PDA

View Full Version : Bunny TV

Sangye
05-10-2011, 02:03 AM
I have a very tiny fenced yard, and last night I discovered there are 3 baby bunnies living in it! I couldn't figure out why my dogs were so fascinated looking out the window. I have a bird feeder and I also feed squirrels, so I thought they were just excited to see so many of them. Finally I noticed the bunny babies, one at a time. 1:smile1:...2:smile1:...3:smile1:

It was like Christmas.

Psyborg
05-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Just watch the doggies with the bunnies. Dogs like to chase the bunnies (mine does anyway).

Sangye
05-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Oh yeah, my dogs love to chase squirrels big time. Mommy does not allow that.... Animals like squirrels and rabbits spend their lives living in fear as it is. They don't need my big goofballs adding to it! I can't tell where the bunnies are living actually. They might be in the neighbor's yard, as the fence slats are quite large. But they like to eat at Sangye's Diner. We have the best buffet-- open 24-7, no reservations required. :laugh:

Hammy8241
05-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Shhhhhhh Sangye!!

Phil the Terminator might find out....you know what he did to those ants!!!

Rabbits are Ok with me so long as they stay away from my Veg patch, but just in case, do you want me to send you an outline of my hands for gloves ??? Only asking:wink1:.

Chris G
05-10-2011, 02:57 AM
I hope your doggies don't get hold of the bunnies!! I hate it when my dachshund goes hunting for chipmunks. You wouldn't think he'd be able to catch them, but he DOES! It's so sad :crying:

Sangye
05-10-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm just going to say that if "jokes" like the ones about the ants appear in this thread I will ask for the entire thread to be deleted.

Sangye
05-10-2011, 03:06 AM
I hope your doggies don't get hold of the bunnies!! I hate it when my dachshund goes hunting for chipmunks. You wouldn't think he'd be able to catch them, but he DOES! It's so sad :crying:
Yeah, my last dog used to chase squirrels and tree them. There was no stopping her. She was a very obedient dog unless squirrels were involved. Once on a camping trip she actually caught a chipmunk. It was screaming. She was shocked, as she had never caught anything. I went running down the hill to her screaming my head off. She was so alarmed she dropped it and it ran off-- unharmed. I know it was just a dog thing, but I was so upset I could hardly look at her all afternoon!

pberggren1
05-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Shhhhhhh Sangye!!

Phil the Terminator might find out....you know what he did to those ants!!!

Rabbits are Ok with me so long as they stay away from my Veg patch, but just in case, do you want me to send you an outline of my hands for gloves ??? Only asking:wink1:.

Ants are quite different from bunnies. I used to have some pet bunnies at the farm and some wild bush bunnies as well. So I don't kill bunnies unless they are a pest. We had lots of bunnie at the farm but they were not a pest. My Grandfather and Greatgrandfather used to hunt jack rabbits but they are not considered a rabbit for some reason.

Sangye
05-19-2011, 03:30 AM
We also now have Chipmunk TV! A baby chipmunk is living in my yard--under the deck with the baby bunnies. He comes out and crams his cheeks full of birdseed and other food on the ground. It's hilarious. He's very tiny but brave.

In addition, our daily guests at Sangye's Outdoor Diner are: a pair of doves, 2 pairs of cardinals, lots of sparrows and chickadees, some other little birds and many squirrels. All the animals eat together literally side by side. I'm in heaven, I tell you.

Chris G
05-19-2011, 04:08 AM
I'm so glad you have something pleasant to entertain you while you don't feel well!! :biggrin1:

Sangye
05-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Yeah, me too. I just love feeding and caring for animals-- my two dogs and cockatiel, and anything else that can fly, crawl or hop into this teeny yard. (Besides reptiles. I had a turtle get into the yard 2 years ago. I have a major turtle phobia. Yeeeech!)

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 04:32 AM
I've got a Lercher you can have...lol

Sangye
05-19-2011, 04:37 AM
What's a Lercher??

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Its a breed of dog, a mongrel...a mix of greyhound and another breed....so i'm told. lol

Sangye
05-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Hmm. Well, okay. Ship him over. :biggrin1:

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 04:43 AM
Will do. I'll put him in the post tomorrow!! :thumbsup:

Sangye
05-19-2011, 04:46 AM
LOL Send him to my street address. I don't think he'll fit in my Post Office box.

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 04:54 AM
LOL Send him to my street address. I don't think he'll fit in my Post Office box.

ROFL will do!!

pberggren1
05-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Is there a partridge in a pear tree?

Sangye
05-24-2011, 04:49 AM
I'm happy to report that there there are actually TWO baby chipmunks living in my yard! They're the cutest little things--barely getting their stripes. The very thing that makes my life miserable--the huge overhanging deck that blocks out light and any view of the sky or trees--keeps the baby chipmunks and baby squirrels safe from predators like hawks.

Chris G
05-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Gotta love the chipmunks! I talk to them too. I tell them to run far and fast, before my little hunter comes around the corner.

freakyschizogirl
05-24-2011, 05:02 AM
I have mice in my garden, which wind my dog up - cos he can hear them but can never get to them in time. We also have SO so so many birds visiting our garden, feels like a minagerie!

pberggren1
05-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Our yard has lots of squirrels and birds as well. Our cat, Sophie, tries to play with them.

Sangye
05-24-2011, 06:23 AM
The past few days some chickadees and sparrows have been teaching their babies how to forage for food in my yard. The babies sit on the fence while the moms fly to the bird feeder and then fly back to cram the food into their little beaks. The little babies are so funny. They can fly and even know how to eat the seed off the ground. But when their mom comes over with seed they sort of scrunch down and flap their wings really fast, looking helpless. I didn't realize the parents kept feeding the babies once they could fly on their own. The babies are pretty big. If I didn't see them doing this I wouldn't even know they were babies! It makes me so happy to know that they're getting strong and big on this food.

pberggren1
05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Watching animals in nature is quite amazing and relaxing.

Sangye
05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
We're having a terrible heatwave that will be especially bad today and tomorrow. In the 90's with huge humidity. (Tomorrow will be almost 100). I'm worried about the baby bunnies overheating and maybe even dying in this. My yard is well-shaded but the heat and humidity are incredible, even at 9:30 am. They live under the deck, which is certainly the coolest place. It's double-shaded because there's a huge overhanging deck.

I put out water for the birds and bunnies, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do for the bunnies. Should I wet the ground with the hose? As I type, one bunny is laying down in the shade. Any ideas?

BrianR
05-31-2011, 01:26 AM
We do not see rabbits that often in Jasper National Park although you do see them occassionally. On the other hand, there was a grizzly foraging just outside my office last week (my office is on the ski hill at 5,600 ft) and I rode my bike past a grizzly on Saturday while I was out for a loooooong road bike ride. It was a full grown adult that I estimate to be 600- 800lbs. It was beside the road in the ditch and I was about 10 feet from it when I rode past. It did not even lift it's head as it was too consumed with consuming. Talk about "charismatic mega fauna"!

Sangye
05-31-2011, 01:41 AM
LOL That's as mega-fauna as we're gonna get in North America, unless you head into polar bear territory!

I just wet down part of the yard. There are tall weeds and weedy grass that'll hold the water so critters can drink from them. It's gotta be cooler sitting among wet leaves at any rate!

pberggren1
05-31-2011, 01:42 AM
That is quite hot with lots of humidity Sangye. I would be worried too. I myselft cannot even handle that kind of heat. I would have to stay inside and just rest and do no physical work at all. I would continue to leave water out for them. Animals are so resilient and can cope with stuff much better than we can. When we had our domesticated bunnies at the farm we had a very large cage to put them in. I was about 6 feet long and about 3 feet wide. It was on wheels that one could move around and put in the shade. I would pick fresh grass and alfalfa each day for the bunnies and clean out the cage.

Sangye
05-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Yeah, the heat is incredible. Tomorrow is more rtx and I've been housebound since last Tuesday's infusion due to a bad cold (plus rtx side effects). Today I have to go to errands. I'm not in good shape as it is and the heat worsens me so much. I might have to get someone to hose me down at the end, too. :rolleyes1:

pberggren1
05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
Ya, I so know what you mean Sangye. I am not looking forward to summer. When we lived at the farm many times I would hose myself down or run through the sprinkler in the summer to help cool down.

Sangye
05-31-2011, 02:02 AM
I have good air conditioning in here, and the one good thing about living in a basement is no sun to heat it up.

pberggren1
05-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Very true Sangye. My bedroom is in the basement so I have that advantage as well. Usually in the summer I sleep in a lot to avoid the heat of the day or nap in the afternoon.

Sangye
06-03-2011, 04:51 AM
These bunnies are psychic! I've been sharing stories about them on Twitter lately. Yesterday I was watching one of them eating. I tweeted that I had only seen one since the big heatwave began, and would they both please appear together thank you very much. I hit "Send" and turned my head to see the second bunny run across the yard and sit next to the first one. It was amazing!

With them together I finally could tell them apart. One has a small white spot on its forehead. I named it "Bindu." Bindu baby bunny. LOL I couldn't think of a name for the other and wanted a gender-neutral name because you know, I don't wanna offend anyone. But today I decided to call the other one "Jackie" in honor of my dear buddy on here who also loves rabbits. So Jack, now you have a namesake. :smile1:

BrianR
06-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Great names! Now I suppose I need to come up with an name for this little fellow. These photos were taken yesterday outside my office. TIP...don't go outside covered in BBQ sauce when this boy is lurking!!10801079

Sangye
06-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Wow, gorgeous! Looks like a Hank to me. :biggrin1:

BrianR
06-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Wow, gorgeous! Looks like a Hank to me. :biggrin1:

Hank it is then. (Latin: Hankus Horribilus)

Sangye
06-03-2011, 05:18 AM
LOL He's only Horribilus if you're Barbecue Sauced-idus!

marta
06-03-2011, 05:26 AM
LOL He's only Horribilus if you're Barbecue Sauced-idus!
...or that goat laying in pieces underneath him.

marta
06-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Or we could call him Ritux and the goat can be Weggster

Sangye
06-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Bears aren't carnivores, so what happened to that goat?

marta
06-03-2011, 06:05 AM
Nope they're omnivores. 90% of their diet is vegetarian but the other 10% anything goes... including goats.

Sangye
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh wow, I didn't know that! Ack! Poor goat. :sad:

marta
06-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Not to worry Sangye, he (the goat) might be winter kill. Bears are opportunists to the highest degree. They'll eat anything. ANYTHING. That's why we have these 'bear proof' garbage cans in Jasper (they actually have them displayed at the Smithsonian) to keep the bears out of the campgrounds and the townsite. The number of human/bear encounters dropped significantly the very next season after they implemented those garbage bins. So the bear in the picture might just be cleaning up the mess left over from winter's fury.

Sangye
06-11-2011, 01:34 AM
The baby bunnies are getting pretty big! They don't look as fragile anymore, and I'm not worried about a hawk nabbing them. They sure are fun to watch. We're having a heatwave so I put out a bowl of water for all the critters who visit my yard. This morning one of the bunnies dipped her foot in it and then hopped up in the air. It was hilarious. I watered the weeds in the yard the past couple days so they'd survive and feed the bunnies. I never thought I'd do such a thing, but love makes you do crazy things. :smile1:

drz
06-11-2011, 11:48 AM
The baby bunnies are getting pretty big! They don't look as fragile anymore, and I'm not worried about a hawk nabbing them. They sure are fun to watch. We're having a heatwave so I put out a bowl of water for all the critters who visit my yard. This morning one of the bunnies dipped her foot in it and then hopped up in the air. It was hilarious. I watered the weeds in the yard the past couple days so they'd survive and feed the bunnies. I never thought I'd do such a thing, but love makes you do crazy things. :smile1:

We had two rabbits that were either sparring or playing with each other tonight. looked like those old cartoon of kangaroos boxing each other. Usually they just ignore each other but love to get under the bird feeders and eat fallen corn and other seeds.

Sangye
06-11-2011, 12:52 PM
LOL Sweet. :smile1:

Sangye
06-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Current critter count in my yard (residents and daily guests): 2 baby bunnies, 2 baby chipmunks, pair of doves, several pairs of cardinals, tons of chickadees and sparrows (parents and babies), pair of robins, house finches, bluebirds, some other birds I haven't identified and as of today..... one brown rat! :w00t:

pberggren1
06-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Current critter count in my yard (residents and daily guests): 2 baby bunnies, 2 baby chipmunks, pair of doves, several pairs of cardinals, tons of chickadees and sparrows (parents and babies), pair of robins, house finches, bluebirds, some other birds I haven't identified and as of today..... one brown rat! :w00t:

You dirty rat! :wink1:

delorisdoe
06-12-2011, 05:15 AM
yuck...rats.

Sangye
06-12-2011, 05:30 AM
No, he's very cute. Until I saw his tail I didn't even recognize it as a rat. He looks like a short-eared bunny.

Sangye
06-15-2011, 12:01 AM
My landlady has hired someone to clear out all the weeds in my yard. We usually have it done 2-3 times each summer. Normally I call her when they get bad. She was wondering why I hadn't called yet. (She lives upstairs and can't see the weeds because her giant deck blocks my yard) I'm heartbroken-- the bunnies are eating the weeds, and all the animals use them as shelter while they feed. There are a couple patches of grass that snuck in under the fence. Otherwise it's all weeds. Regardless, the guy will pull every single thing leaving a moonscape.

The bunnies are big enough to survive. They might keep living here and just go elsewhere to feed. I don't know. I'm heartbroken at the thought of not seeing them every day. I used to nag my landlady to please get the weeds removed. It always took weeks to get someone out here and since it didn't impact her she seemed to drag her feet. The dandelions would become prickly and my dogs would have no place to go potty. But now it's a different story all because of a couple of bunnies. They're keeping the weeds in check enough for the dogs to have room-- they have struck a balance. I can't stomach the thought of seeing what has become a wild and beautiful little ecosystem be completely pulverized. :sad:

drz
06-15-2011, 01:00 AM
If you want to keep them around start feeding them. Rabbits are lazy and go for easiest food. Throw away scraps like produce that stores toss or corn on cob like for squirrel feed at pet store will attract them. The down side is they will also eat your flowers and any vegetables you plant like lettuce, carrots etc.

My landlady has hired someone to clear out all the weeds in my yard. We usually have it done 2-3 times each summer. Normally I call her when they get bad. She was wondering why I hadn't called yet. (She lives upstairs and can't see the weeds because her giant deck blocks my yard) I'm heartbroken-- the bunnies are eating the weeds, and all the animals use them as shelter while they feed. There are a couple patches of grass that snuck in under the fence. Otherwise it's all weeds. Regardless, the guy will pull every single thing leaving a moonscape.

The bunnies are big enough to survive. They might keep living here and just go elsewhere to feed. I don't know. I'm heartbroken at the thought of not seeing them every day. I used to nag my landlady to please get the weeds removed. It always took weeks to get someone out here and since it didn't impact her she seemed to drag her feet. The dandelions would become prickly and my dogs would have no place to go potty. But now it's a different story all because of a couple of bunnies. They're keeping the weeds in check enough for the dogs to have room-- they have struck a balance. I can't stomach the thought of seeing what has become a wild and beautiful little ecosystem be completely pulverized. :sad:

drz
06-15-2011, 01:00 AM
If you want to keep them around start feeding them. Rabbits are lazy and go for easiest food. Throw away scraps like produce that stores toss or corn on cob like for squirrel feed at pet store will attract them. The down side is they will also eat your flowers and any vegetables you plant like lettuce, carrots etc.

Sangye
06-15-2011, 01:42 AM
I don't have to worry about them eating something I want to keep because there isn't anything else-- literally everything in the yard will be removed down to the dirt.

I've thought about putting food out for the bunnies but I don't want to attract more rats. A friend said the bird seed that falls is probably what attracted the rat. If so, it couldn't be feeding tons of rats (ie, there isn't that much down there, and it's shared by chipmunks, squirrels and birds). There is no way I'm taking down the bird feeder. I can't put other food down because my dogs will nab it. I was wondering about putting alfalfa cubes or something. I don't think the dogs will eat that. Still, I wonder if the bunnies will hang around because they'll be completely exposed. Right now there are tall dandelion stalks providing shelter for them.

pberggren1
06-15-2011, 02:23 AM
This totally sucks Sangye!

Sangye
06-15-2011, 03:19 AM
I know. I'm having a hard time with it. :sad:

pberggren1
06-15-2011, 03:28 AM
I get great joy and comfort from animals. We only have a cat now but back on the farm we had many cats and dogs and of course all the wild animals.

drz
06-15-2011, 05:33 AM
I know. I'm having a hard time with it. :sad:

When she gets it down to the dirt ask her her if you can plant a small garden. Throw out some lettuce seed and carrot seed and you will have bunny heaven. Seed is cheap and lettuce grows pretty fast. Just needs a little water.

Sangye
06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I totally wish I could do that. I'm sure she wouldn't mind. There's just no way I can do it physically. The dirt is super hard and would really need to be worked to grow anything. There's no sun, either. :sad:

MCC
06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Aww would love to see photos if you get the chance Sangye!

Sangye
06-15-2011, 11:37 PM
This thread is broken!

drz
06-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Seems you fixed it by posting your comment.

Sangye
06-17-2011, 12:48 AM
(LOL--that's weird!)

Mandy, I've been trying to get pictures of them. There's an 8 ft deck between my door and the dirt so the pictures I take with my phone camera render the bunnies too tiny to see.

The gardener will be here in about an hour. I'm saying goodbye to the weeds and asking the animals to please stay if they feel safe. This morning I talked a squirrel into eating the peanut butter I had put out instead of raiding the bird feeder. He was very gracious about it once he understood.

Sangye
06-17-2011, 01:35 AM
This the "Before" picture.

pberggren1
06-17-2011, 03:23 AM
It didn't work for me Sangye.

Sangye
06-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Hmm, try again? It works for me.

pberggren1
06-17-2011, 05:30 AM
I tried again and it didn't work. Time for some pred rage I guess. :predrage:

Sangye
06-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Maybe you gotta slap your computer around? LOL I don't know how to fix it.

pberggren1
06-17-2011, 06:42 AM
I even tried kicking the computer. Now I will throw it across the room.

drz
06-17-2011, 07:16 AM
I even tried kicking the computer. Now I will throw it across the room.
It doesn't work for me either. I think the link is to a pix on her computer so she can see it but not us.

Sangye
06-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Okay see if this works. It says it's uploading the image.

pberggren1
06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Now it works. Thanks Sangye. I hope the animals stay around.

Sangye
06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Me too. The gardener was supposed to come today but forgot his equipment. I feel like we got a stay of execution.

pberggren1
06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
A gardener forgeting his equipment? That is strange.

drz
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM

I think it looks nice as is. Maybe you can get a designation as a wildlife area from the National Wildlife Foundation and leave it wild. I did that for a vacant lot next door.

Lightwarrior
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM

That is very pretty

Sangye
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't mind being a renter except for times like this when I have no say over my own environment. I understand it to some degree since it's a very population dense neighborhood (a whopping 20 windows can see my little yard) and they want the neighborhood to look a certain way.

Fran
06-18-2011, 01:49 AM
1268Powerful stuff that peanut butter Sangye !!!

Sangye
06-18-2011, 01:53 AM
ROTFL Totally cracked me up, Fran. I think I've seen that guy. http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

drz
06-18-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't mind being a renter except for times like this when I have no say over my own environment. I understand it to some degree since it's a very population dense neighborhood (a whopping 20 windows can see my little yard) and they want the neighborhood to look a certain way.

Sounds like the back yard of a NYC high rise except they might have 200 windows. Any idea why they don't just rock it or pave it or our door carpet it so they don't have to do the weeds all the time. That is NOT what you want but most places use one of these options when they want an area to look nice. Outdoor artificial turf is big on NYC rooftops when they set up patios or entertainment centers there.

Sangye
06-18-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm glad it's not paved or artificially turfed or I couldn't live here. I have to be able to open the door and let my dogs out for potty. Rocks would be okay with me, but they eventually get weeds, too. I think it's a question of out of sight, out of mind.

delorisdoe
06-19-2011, 01:42 AM
My husband cleaned our windows wed night. friday morning a dove flew right into it and broke his neck :( I think i will leave the mess he made on the window there so that his widow will not make the same mistake.

Sangye
06-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Oh how sad! Some people put stickers on their windows to help birds see them. Some look like stained glass images of birds and things so they don't look odd on a window.

My yard has been filled with chickadee and sparrow parents teaching their babies how to forage for food, etc.... A couple weeks ago I was laying in bed and heard one hit the window a bit. He didn't hurt himself and flew off. That day must have been "This Is What Windows Are" Day because all day long little birds flew into the windows and flew off. I'm not kidding-- I stopped counting by midday when there had been at least 8 of them! Nobody got hurt or even stunned. Except me, who was in shock all day.

delorisdoe
06-19-2011, 03:08 AM
i think the remains of the first dove will deter.

Sangye
06-19-2011, 03:31 AM
I don't believe it-- the baby birds are starting it again. I'm about ready to go outside and say, "Parents, PLEASE watch your children at all times!"

delorisdoe
06-19-2011, 03:54 AM
Imagine if this was your window 1269

pberggren1
06-19-2011, 04:37 AM
We never wash our windows.

delorisdoe
06-19-2011, 04:38 AM
lmfao...thats what i say but the husband has this image to keep up. lol

pberggren1
06-19-2011, 04:39 AM
We are not too big into cleaning anything around here. lol

drz
06-19-2011, 11:17 AM
We got some of stick on bird designs for the windows, sort of a plastic thing that sticks with no glue. Any thing taped on window will also work to alert them. Years ago when we still had a mountain ash tree the birds would get drunk after the first frost from eat the frozen and thawed berries since that made them ferment and boy did they often hit the deck window then and even the house. Watch out for drunken fliers, especially the robins. No more fatalities since we cut the tree down due to old age and rotting trunk.

Sangye
06-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. I think they make them so people won't walk into sliding glass doors. My doors are usually covered in dog noseprints and slobber. LOL

That's amazing about the birds getting drunk on fermented berries. Poor little guys!

Sangye
06-25-2011, 12:44 AM
The gardener came on Monday. Fortunately, he was the worst gardener ever and only pulled up the tall dandelions, removed a few weeds and trimmed the 2 bushes. He left the bits of grass, a bunch of weeds and the sprouts from the fallen bird seed. The yard looks awful from a gardening perspective, but all I can see is food for the critters. :smile1:

He also cut the internet cable while trimming the bushes. That knocked out our internet for 2.5 days. When the repair guy came, he noticed our router wasn't working well and needed to be upgraded. The new one is WAY faster! So the cable getting cut was a blessing in disguise.

With the tall weeds gone I was worried the bunnies wouldn't feel safe. Nope! They're still here, munching on what's left. I put out some bok choy that was too wilted for me, but good for them. I saw munch marks the next day. These bunnies are so amazing. I hadn't seen the second smaller one in over a week. Yesterday I tweeted a request that they both show up together. That had worked once before. Wouldn't you know it, within a few hours there they were, side by side. So either the baby bunnies are psychic or they have Twitter! :w00t:

Sangye
06-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Okay, I'm starting to get a little spooked by these psychic bunnies. I hadn't seen them very much the past couple days and not at all today. I went out and did a few errands. Usually when I get home at least one is sitting in the yard eating and scurries away when I come in the gate. Not today--no one there. I got all sad, thinking maybe they've just moved on. (We haven't had rain lately and the few weeds left are slowly dying. I figured they must be dining and hanging out elsewhere.)

I'd only been home about 30 minutes and looked out the window. And there was Bindu Bunny sitting right there in the middle of the sidewalk as if to say, "Do you see me NOW?" He never sits there! LOL

Hammy8241
07-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Strange how you don’t register everyday things you see/pass daily. As part of my work I visit several water works each day. Particularly at night, they are havens for wildlife. Each site however have its own selection of visitors.

All have an abundant number of Bunnies of all sizes. One site in particular is saturated with them. There they ‘play chicken’ with the trucks as we move around. They see us and then dash across the road in front. Why? Who knows, but as we go slow we never hit them. At the other sites the bunnies just ignore us. They also sit on the side of the main roads just watching – like a spy ring……the trucks are coming – pass it on!

We get to see at close deer, badgers, foxes, various birds of prey plus the ever present rats ,mice and shrews. Some of these of course like Bunny but I guess that’s life!

Hammy8241
07-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Strange how you don’t register everyday things you see/pass daily. As part of my work I visit several water works each day. Particularly at night, they are havens for wildlife. Each site however have its own selection of visitors.

All have an abundant number of Bunnies of all sizes. One site in particular is saturated with them. There they ‘play chicken’ with the trucks as we move around. They see us and then dash across the road in front. Why? Who knows, but as we go slow we never hit them. At the other sites the bunnies just ignore us. They also sit on the side of the main roads just watching – like a spy ring……the trucks are coming – pass it on!

Please ignore previous post.

I thought I'd take my camera into work last night and would post a pic showing a carpet of bunnies today........WRONG!
Hardly a rabbit in sight! Not on the sides of the roads, not in any of the works and the so called 'saturated' site was all but empty!!

Did they know what I'd intended? Were they watching? Are they watching me? Are they on hoilday or just have a better offer?

Psyborg
07-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I *warned* you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you *knew*, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little *bunny*, isn't it?
- Tim

Sangye
07-05-2011, 12:15 AM
ROTFL Bob.....:laugh:

Hammy, it heartens me to know that you have psychic bunnies in Britain, too. :w00t:

Sangye
07-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Okay, I have a little mystery that requires you detectives out there. About a week ago I left a dishtowel hanging on the handrail of my deck. I saw it there yesterday and reminded myself I need to add it to my laundry. This morning I went out to get it and it's gone. It was hanging about 3 ft off the ground. I looked all over the yard (being a tiny yard it took about 2 mins). I have a 5 ft fence so it couldn't have blown away even if there had been wind.

Any idea what kind of creature could have made off with it and why? Who's got my towel??!! :laugh:

BrianR
07-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Okay, I have a little mystery that requires you detectives out there. About a week ago I left a dishtowel hanging on the handrail of my deck. I saw it there yesterday and reminded myself I need to add it to my laundry. This morning I went out to get it and it's gone. It was hanging about 3 ft off the ground. I looked all over the yard (being a tiny yard it took about 2 mins). I have a 5 ft fence so it couldn't have blown away even if there had been wind.

Any idea what kind of creature could have made off with it and why? Who's got my towel??!! :laugh:

Absolutely! This is clearly the work of mischievous aliens. Not the abducting/probing type, more the handiwork of the harmless "Just having some fun at the expense of the not so smart humans" type. Oh...and they often disguise themselves as cuddly bunnies.

Either that or a bird made off with it although I favor the alien theory myself.

Hammy8241
1372 Need i say more?

marta
Sherlock Marta on the case :wink1:. I'm thinking if you have bunnies in the area you might also have deer in the area and they have no problem jumping a 5ft fence. In our neck of the woods, deer like to steel stuff when you're in the backcountry. If there is anything salty or smelly on the material, they'll scoop it, lick everything off it and deposit a little ways away from the camp. Just ask Brian, he's lost his underpants to a deer.... (just kidding, but it's a good visual isn't it) ... so maybe Bambi.

marta
07-26-2011, 03:32 AM
1372 Need i say more?

Hammy, you slay me.

Sangye
07-26-2011, 03:38 AM
ROTFL All excellent theories! :laugh:

Brian-- yeah, definitely don't like the probing kinds of aliens. We have them on earth. We just call them proctologists, urologists and gynecologists!

Hammy-- totally. That's what I'm thinking. Some lil bunny wanted a baby blankie.

Marta-- if you could see where I live you'd crack up laughing at the thought of a deer leaping into this yard.

Hammy8241
07-26-2011, 03:41 AM
And they made a 'clean' getaway.
or
If whoever took it, does not return it they may end all 'washed up':biggrin1:

Ok , ok , too much! I'll hop off now, bye

Sangye
07-26-2011, 03:46 AM
I think it's an underground conspiracy to keep me from doing my laundry! :wink1:

drz
07-26-2011, 03:46 AM
When I was visiting my daughter her cat stole three towels she gave me. They were all hung on bathroom towel rack and he would take them to hide in his nest under the bed. I finally hung the towels over the shower rod so i would not have to keep replacing them.

Sangye
07-26-2011, 03:47 AM
LOL! Wow, a cat? I wouldn't have thought of that. I totally wish I had a yard cam...

Sangye
07-26-2011, 05:57 AM
So. I've solved the "mystery." :blushing:

The "yesterday" that I last saw the towel hanging outside was actually Saturday. Saturday afternoon. Just a couple minutes before I threw it in the wash with a load of other towels. I just realized this and verified that the towel is indeed clean and on the shelf. I am doubled over laughing. I mean, how messed up is my mind, anyway??!! ROTFL http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

pberggren1
07-26-2011, 08:39 AM
So. I've solved the "mystery." :blushing:

The "yesterday" that I last saw the towel hanging outside was actually Saturday. Saturday afternoon. Just a couple minutes before I threw it in the wash with a load of other towels. I just realized this and verified that the towel is indeed clean and on the shelf. I am doubled over laughing. I mean, how messed up is my mind, anyway??!! ROTFL http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

I so know how you feel. I can't remember most days if I took certain meds or not.

Sangye
07-26-2011, 12:42 PM
When I realized what had happened, I literally doubled over laughing. It's good to be able to laugh at yourself. I get a lot of practice!

Chris G
07-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Other than having a wicked bad memory.......how are you feeling these days? Has the rtx kicked in for you yet?? Have the evil rtx side effects begun to wear off?

Sangye
07-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Yeah, the past 4 days I've been feeling better. The rtx seemed to take 2 weeks longer to kick in this time, but it's hard to know for sure. It might have been kicking in when I went to see the Dalai Lama but I was overdoing it so much I couldn't tell. At any rate, I'm glad to be feeling a bit better right now.

Sangye
08-05-2011, 04:24 AM
I hadn't seen the baby bunnies for a couple weeks but one just reappeared yesterday. S/he has really grown! I'm hoping to have new babies in the yard. Really hoping. I have empty bunny nest syndrome.

Psyborg
08-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Well they are bunnies, you should have a better than average chance :)

Sangye
08-06-2011, 12:53 PM
LOL That's what I'm thinking. Bunnies, start your engines!

Psyborg
08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
I had bunnies on and off for a while before I got my dogs, they mostly avoid my yard now as she's part beagle and feels compelled to hunt them.

One time when I was mowing I startled one and it jumped into one of my basement window wells. It couldn't get out so I had to pull it out by hand. It wasn't little tiny, maybe half grown at that point. Very soft when I pet it :)

drz
08-07-2011, 12:49 AM
I have had rabbits nesting my lawn several times and it gives you a really start when they come tearing out of their hole. They dig a hole in the grass that you can't see until you are on top of it.

Of course the wild cats and our dog would often find them first but they only seem vulnerable to attacks for a short period of time and soon they run fast enough to get away from any predator.

Sangye
08-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm glad my bunnies lived under the deck. They seemed to be pretty well protected from most predators, and I just like the thought of bunnies under there. They make nice downstairs neighbors.

drz
08-07-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm glad my bunnies lived under the deck. They seemed to be pretty well protected from most predators, and I just like the thought of bunnies under there. They make nice downstairs neighbors.

Do you feed them at all? They eat a lot of my bird seed that falls on ground but don't seem interested in any vegetables or fruit I put out.

My favorite wildife to watch now are the hummers and finches drinking at the hummingbird feeder.

Sangye
08-07-2011, 01:21 AM
I don't feed the bunnies directly. The fallen birdseed and a bowl of water for all the wildlife is right next to their doorway, so they don't have to go far to eat out. They also eat the weeds in my yard. I put out some lettuce once and there were a few nibbles on it. But the yard is so tiny that if I put food out my dogs would get it and/or it would attract (more) rats.

BrianR
05-20-2012, 12:42 AM
A clear sign of spring in my part of the world is daily bear sightings to and from my place of work. Here are two photos of one year old black bear cubs. Black bears also come in brown and even blond but they are still "black bears". Like Sangye's bunnies, we do not feed these guys. 1587 1586

Dryhill
05-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh wow! The best I see are foxes, grey sqirrells and rabbits, sometimes at night I will see badgers and deer.

Jim

Debbie C
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
A clear sign of spring in my part of the world is daily bear sightings to and from my place of work. Here are two photos of one year old black bear cubs. Black bears also come in brown and even blond but they are still "black bears". Like Sangye's bunnies, we do not feed these guys. 1587 1586
Wow Brian that would be neat to see..where abouts do u live?

annekat
05-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I have seen "cinnamon bears" who are also under the heading of black bears. Not around here but in Yosemite National Park where one stole my backpack. Also in Olympic National Park here in Washington. But to see them like this on the way to work every day would really be special. Nice photos.

Al
05-23-2012, 05:33 AM
A clear sign of spring in my part of the world is daily bear sightings to and from my place of work. Here are two photos of one year old black bear cubs. Black bears also come in brown and even blond but they are still "black bears". Like Sangye's bunnies, we do not feed these guys.

Nice photos, Brian. Interesting to see the brutes, given their apparent weights, cavort in the thinner branches. You say "sign of spring", but I can't help noticing that these trees are still leafless. Most black bears in the Cascades are actually black, though I've seen cinnamon bears in the Sierra Nevadas and into Oregon. No, let's not feed these guys.

Al

annekat
05-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Nice photos, Brian. Interesting to see the brutes, given their apparent weights, cavort in the thinner branches. You say "sign of spring", but I can't help noticing that these trees are still leafless. Most black bears in the Cascades are actually black, though I've seen cinnamon bears in the Sierra Nevadas and into Oregon. No, let's not feed these guys.

Al "My" cinnamon bear in Yosemite was the only one I ever saw. If I saw any bears in Olympic Nat'l Park, they were probably black or dark brown; otherwise , I would have remembered.

BrianR
05-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi Debra et al.

I live in the town of Jasper in Jasper National Park, Canada; a community of 4,500 permanent residents who collectively grieved for a week when our one and only traffic light was installed some years ago.

Cinnamon is the other most common color for our `black`bears but we also see those that are quite blonde in color. Many folks think they have seen a grizzly when they see a light colored black bear but once you actually see a grizzly there is no mistaking it for a blackie. I had the pleasure of almost running into a grizzly three days ago. I was on my way home from a 50 mile bike ride and was a little gassed and, when cresting a hill head down, I looked up to see an adult grizzly looking up at me from the ditch 20 feet away where he or she ( I did not take the time to check its gender) was staring at me with that `what you looking at skinny` kind of look. Needless to say it was an uneventful encounter; we both carried on with our business. A good friend of mine got caught up with a mama grizzly some years back while he was out mountain riding but she did not ignore him. After several hundred stitches and some plastic surgery he came out fine but those critters play for keeps if you get between them and their babies. He survived by playing dead while she worked him over; courage one cannot imagine mustering whilst teeth and claws thrash at head and back. How he kept it together is, to me, almost unfathomable.

Anyway, I (we) love these environs and all they offer.

Since I am posting I will take this opportunity to report that Marta is in Edmonton for a Dr appointment. I will not get into detail but suffice it to say that all is well, spirits high, blood test shows all well within normal, med induced r...r...rem... oh never mind, you get it. Hard to say it for fear of jinxing it.

To all on this forum, stay strong, get well, stay well. I am profoundly grateful for the people on this forum.

Peace,

Brian

Lightwarrior
05-23-2012, 10:40 AM
To all on this forum, stay strong, get well, stay well. I am profoundly grateful for the people on this forum.

Peace,

Brian

Brian, We on this forum (at least me and I think the rest of us) are profoundly grateful for you and Marta (and the adorable stories about and pictures of Hannah)

Dryhill
05-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Brian, I found your account of cycling and meeting a bear facinating. I used to do a bit of off-road biking and used to get annoyed at having trouble with dogs that were off the lead, or having a bunny that could not make up its mind which way to run. Hmmm meeting a bear now that is a litle extreme. Perhaps we should have had bears in the UK when I used to do cross-country running, trying to out-run a bear might have given me more wins!

Please pass my regards to Marta.

Jim

Debbie C
05-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Brian, how lucky u were that bear just let u go on about yr business and not come after u like yr friend. That was some bike ride !! I remember when I was younger we went on a family vacation to Yellowstone and had a picnic lunch all set out and along came some bears ( not Yogi or boo-boo either) and we all ran so fast back to the car and watched them eat our lunch. Pretty scary then.
I'm glad everything is doing well with Marta ...Take care and maybe carry some mace on yr next bike ride !!

Al
05-24-2012, 05:26 AM
I'm glad everything is doing well with Marta ...Take care and maybe carry some mace on yr next bike ride !!Not so sure I would recommend macing a testy grizzly, Debra--especially at mace-y distances! Maybe a loud B-flat from your bass trombone would be more effective--or at least a shock to the bear....

Brian, I'm not quite sure what the "R" word actually means in practical terms (my doc doesn't like that particular locution), but I know that Marta detests feeling yucky, so if she is regaining her fighting stance, that is fantastic. And I hope you and Hana are making it through....

Al

Debbie C
05-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Not so sure I would recommend macing a testy grizzly, Debra--especially at mace-y distances! Maybe a loud B-flat from your bass trombone would be more effective--or at least a shock to the bear....

Brian, I'm not quite sure what the "R" word actually means in practical terms (my doc doesn't like that particular locution), but I know that Marta detests feeling yucky, so if she is regaining her fighting stance, that is fantastic. And I hope you and Hana are making it through....

Al
Yea I guess yr right about the mace Al,how about a can of "OFF" that sprays up to 12 ft !!??

BrianR
05-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Not so sure I would recommend macing a testy grizzly, Debra--especially at mace-y distances! Maybe a loud B-flat from your bass trombone would be more effective--or at least a shock to the bear....

Al

Yes Al. I too am a little unclear as to what the "R" word actually means in practical terms but nice to know that the disease is not active insofar as causing any further damage (so to speak). Marta is regaining her fighting stance although, as we all know, it's baby steps but steps nonetheless. Hana is a handful (in a good way) and clearly takes after her mother. Yesterday, as we were walking home from a restaurant, I was explaining to her how she should focus more and not get distracted so much. She told me girls "are far better at multi-tasking than boys". This, I am sure, she gets from her mother who is a master multi-tasker.

pberggren1
05-24-2012, 06:12 PM
That's a cute one Brian. Thanks. Ya, as far as remission goes it is so different for everyone. But the way I look at it is if the Wegs is not flaring then you are in remission.

Al
05-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Yea I guess yr right about the mace Al,how about a can of "OFF" that sprays up to 12 ft !!??I'm sure the bear would appreciate a spritz of mosquito repellent, but I think I would still rather deal with the big fella from a safer distance--especially if I were on foot....

Al

Al
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes Al. I too am a little unclear as to what the "R" word actually means in practical terms but nice to know that the disease is not active insofar as causing any further damage (so to speak). Marta is regaining her fighting stance although, as we all know, it's baby steps but steps nonetheless. Hana is a handful (in a good way) and clearly takes after her mother. Yesterday, as we were walking home from a restaurant, I was explaining to her how she should focus more and not get distracted so much. She told me girls "are far better at multi-tasking than boys". This, I am sure, she gets from her mother who is a master multi-tasker.I did a "spit take" reading this, Brian. Let's see: Han takes after her mother. Hana is a handful. Ergo, Marta is a handful too...?

In fact, I am sure that many guys feel blown away by the competencies of their women-folk. Certainly, I am, and for good reason. My daughter, for instance, has always been somewhat bi-polar. That, in addition to her extremely high (and, yes, multi-tasking) intelligence, along with the fact that all her school mates had the same make-up (but often bullies, in a girl-bully sort of way), made for a dangerous combination. I cannot count the number of times I would sit beside her bed for hours listening to her prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that black was, in fact, white. Actually, I realized that I was out of my league. When Amy was still a pre-schooler, she caught me in an error--spelling, grammar, or some such. After I apologized, she announced to everyone, "Well, Dad, I am a little ahead of you when it comes to smartness." Ah, family lore. Enjoy those precious times with your even more precious little multi-tasker.

Al