PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary to me

marta
05-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Exactly one year ago this moment, I was heading to the ER to be told that I have secondary lung cancer that has metastasized from who knows where. I could barely talk, walk or breathe. I was about to get on the craziest roller coaster ride of my life. Luckily for me it turned out to be Wegener's, and I can sit here today and write this post.

To celebrate my one year anniversary of a second crack at life, I just spent an hour and a half on my neeeewwww treadmill (just walking - no jogging yet) while I watched a movie and burned off 365 calories - see the connection? The movie was about a young girl who has superpowers - not your usual superpowers like flying, or becoming invisible or being faster than a speeding bullet or anything like that.... she could tell when people lied. Well I kept thinking about all of us on this forum, we all have superpowers, not your usual superpowers but superpowers nevertheless. We're all superheroes, and every superhero has a nemesis, and ours is Wegener's, so here's to crushing our nemesis.

I am so very excited to have the energy to even consider getting some of the old Marta back, and shedding some of the nasty pred weight I've aquired and regain some of my muscles that have gone the way of my adrenal glands and the do-do bird. I'm on 15mg of pred and the full moon known as my face is waning, I actually see some hollow bits under my cheek bones, and my buffalo hump is now a baby buffalo hump, so I KNOW that things will slowly but surely improve.

I am thankful for all of the wonderful things that have happened this year that would never have happened had I not been forced down this path, and the wonderful people I have met that I wouldn't have met otherwise. I have gotten so much from all of you, and I hope that I have reciprocated even a fraction of what I've received. Just FYI, the results from the survey that we've all contributed to might get published in a Rheumatology Journal... this is still up in the air, but it seems like it might happen, you will all be the first to know if and when it happens, how's that for something cool that wouldn't have happened had we all not been forced on this insane roller coaster ride.

Good health and long life to each and everyone of you.

pberggren1
05-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Happy Anniversary! It does not look like I will be seeing you this summer. Finances are not good here. But I am sure I will see you again.

Lightwarrior
05-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Happy Anniversary brave one. You remind us all to live with love, laughter and courage. Thanks

marta
05-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Phil, we'll see each other when we're supposed to... when we're both strong enough to chase bears through the woods.
Lightwarrior - I'm not any braver than anyone else on this forum. We're all superheroes - but Phil is Batman!! ha ha.

Sangye
05-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Happy Anniversary.

marta
05-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks Sangye, who woulda thunk that something like what went down last year would give me such a happy day today.

elephant
05-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Congrats on getting on the Treadmill and burning 365 calories! That took care of one muffin! Happy Anniversary!

marta
05-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Congrats on getting on the Treadmill and burning 365 calories! That took care of one muffin! Happy Anniversary!

no kidding... you can tell how 'not fast' I was walking... time to get on the rice cakes :(

NicShaf
05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Happy Anniversary! Glad to hear everything is going so well.

delorisdoe
05-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Rice cakes. Yuck.

Kami
05-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Very well said Marta! Happy Anniversary and the best to you!! Kami

Deanne Hull
05-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Happy Anniversary good luck for the next one.

marta
05-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys. I just had to share the high I'm on today just comparing my situation a year ago to this day - suddenly everything is so relative.... what use to be a bad day before getting sick, is an awesome day now, I'm having fun celebrating the awesomeness of today.

As for the rice cakes Leigh, that might have to start tomorrow, tonight (after loosing my 365 calories today) I put on probably over 4,000 ha ha - but it sure was tasty. Filet mignon (sp?) with carmelized ginger glaze, melted brie with cranberry coulee (sp?), sour cream ice cream with peppered strawberries and chocolate/lemon sauce, plus a couple of drinks including a Hypno-tini. I can see the pred receptors all salivating right now... I want more. I know that rice cakes taste like cardboard, but I'm gonna try and get the old body back, or as close as possible.

Thanks again for all the times you've let me vent when things were going goofy, and for letting me be excited when things are going well. Thanks for all of the questions you've answered and the friendships that have started on this forum. Just THANKS!!!

delorisdoe
05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
That sounds much more appealing. I too have a treadmill. When I am healthy my husband reminds me that I should be using it. So, when he reminds me of this I go upstairs turn on the treadmill turn on the tv, sit on the bed while the treadmill runs and i watch the tv. I dont like to be "reminded" to use my treadmill. I also have a y membership but I get queasy when I smell the teenage boys sweat. I hate the Y.

I prefer to go on hikes. My favorite hike is a few minutes from my home and follows the creek and the waterfalls. It is rather intense though so ever since I had pneumonia at christmas and an aparent slow moving-not complaining-flare up of wg I have been afraid of starting this hike and being stuck half way and not being able to complete it or turn around and climb back up to the start.

I also have sidewalks in front of my house. Sidewalks that lead to perfectly flat trails. I have a dog. He loves long walks.

I have a lot of excuses. Tomorow I will garden.

Congrats on the one year mark Marta. Your post makes me want to hike.

Geoff
05-07-2011, 08:12 PM
- suddenly everything is so relative.... what use to be a bad day before getting sick, is an awesome day now, I'm having fun celebrating the awesomeness of today.

I am smiling at your 'Awesomeness'. Carry on lighting up our Forum with your 'Goofy Vents' and sharing your 'Highs' with us!!!

Happy Anniversary!!....Now get back on that Treadmill (Filet Mignon indeed with carmelized ginger glaze....MMmmmmmm) :flapper:

Chris G
05-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Congrats and happy anniversary Marta!!

marta
05-08-2011, 01:50 AM
I will, I will Geoff, I promise. I know, the food was outta this world, and booze of all things. I never drink, but felt I had reason to celebrate.
Thanks Chris. Here's to many many more, for all of us.
Leigh, I'm so on the same page, when someone tells me I need to do something, there's an automatic 'push back' - it's been like that since I was a kid...my loved ones have figured that out by now though. Where do you live, it sounds lovely. I've been getting that look from my dog too... the 'are you gonna take me out mommy' look. We can do a simoultaneous hike - just tell me when and we can compare notes after - ha ha.

Lightwarrior
05-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Leigh, I'm so on the same page, when someone tells me I need to do something, there's an automatic 'push back' - it's been like that since I was a kid...

I have a huge aversion to authority, I'm lucky I have a boss who works around it and lets me be my own boss. It seems like several of us on this forum have that aversion to authority or "independent streak". I wonder what the correlation is between this trait and Wegeners??

Sangye
05-08-2011, 02:18 AM
I've noticed that, too Lightwarrior. I also have the habit of opposing authority. I work on it a lot! I even regarded Wegs as a sort of tyrant over me for awhile--holding me down from what I really want to me doing with my life. Therapy and my practice are helping me see that that attitude actually increases my suffering. All that struggling consumes a huge amount of energy and takes my mind everywhere but the present moment. It's a work in progress.

delorisdoe
05-08-2011, 02:40 AM
well, at least we now know what causes wg

marta
05-08-2011, 02:47 AM
I hope that doesn't bode ill for my kid, because she sure is an excellent opposer to authority.

Sangye
05-08-2011, 02:49 AM
LOL Nah, that's normal for her age. She's gonna be strong and healthy.

delorisdoe
05-08-2011, 04:30 AM
LOL Nah, that's normal for her age. She's gonna be strong and healthy.

yup...for my daughter it is a learned behavior. learned from her mother

aewaustin
05-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Happy Anniversary Marta! You sound so good, and so glad that you went out to celebrate! The dinner sounds amazing! I think it is cool to have an anniversary date to remind of how far you have come, and how much better off you are than a year ago. Yay for you!!! :)

Kami
05-08-2011, 12:18 PM
yup...for my daughter it is a learned behavior. learned from her mother

I have one of those too! lol :smile1:

Psyborg
05-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Happy Anniversary Marta. Coming up on one year shortly myself...I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you. You'll be jogging on that treadmill in no time :)

marta
05-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Thanks Bob,

I was saying to my fam, it's one year down, 50 more to go (no, I'm not greedy at all)... I am looking forward to jogging on the treadmill and also on the trails - Crouching Tiger Hidden Draggon style.:w00t: