my parents had this amazing way of getting around the rules using the film industry, so there were huge Rock and Roll parties in our back yard. My great grandpa was a big lawyer in Sofia before the Communists and lost it all too, so I know what you're talking about.

I always thought that this was the most interesting part of my life, but I think Wegs has trumped it. Good food will always be part of my life though, especially when pred is involved. ;)

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I think I ate one of everything at work yesterday. okay well I did not eat any yogurt or oatmeal but one of everything else.

Sangye
05-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Marta, that would make for a very interesting book.

delorisdoe
05-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Marta, that would make for a very interesting book.

"wegners, good food and rock and roll. A love story"

that is my idea for the title

renidrag
05-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Sanjye: We got a cutting board that spans most of the sink to increase our counter size. We can cut and chop then slide what we don't want or need into the sink for removal later. It would also most probably be pooch proof for a slow cooker. I have a great recipe for herb crusted pork with a cranberry chutney if you would like. It is simple and quick prep time, some folks don't eat pork so if you would like it let me know. The leftovers are a delicious sandwich the next day.

Maybe we should start a recipe thread because I would really like to learn more about Thai and Indian food.
Dale

bipinder
05-14-2011, 12:10 AM
You can Try " Steamed Eggs" without Yolk. High in Proitien and Low in Fat.

marta
05-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Phil, you're funny.

Sange and Leigh, yeah a book, good idea, but we already have a book project. Our Anthology comes first... but I like Leigh's title for it.

NicShaf
05-14-2011, 05:45 AM
I don't have a specific recipe for these, I just use bisquick mix, but I've found that Pancakes freeze well, if you like pancakes. I'll make a full batch every time I make them, but I can't eat 12 pancakes....well, I probably could, but I shouldn't.:) so I freeze them, and microwave them for about a minute to 1 1/2 minutes when I want them again.

pberggren1
05-14-2011, 06:37 AM
I had 20 pancakes the other night for supper.

Sangye
05-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Hmmm, maybe I should have put my initial request in large letters. I'm looking for HEALTHY recipes please. ROTFL :lol::lol:

Sangye
05-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Dale, I started a thread a long time ago called "Healthy Recipes." It'd be great to resurrect it and add more recipes. I don't remember if it veered off topic, though. Might be good to start a new one if it did!

Sangye
05-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Sanjye: We got a cutting board that spans most of the sink to increase our counter size. We can cut and chop then slide what we don't want or need into the sink for removal later. It would also most probably be pooch proof for a slow cooker. I have a great recipe for herb crusted pork with a cranberry chutney if you would like. It is simple and quick prep time, some folks don't eat pork so if you would like it let me know. The leftovers are a delicious sandwich the next day.

Maybe we should start a recipe thread because I would really like to learn more about Thai and Indian food.
Dale
Thanks, Dale. That's a good idea about the cutting board. I don't eat pork but I'd like to see the recipe anyway. Maybe I can try it on some other kind of meat.

NicShaf
05-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Hmmm, maybe I should have put my initial request in large letters. I'm looking for HEALTHY recipes please. ROTFL :lol::lol:

In my defense, I usually eat my pancakes plain, so they don't have added sugar with syrup...this makes them healthier, but probably not healthy:)

Sangye
05-14-2011, 07:45 AM
ROTFL Incorrigible! :lol:

delorisdoe
05-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Well why didn't you just say so??? Here is one for your "new" criteria.

Cut up celery carrotts and green peppers

eat:w00t:

shadow
05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
brown 1 lb of ground turkey with onion
add 32 oz of chicken broth
1 lb frozen corn
2 cans rinsed black beans
1tbs chili powder
1 med to large can salsa (any range from mild to hot your choice)
1 small can diced green chillies
i let this simmer on the stove.
serve with ranch dorietos and cheese if desired.
This is the best soup
Shari:drool:

Sangye
05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds good, Shari. Thanks :smile1:

gurinbasra
05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
So you like Indian food, well my family's from the Punjab so I don't have exact receipies but just a list of stuff needed. First thing, throw out that "curry powder" stuff - I'm Indian and even I don't know what it is. The basic punjabi "curry mixture" is:

Some garlic and ginger (however much you like to taste), cook up in oil very quickly until it's just browning - don't burn it. Add a very well chopped up onion or half depending on how much you're making, cook until golden brown, then add a few tablespoons of tomato sauce, then reduce heat. To this you start to add the spices - simple - salt (to taste so you decide), about half a teaspoon or less of tumeric - that's the yellow stuff that keeps away prostrate cancer - half a teaspoon of garam masala (you should be able to find these wherever you pick up ethnic foods), add some red or green hot chili peppers if you wish or I usually leave out as I don't like it spicy (yes I am Indian) and then you have the basis for pretty much any curry dahl - lentil soup, or vegetable or even just a basic chicken curry dish.

After making this you can add in vegetables like cauliflower and potatoes, or add in some chopped up okra, or mixed veges of chopped up potatoes, carrots and peas, or whatever you feel like, cover it up and just cook it as any meal on low heat - when they're soft they're done.

You can use this mixture to add to dahl's just add it in the end, if you're using a crock pot throw it in at the beginning, if you're cooking up some chicken, best is red meat so thighs are good, but add in also about two tablespoons of plain yoghurt at the end when you make the mixture. Pick up some naans to heat up and enjoy.

The vege dishes don't freeze too good but the dahls and chicken is great - oh if you're cooking chicken, cook up some rice instead of naans.

Or come for a visit to Calgary, Canada and get a free Indian meal!

Happy eatings!

gurinbasra
05-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh, red kidney beans and potatoes is also a good one but add in more tomato sauce. You can also do chickpeas and potatoes - for this you can buy a specific chuna masala and I've tried the chicken masala too for the chicken dish, they are just dried up and mixed spices to add instead of the garam masala.

delorisdoe
05-14-2011, 08:17 PM
My husband will LOVE this. He is always trying to make his own curry.

Sangye
05-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Gurinder, I can't travel. Please come to Maryland and cook for me. LOL! :w00t:

Sangye
05-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I made something yummy today with only 2 ingredients. Can't get easier than that, but I have no idea what to call it!

Baked Turkey Sausage and Cabbage Thing
-- Lean turkey Italian sausage
-- Cabbage

1) Cut the cabbage into large chunks and place them at the bottom of a casserole dish
2) Slice the sausage links into 1 inch slices and put them on top of the cabbage
3) Layer a few cabbage leaves on top
4) Add 1 cup of water
5) Cover and bake at 375 for 1 hr
6) The top leaves will brown slightly (I like that). Push them down into the sides of the dish, leaving the sausage exposed at the top.
7) Leave uncovered and bake another 30 mins. This browns the sausages and also reduces the liquid.
8) Serve with plain rice.

You don't need to add any spices, since the Italian sausage provides them. The water and browned cabbage creates a yummy broth, too. The hardest part was cutting the cabbage-- feeling pretty weak today!

pberggren1
05-28-2011, 04:33 PM
My mouth is watering now Sangye.

Sangye
05-29-2011, 12:27 AM
It's really good. And very good for you, too.

elephant
05-29-2011, 10:45 AM
You got me on Italian sausage! Woops, I fallen on my drool and can't get up!:)

vdub
05-29-2011, 12:49 PM
OK I'm going to give you this recipe for "unstuffed potatoes", but I dont' want you comeing around with unsolisited marrigae proposals or anything..... :p)

Unstuffed Potatoes
10 potatoes boiled in skins, cool then peel and grate into casserole dish

OR just buy some frozen hash browns in a bag at Wal Mart and fill a
standard 11x9 casserol dish half full of the fozen hash browns.

Add the following ingredients to grated potatoes:
Put all of the below stuff in a zip lock and mix well then cover the sauce over the potatoes
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 16 oz sour cream
1 cube butter melted in micro
Add a little salt
1 or 2 bunch green onions chopped
Bake at 350 COVERED for about 30 minutes

After the 30 or 40 minutes, uncover and
Add grated cheddar cheese and fried bacon bits to top and bake 5-10 minutes uncovered

Let set for 15 minutes before serving.

I will not entertain marriage proposals even under threat...... :-)

If the dish has been prepared and is uncooked, then you can freeze it and cook later, just add a little more cooking time.
If the dish has been cooked and the frozen, then thaw and reheat normally.

BOth are most excellent -- really good stuff.....

pberggren1
05-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I make that now and them vdub. It is one of my farourite dishes.

elephant
05-30-2011, 12:47 AM
We make that same recipe on special occasions. Very delicious and food for the soul.

vdub
05-30-2011, 02:00 AM
And all this time i thought it was my own little secret..... Well darn.... It is a great recipe.... I actually got it from my sister.

Sangye
05-30-2011, 02:11 AM
I've never heard of it before, vdub. But I'm still not gonna marry you. :laugh:

vdub
05-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Darn it.... I thought I had a winner there.... Oh well.... Next time.... :-)

MCC
06-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I always cook extra so it will do for two meals. I like this website: Fatfree Vegan Recipes (http://fatfreevegan.com/)

Stews...bolognese...chilli...curry all freeze well.

Particular ones I like from that site are 'gold rush chili' and the lasagne. She has some good soups too, like this one(ALOT of garlic though!!) http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/04/white-bean-and-garlic-stew.html

Daggar
06-10-2011, 01:59 AM
How about pastas Sangye? Can you eat the multigrain pastas? We make up a large batch of sauce and then freeze in meal servings. Just cook up a pot of noodles thaw the sauce and you have a nice penne, spaghetti or the veggie bows with sauce.

Crock pots work great as Brooke said but you may be limited without the meat. Holly's a vegetarian and we've been trying to perfect a vegetarian chili using the crock pot -- we're getting very close! Good option for lots of protein. There are many brands of low sodium beans (navy, soy, pinto, kidney,etc) so you can add whichever ones you want. Makes a large batch so you can freeze as individual meals.

She also has an individual blender for making her health shakes in the morning before school -- quick way to get nutrients without too much fuss. Banana, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, tablespoon of flax, 1/4 cup of oat bran, strawberry yogurt and the So Good Stawberry Soy Drink to keep it drinkable.... add or delete ingredients as you wish. I'll eat a 1/2 cup of almonds (not chocolate:crying:) or walnuts with the shake -- just seems to go together.

I'll gross Holly out by doing the same thing with veggies..... add low sodium V8 to keep it from being too chunky!! Not the nicest thing to drink but keeps my veggie intake up.

From reading your posts it sounds like you need to make hay while the sun is shining and make large batches when you're feeling okay then freeze as meal size for the days you're struggling.

Marta - cabbage rolls.... what other dishes are Bulgarian?

Sangye
06-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Thanks Daggar. :smile1:

I rarely eat pasta. Even the multigrain ones are not real food--highly processed. I try to limit processed food--not always easy but it makes a big difference in the short and long term. I do eat meat. I was a vegetarian for many years and wouldn't do it again.

Not sure Holly's "health shake" is very healthy-- soy drinks are highly processed, inhibit digestive enzymes and push the progesterone-estrogen balance in an unfavorable direction. That particular soy drink has corn syrup and fructose in addition to cane sugar. Add all those high-glycemic fruits and it's a very high sugar breakfast. Plain yogurt is a better choice than the soy drink-- lots of calcium, good bacteria and more protein to help balance the blood sugar.

I got through the infusions by cooking a dish the day before each infusion and eating it for several days. Pot roast worked really well. Stuffed bell peppers also worked well since I like them hot or cold. I made a note to do this during the next round of rtx. It was rough but I pulled it off. :biggrin1:

Daggar
06-10-2011, 03:12 AM
To each his own... i guess whatever works.

Holly's lab results have the dietician and doctors amazed that she is scoring high in all areas of nutrition -- as a vegetarian with low kidney function that is extremely difficult so we'll stick to it for now.

I'd never be able to become a vegetarian but I respect her choice.

Sangye
06-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Yeah, if she wants to be a vegetarian that's her decision. My comments were aimed at keeping her healthy while she does it. High dose pred predisposes us to developing blood sugar problems while on pred or even after pred is stopped. Stable blood sugars now are not necessarily an indication that all is well because dysinsulinism typically develops slowly--precipitated by chronic intake of high sugar--and later progresses into hypoglycemia and then diabetes. That can be avoided but sugar intake from all sources has to be addressed.

Anyway, take it or leave it.

pberggren1
06-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Yeah, if she wants to be a vegetarian that's her decision. My comments were aimed at keeping her healthy while she does it. High dose pred predisposes us to developing blood sugar problems while on pred or even after pred is stopped. Stable blood sugars now are not necessarily an indication that all is well because dysinsulinism typically develops slowly--precipitated by chronic intake of high sugar--and later progresses into hypoglycemia and then diabetes. That can be avoided but sugar intake from all sources has to be addressed.

Anyway, take it or leave it.

I'll take it.

Sangye
06-10-2011, 04:04 AM
LOL-- Phil, you crack me up. :laugh:

Daggar
06-10-2011, 04:41 AM
High intake of sugar? We're talking a single serving of shake before she does her exercise in the a.m. Her blood sugar is normal..... before and after (tested). There is maybe a 1/4-1/2 cup of soy beverage to keep it liquified.

I get your point about the "predisposed from pred" but I'm old school when it comes to doing exercise without food energy to burn. Keeping your blood sugar levels within normal ranges during exercise is a challenge for anyone but this seems to work for her. No spike afterwards.

Sangye
06-10-2011, 04:51 AM
It seems my advice is annoying you, Daggar. My intention was to help. I feel like hell and don't wish to expend the energy if it isn't welcome.

delorisdoe
06-10-2011, 04:52 AM
She works out and eats real fruit shakes???? I bet she takes in less sugar than any other non diabetic teen we would ever meet.

Daggar
06-10-2011, 04:59 AM
annoyed? no, just a little confused that's all.... my apologies for invading your thread.

Sangye
06-10-2011, 05:12 AM
That's good. I know it's confusing. Our culture has drifted so far from real foods and balancing nutrients in ways that benefited humans for millenia. Add to that the ever-changing dietary recommendations from the medical profession and we have a very confused and misinformed population.

pberggren1
06-10-2011, 05:37 AM
That's good. I know it's confusing. Our culture has drifted so far from real foods and balancing nutrients in ways that benefited humans for millenia. Add to that the ever-changing dietary recommendations from the medical profession and we have a very confused and misinformed population.

This is so very true.

I know my own diet needs a lot of cleaning up but when I look at what my parents and family and friends eat I am eating way healthy compared to them.

I used to eat a lot of chips and pop and candies and pastries and cookies and such, and coffee and if I have one of these items a month that is very rare. I barely eat any sugary stuff any more and am cutting back on the refined carbs and most processed foods. It is hard when I have only partial control over what I eat. Because of my low income my parents mostly provide for me.

I used to take a good quality whey protein powder in the mornings when I was really sick last fall and winter. I found it helped quite a bit energy wise but was not a cure by any means considering what I have been going through. My energy is much better now but because of some slight tracheal and bronchial stenosis and only 66% lung capacity and doing pred for 4 years straight I am surprised I am not worse.

Sangye
06-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Those are excellent changes, Phil. Good for you for doing it even though your environment makes it difficult! :thumbsup:

pberggren1
06-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Those are excellent changes, Phil. Good for you for doing it even though your environment makes it difficult! :thumbsup:

Thank you. I slip from time to time but at least I do not fill the pie whole on a regular basis with a bunch of junk. LOL

vdub
06-10-2011, 06:59 AM
High dose pred predisposes us to developing blood sugar problems while on pred or even after pred is stopped.
My endo is watching my glucose very closely. She's afraid that I might become diabetic eventually due to the steroids. I sure hate to think of that happening. My son is a juvenile diabetic and it's not a pleasant way to live. He is used to it, tho. He essentially grew up with it and it's simply a part of his life and he deals with it real well.....

MCC
06-29-2011, 10:27 PM
I made this chickpea curry last night: BBC - Food - Recipes : Chickpea curry (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickpeacurry_2213) served with brown rice.

It was super quick and easy to do with canned chickpeas, but obviously you could use dried and soaked ones too.

MCC
06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
oh, and this isn't really for you Sangye, but since this is a recipe thread, thought I'd post this:

Cheap Family Recipes | Low Cost Meals | Reduce Food Bills | Eat For Less Money (http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planner-option3-month1.html)

A cool little site about feeding a family of four for 100 pounds a month ($160 for you US peeps) with a monthly meal planner, recipes and shopping list so very easy.

All nutritionally balanced and healthy too! (I know it's not all perfect tho :wink1: (not enough salads or veg etc) but a good start for people on a budget looking to eat better) ...yummy sounding dinners like risottos, curries, calzone, veggie burgers etc.

There is a meat version too if you won't eat vegetarian.

Sangye
06-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Yum! Thanks for the recipes, Mandy. :smile1:

shadow
06-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Salad 4cups broclli flowerets; 1/4 of yellow, red and orange bell peppers chopped up; 6 green onions cut up without the tops, bacon fried up and crumbled, tomatoes chopped up; 2 packages of cheese tortalini cooked and chilled, mix all together with 1/2 bottle cole slaw dressing and chill. This is so good.
Shari

Sangye
07-22-2011, 03:31 AM
I just made a totally yummy green bean dish:
- Fresh green beans
- Almonds (break into pieces, use whole or buy slivered)
- Garam Masala powder
- Garlic
- Black pepper
- Olive oil

Put the green beans in a casserole dish, add above ingredients to taste, mix well. Cover and bake at 375 for about 20 mins. I added plain yogurt after putting the cooked beans on my plate. Super good and very good for you.

pberggren1
07-22-2011, 05:11 AM
That sounds like a good breakfast.

pberggren1
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone have a recipe for Santa Fe Chicken?