PDA

View Full Version : mtx itching

vdub
05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm having bad itching; back of my neck, my hands, my feet, and my cheeks mostly, but I could just as easily say all over. I'm actually drawing blood from scratching my feet.

I checked the side effects of all my many drugs and it looks like the mtx could be the culprit. I'm on 25mg once a week now. However, we just moved during the past couple days (RV) from sunny dry Texas to high humidity Kansas. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not. I think going from humid to dry could be a factor, but not the other way around.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm thinking its the mtx.

Also, while talking about mtx, I seem to have my worst day of the week about second day after taking the dose. I.e., I take the pills Thur morn, Friday is ok, but Sat no so good -- very stiff, lathargic, aching bones and muscles. Things typically get better by Sunday. Normal?

pberggren1
05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
This is very odd vdub about the ictching. I wish I could be of some help. I was on mtx a couple of times back in 2004 and 2004 but I don't remember the dose or having any weird or bothersome side effects. I think I was on 25mg, but I could be mistaken.

Sangye
05-08-2011, 11:46 PM
vdub, severe itching like that is a classic sign of liver problems. You need to checked this checked immediately, as liver stress can go downhill quickly. Since today is Sunday, I suggest you go to an ER and get blood work done. Routine labs will check liver function. I know it's a pain to go to the ER, but I don't recommend waiting until tomorrow.

Chris G
05-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Itching can also be a sign of allergic reaction. I had a reaction to an antibiotic several years back, and it started with unbearable itching on my hands and feet..... then my lips and tongue swelled. Did this itching just start recently? And did it start right after a dose of mtx?

If you think that you could be having an allergic reaction, please be careful. It would likely get worse with each exposure, and could lead to throat swelling, and difficulty breathing.

I take 25 mg injectible mtx, and I feel my worst the day after I dose. I take my injection in the evening, and I have very restless sleep that night, and generally feel like crap the next day - no nausea, but I usually get a headache, and feel like I've taken a handful of narcotics (brain is really foggy) - achy and lethargic also.

vdub
05-09-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't think it is liver as I'm getting blood tests every two weeks and liver function has been perfect each time. But, I'm not sure it is the mtx either. And, I haven't changed any meds in 8 months (except an increase in mtx). I'm somewhat perplexed.

I have noticed that the mtx is kind of kicking my butt 2 days after taking it. I take it on Thursday morn and Sat/Sun are bad aching days. I did call the doc on that one and he agreed it was probably the mtx causing the aching, but he said my labs were coming in good and to hang in there if I wasn't in too much discomfort.

I'll do some more pondering on the itching... Maybe there is something external causing it.... Thanks all!

Chris G
05-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Allergic reactions to meds don't necessarily happen the first time you take them. You can develop an allergy to a medication you've been taking. That's how it happened with me - it was an antibiotic that I had taken many times before for sinus infections, and suddenly out of the blue, I had a reaction to it.

Had you recently taken the mtx when the itching started? How long did the itching last? The severity of your itching (scratching 'til you bleed) makes me think allergic reaction.

vdub
05-09-2011, 02:43 AM
Had you recently taken the mtx when the itching started?
Maybe... I'm not sure. I guess this is yet one more thing I need to note in my journal.....

elephant
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I agree it sounds like an allergic reaction and how is your kidneys. Kidney failure can cause itiching too!

vdub
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Well, I have some pee sticks to check for blood. Maybe I should use a few. The urinalysis a week ago didn't show anything. I have more tests in a week.

Sangye
05-09-2011, 12:51 PM
The easiest way to check if it's an allergic reaction is to take some Benadryl. It wouldn't have any effect on the itching if the liver is the source of the trouble.

vdub
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't think I have any benadryl, but I do have lots of other antihistamines.... I'll give it a shot....

Chris G
05-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Does the itching continue? Did it decrease or go away at all?

oaktreehill
05-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Im currently on Mtx, 20mg per week oral... I have noticed that I itch too !! Often joke to my husband that I have fleas! (I dont by the way)...Its as if my skin is itching from inside so I can sympathise with you there...

Sangye
05-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Have you mentioned it to your doctor? Whether it's an allergic reaction or low-grade liver irritation, neither should be allowed to continue.

Chris G
05-10-2011, 06:29 AM
I checked mtx side-effects. Itching is listed as a possible side effect, but it's also listed under the more severe side effects, as it would relate to a systemic allergic reactiong.

So it does seem possible that if you're not having a serious allergic reaction, generalized itching could just be a side effect in your case. Either way, I'd have some benadryl on hand just in case!!

Kami
05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Itching is also a side effect of B12 if you're taking that at all.

vdub
05-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Interesting.... I do inject B12 and I also read that mtx has itching as a side affect. I have started adding "itching" to my daily journal. I didn't think too much of it at first, so I never entered it.

The journal has allowed me to pretty much determine that I feel crappy on day 3 and 4 after taking my mtx (given that I take it on day 1). I normally take it on Thursday. Not sure why I picked Thursday as the day. That makes Sat and Sun the bad days. Good planning, huh? :wink1: Generally on those days, I just ache all over. Today was a good day -- HOOAH!