PDA

View Full Version : A Very Funny Day

Sangye
05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Okay, I've been having major diarrhea lately as soon as I eat anything so my JHU PCP ordered stool tests. She also ordered a cholesterol screen since I haven't had one done in a long time. That requires fasting. Dr Seo said if the stool tests were fine then I have to do another round of knock-me-on-my-butt rtx, so it was important to get them done asap.

When I saw the PCP last week, I knew I should have gone to the lab to ask if I needed supplies to collect the stool sample. But I was totally exhausted and it would have been another shuttle ride to get there. The next day I called them and they said I had to pick up a sample cup and bring it back, but I was welcome to "produce" a sample on site. Since I live 1.5 hrs away and the diarrhea is a pretty reliable thing, I thought "No big deal."

So today I get up, skip breakfast and drive my exhausted self to JHU. Oddly, I have no diarrhea all morning. They do the blood work and I head to the cafeteria with the stool sample supplies in my backpack. I knew as soon as I ate I'd be able to fill that cup. So. I eat a nice big lunch with foods that have seemed to get things going the worst.

Then I sit and wait, knowing I can sprint to the nearest restroom and take care of business. But nothing happens. My stomach feels perfectly fine, like it used to. I hang out longer and drink a bunch of water. Nothing. Not even a burp. Now it's like an hour and half since I've eaten and nothing at all is happening. My gut is silent.

I decide that maybe moving around will stir things up, so I go walking around the halls. I'm in bad shape so this is not pretty. Still nothing. I finally decide to go to a local diner and get a very rich dessert. That means taking shuttles (getting in and out is difficult) and driving a bit, but I'm determined.

I get a huge piece of very rich cheesecake and just shovel it in. I'm not a cheesecake fan and force myself to eat the whole thing. I ignore the shocked expression on the waiter's face. I drink a whole glass of ice water, too, since that is terrible for digestion. Nothing.

I decide to go walking in a nearby grocery store. That always gets it going. Nope. I buy a large Slim Jim and eat the whole thing in my car. Nope. At this point I've eaten the same amount of calories I'd eat in 3 days and I feel just dandy.

It's 3:30 and the lab closes at 5. I decide to head back to JHU and just force something out. I go sit in the bathroom and tell my intestines to do something for Pete's sake. I produce a reasonable sample, catch a shuttle and make it to the lab right before they close.

With all that food in me, I thought for sure I'd have a horrific drive home in traffic with cramping and diarrhea. Nope! Everything is just honky-dorey in my belly. I think if the diarrhea comes back I'm just going to picture stool sample collecting supplies and chase it away. :w00t:

drz
05-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Sounds like when you take your car to the mechanic and it is always working fine then he inspects it but the next day the problem returns as soon as you are back home.

pberggren1
05-05-2011, 03:33 PM
That is so strange Sangye. But it does seem that is the way it works sometimes.

Sangye
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm still giggling about yesterday. I don't think I've ever had so many conversations with my intestines before. :laugh:

I actually think I might have stumbled on to the cause of the diarrhea. I usually eat grain cereal for breakfast--oatmeal, granola or a mix of hot grains. The diarrhea starts in right after that, and right after any other meal or snack throughout the day, no matter what it is. Yesterday I had to fast so I didn't have the morning grains. I checked all my cereals-- the only common ingredient is oats. So I think I may have developed a sensitivity to oats that causes my entire GI tract to be inflamed the rest of the day.

I'm gonna avoid oats for a few days and then have a bowl of oatmeal to test my theory. I love oats, so it'd be a bummer if that's the problem. But it's much easier to avoid than wheat so I won't complain!

Psyborg
05-06-2011, 12:55 AM
That'd be a bummer. I have certain foods that make me sick that I'm unwilling to give up, though every time I'm sick after eating it I think "This is the last time!". :)

Sangye
05-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Yes it would be a bummer not to be able to have oats. It's so much better than having to avoid all gluten-causing grains, though! And if oats are the culprit, they cause me to be lactose-intolerant which is a MAJOR bummer. Anything else-- veggies, fruit, meat-- causes a lot of trouble, too. I've been terrified to eat anything or even to nibble on something away from home for months. I had diarrhea after every meal with Cellcept but not to this extent. I have deeper compassion for people with Crohn's or Ulcerative colitis, or just plain lactose-intolerance. I always took it for granted that I could eat anything at any time and not have problems.

So far this morning the eggs I made with cheese and butter are doing perfectly fine. Yesterday I had plenty of dairy (oy!) without any troubles.

It's serendipity that my PCP happened to order fasting blood work. It's given me a lot to "chew on." Ahem. :wink1:

pberggren1
05-06-2011, 03:29 AM
That's weird you mention oats Sangye. I know a few people that cannot tolerate oats.

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 03:43 AM
i just ate two bags of chips for lunch. i think this may have something to do with my 20 pounds of extra fat. maybe.

Psyborg
05-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Starting to think I should start up a food diary again just to track when I feel ill or not :)

Sangye
05-06-2011, 04:04 AM
It's a great idea, Bob. Even my food diary couldn't figure this out, though. Skipping breakfast and then eating other grains during the day is what finally brought it to light. I'm so relieved (no pun intended!!) I can't tell you.

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 04:04 AM
im thirsty. thirsty and in a mood.

Sangye
05-06-2011, 04:05 AM
im thirsty. thirsty and in a mood.

You just spiked your Fire element with all that salt and oil! That makes you really irritable.

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 04:05 AM
It's a great idea, Bob. Even my food diary couldn't figure this out, though. Skipping breakfast and then eating other grains during the day is what finally brought it to light. I'm so relieved (no pun intended!!) I can't tell you.

better not be any oats in potato chips. not that it matters i can eat oats and not have to make a run for it.

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 04:06 AM
You just spiked your Fire element with all that salt and oil! That makes you really irritable.

but i was irritable before the fire and oil. I am also conducting a test. weight loss is a sign of a flare right. I am eating as much as possible to gain weight and keep the flare at bay. does not seem to be working.

i love chips.

Sangye
05-06-2011, 04:11 AM
In Ayurvedic medicine, if you're out of balance with your constitution you'll gravitate to foods that deepen the imbalance. So if your Fire element is already high (meaning you're already irritable) you'll crave more Firey foods.

I think your test is excellent and will probably save countless lives. :w00t:

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 04:20 AM
that is what i am going for. i really pigged out this week and when i woke up this morning i lost another 4 pounds.

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 04:22 AM
I am thirsty though.

pberggren1
05-06-2011, 05:03 AM
Wine is good for thirst.

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 05:11 AM
good idea.

pberggren1
05-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Or beer, vodka, whiskey, rye, drambui, congac, brandy, sctotch, etc.

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I am still thirsty.

I am never doing that again.