PDA

View Full Version : A Weighty Issue

freakyschizogirl
05-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Well today i saw my Chest Consultant.

He told me i CAN lose weight whilst still on Prednisolone(5mg) and that cutting out breakfast and carbs was his way of going about it.
Even though i've not lost any weight i havent put any significant on.

He gave me a 20 min lecture even though i agreed, yeah i could do with losing weight, but that i had only put on 5lbs since 6 months ago, thats pretty good! He disagreed and said that joining a weight loss programme by weight watchers or similar would help. I told him i was doing Zumba but had to give it up as when i dropped the pred i had no energy for it, he said i should carry on as being fit has its benefits.

He kept saying over and over again that i had his sympathies. I really cannot get across the relentlessness of his lecture. It got so bad i said enough is enough, everytime i see him he bangs on about my weight and that he had said my lung function was good and hadn't changed in 6 months was very encouraging. So i jumped in and said so why are you banging on about my weight, if my lungs are fine it has nothing to do with my weight, he said it did and then i got up and walked out. I've never walked out of a doctors appointment before, but i'm fed up of them always blaming things on my weight. I havent stopped crying since i walked out or since i got home.

Sangye
05-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Oh Sam, that is AWFUL. Shame on him for treating you so disrespectfully. I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself and for leaving. You deserve to be treated with compassion, kindness and respect.

He is also completely wrong about breakfast and carbs. What a foolish way to lose weight. Doesn't he know there are vital nutrients in carbs? Maybe he flunked biochemistry. And telling you to continue with an exercise program that is clearly too much for you....Grrrr. This man has no sense.

Let yourself have a good cry and then make a new plan based on your own goals and desires. Hugs to you, my friend. :hug2:

pberggren1
05-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Oh Sam, I am so sorry you had to go through this with your doc. This is obviously not a good Pulmy. Like Sangye said he must have flunked biochemistry. Even I know one should not skip breakfast and carbs. You will find the right exercise program on your own time when you are ready and fit. It takes time so don't put too much pressure on yourself.

NicShaf
05-04-2011, 12:50 AM
That is horrible, I'm sorry your doc was so rude. I think only putting on 5 lbs in 6 months while on Preds is pretty impressive...maybe your doc should go on Preds for 6 months and see how he does:). We all understand, i'm sorry to hear that your doctor doesn't have enough compassion to listen to you.
Glad to hear your lungs are doing good. I hope your week starts getting better.

Chris G
05-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Only 5 pounds in 6 months?!? Amazing! Consider yourself my hero!! And excuse my french, but screw him. Good for you for standing up for yourself. :thumbsup:

LilyPony
05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
What a jerk! I gained 80 lbs with my last pregnancy and was unable to lose the last 40 lbs or so. I tried several diets after no luck with simple calorie/fat counting and exercise. Weight Watchers did best for me and I lost all the pregnancy weight and got down to my high school weight and maintained it until recently (the pred). You've obviously got to be responsible for yourself and budget your eating for the day. It's like having a wad of cash in your pocket. You can either spend all your money on breakfast, or you can spend just a little all day and save the rest for a nicer dinner. There's a ton of things that you can eat that are very low value, even zero value. Their system helps you look at things and really decide if it's worth eating it. The big one for me was hot dogs. I LOVE hot dogs, nasty greasy messy hot dogs slathered in chili and cheese. So I could eat one like that, and pretty much nothing other than plain veggies all day. Or, I could eat 2 fat free hot dogs (which taste fine) on slices of whole wheat bread which used up less 1/6 of my daily budget. It's kind of an "eat this, not that" way of looking at it, where many other diets are "no no no". Weight Watchers is "yes yes yes... but are you SURE you really want to?". And it's not just for weight loss, it's a maintenance lifestyle.

And I also think 5 lbs is fantastic!

LisaMarie
05-04-2011, 04:39 AM
Well I have gained 36 pounds and am finally holding on 10 mg of pred till I go back to Mayo and because of fatigue and trach stenosis areobic exercise is not an option at this time...i use all my energy to go to work and cook dinner....so plump and sassy is where i will sit for now....my bronchs are inflammed so that also contributes to my shortness of air.....and we all must face it...we all come in different sizes and bone structure ...so love yourself and that doctor can go jump in a freezing lake:predrage:

freakyschizogirl
05-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Aww thank you guys so much, felt like i just had a massive hug and a few giggles. I've been down all day and very angry. And i knew you guys would agree with me this guy had no idea what he was talking about.

My sister said i was hostile but i said its only cos i knew he was talking rubbish and i'd heard enough doctors tell me to lose weight both before and after diagnosis. I have NEVER had any health related issues because of my weight. And yes i know it doesnt help but its not affecting me right this second. Concentrating on being well first. And getting off the cursed pred.

Thank you all so much for your messages, you've no idea how much they've lifted my mood. Love to ya all :thumbsup::hug1:

LisaMarie
05-04-2011, 05:24 AM
:hug3::hug3::hug3:we love you too:w00t:

Sangye
05-04-2011, 05:37 AM
I think your plan to get well and get off pred as your first priorities makes good sense.

No one can say how much pred interferes with your ability to lose weight. Everyone's metabolism and reaction to pred is so different. I'm at a mere 2.5mg and can't lose a pound, even after months of severe daily diarrhea. Literally as soon as I eat, it all comes out (sorry for the graphic, ahem). I should be thin as a rail with all this. Not only am I not losing weight, but I still have somewhat of a moon face and the fat above my collarbones. So this little dose of pred is acting like a much higher dose. Go figure. :glare:

freakyschizogirl
05-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Aww Sangye thats horrible. I hope you get your ahem sorted soon. lol.

Well i'm still at 5mg, waiting for Addenbrooks for the ok to dip again. See them at the end of the month, will be asking for a referral to a chest consult there too.

Sangye
05-04-2011, 05:52 AM
SO glad you're not going back to that fool. :thumbsup:

freakyschizogirl
05-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Not as glad as i am Sangye!!

Last quick question before bed, any reasons why a chest consultant would want a urine and blood tests done? Surely his job is to look at the lungs?

pberggren1
05-04-2011, 06:19 AM
My Pulmy wanted urine and blood done too before doing the bronchoscopy.

Tippon
05-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Wow, that doctor sounds like a dick! (excuse my French :tongue1: )

I've put on about two stone in around two weeks after my pred was bumped back up, which is a huge amount, but my doctors are not worried about it, as it's stayed at that level and my appetite is healthy. Five pounds in six months is something I wouldn't even notice going on!

I'm not medically trained in any way, but I've been told (as you probably have) that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as eating breakfast basically gives your body the signal that you're awake and starts your metabolism going for the day, which supposedly helps you to lose weight. I don't know how true that is, but it seems to make sense :)

delorisdoe
05-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Not as glad as i am Sangye!!

Last quick question before bed, any reasons why a chest consultant would want a urine and blood tests done? Surely his job is to look at the lungs?

my pulminologist is the most intelligent and thourough doctor I have ever been to in my life and he either checks that stuff himself or makes sure that my other doctor does. I actualy get heart palpatations when he is not on the requisition in the "send copies to" section as I know he will be the first one to notice any issues.

what blood test did he require.

vdub
05-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I gained 30 pounds (uh.... 2 stones) and don't give a rats.... Hang in there.... YeeeHaw!!!

pberggren1
05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I am up to 162 now. My normal weight before Wegs was about 150, so I should not really complain. It is the big gut I have that is more concerning to me. I joke with some people that with Wegs and pred I went from a six pack to a keg overnight. I did reach about 180 shortly after being dx. I ate like a team of horses.

Sangye
05-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I think in general men are not as stressed by the weight gain as women. You see men patting their beer bellies and laughing, totally uninhibited about it, while women are always trying to suck in their stomachs and cover up excess weight.

vdub
05-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Hmmmmm..... Don't know about that. My new physique was the hardest thing for me to deal with. Much more difficult than anything else associated with the disease. It still bothers me. One of the hardest things to do was go shopping for new pants and having to go up a size. I have kept some of my "pre-surgery" pants just in case, but I'm quickly coming to the realization it 'taint never going to happen.....

Sangye
05-06-2011, 02:47 AM
That's why I said "in general." :flapper:

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 03:08 AM
I gained 30 pounds (uh.... 2 stones) and don't give a rats.... Hang in there.... YeeeHaw!!!

im not taking sides but didn't you imply here that you dont care. lol.

Jules
05-06-2011, 03:12 AM
I've put on 18kg - doesn't matter how positive a spin I try and put on it . . . the novelty of telling myself "it doesn't matter, you're lucky you're here" has DEFINITELY worn off and this stupid weight issue is messing with my head! Doing the healthy eating bit, go to the gym 4 times a week (albeit just a walk on the treadmill at this stage!) and still nothing!! Cried for 2 hours solid the other night and often emotional at slightest remark - my husband suggested I was a bit depressed - never ever thought I would be this person!

Sangye
05-06-2011, 03:18 AM
(vdub, that's what I thought about your comment too!)

I hear you, Jules. The weight gain has been the most difficult "side effect" of all of this for me. I don't even recognize myself. I know if I could exercise I could budge it so it's really frustrating. It's also really hard to do things with all this fat-- bending, etc....

Are you still on pred?

pberggren1
05-06-2011, 03:22 AM
We are all just a bunch of fatties now. LOL:laugh:

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 03:48 AM
I lost weight end of last year and people are still saying to me "i see it first in your face". This re introduction to prednisone was difficult for me as that is also where you first see it...in my face.

vdub
05-06-2011, 03:54 AM
Yeap, I did! But I'm over it... Took a long time, tho.... it was hard....

freakyschizogirl
05-06-2011, 03:58 AM
what blood test did he require.
He's ordered fasting lipids, Creat & Electrolytes, LFT, Glucose, FBC and ESR.....Does that sound like he's checking for diabetes and cholestrol again??

I'd like to say he is a dick(pardon my french) but he did refer me to Addenbrooks when no one else would, so far he's been best doc...and now just ruined it all.:sad:

I forgot to take my meds this morning and only realised when i was on my bus to work, i've come home and i forgot yesterdays as well! Thats 2 days off Pred and Omeprazole....oops! Thats taking pred head to new lows for me!!

Jules i kinda feel like you, i didnt stop crying for hours, i was nearly hysterical. I've been playing with the idea of counselling for a while but i think now i definately need it. I'm not the person i used to be, i almost feel like i dont know who i am anymore :crying:

Sangye
05-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Yup, that's what he's ordered! I bet he's out to prove you wrong. You don't need to check cholesterol that often unless you have a problem.

Glucose is on any routine blood work, but if he highlighted it he's playing games with that, too.

I've had docs who were great for awhile and then things went bad. Time to move on...

delorisdoe
05-06-2011, 04:02 AM
ya, my lung doctor does not order that stuff. well most of it he does not.

freakyschizogirl
05-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Yup, that's what he's ordered! I bet he's out to prove you wrong. You don't need to check cholesterol that often unless you have a problem.

Glucose is on any routine blood work, but if he highlighted it he's playing games with that, too.

I knew it!! Blooming cheek! He's determined to make me lose weight, last time i saw him he had me paranoid about getting high cholesterol or diabetes...:glare:
Thing that makes me laughis he wrote this blood test out after i'd walked out the room!

Sangye
05-06-2011, 04:11 AM
LOL Coward!

Red
05-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Ha ha my last meal weighed 5 lbs i would tell that dr to go Beep him self and **** and **** lol I cant wait to get off pred i gained 50lbs in 6 mo. yes 50lbs my dr not concerned i am i am big framed lol was 6'2 245 lbs now 6'1 298lbs

vdub
05-07-2011, 01:30 AM
True story, if you will bear with me a bit... I'll try to make it short...

3 years ago (pre-WG days), I saw a VA doctor for the first time. He was a fun guy and I really liked him. He was maybe 5'4" and 120 lbs. I was 5'11"/210 lbs. Anyway, he is typing away at his computer and entering my answers to his questions. Without even looking up or at me he says "you're too fat". I think a second or two and then say, "nah, I'm just big-boned". Still without looking up he replies, "no, your bones are fine, you are too fat". HA!

Sooooo, 3 years roll by, I'm put on pred, gain 30 lbs and have a 2" file on me about the wegs. I go into the VA for my annual physical and get the same doctor. He reviews my file, then starts with the computer and the questions. Finally, he comes to the part about height and weight (I'm about 240 then). Again, he doesn't even look from the computer, but this time he says "we won't worry about your weight anymore". Sadly, he has now retired. I really liked him.

My current weight is about 235 which is down from a high of 250. I'd like to get down to about 225, but then I might have to buy new clothes.... :-)

Sangye
05-07-2011, 01:44 AM
LOL "Your bones are fine..."

Jules
05-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Yes Sangye, still on 15mg pred and ctx. They have also upped my blood pressure tabs and ace inhibitors today, so looking forward to even puffier legs and feet! At least if they ever do a re-make of Ghostbusters I could audition for the part of Mr Stay-Puffed. . . no padding required! Actually, that being the case, I could become that "someone famous" with WG! :cool1:

Sangye
05-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Jules, if you still need to be on ctx that means you still have serious disease activity. Strenuous exercise is too much for your body. You need your reserves to heal and for your body to cope with the toxicity of ctx. 15mg pred is still a lot of pred. It might be impossible for you to drop weight at that dose. I know none of this is what you want to hear but I'm worried that if you push yourself too much exercising to lose weight that you'll keep the Wegs active.

Having said that, doing some exercise is a good thing. Exercise at a low intensity. Go for time, not intensity. Stop long before you're tired. And for God's sake, don't think of marshmallows! :laugh:

Jules
05-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Too late. . . just lit the barby! Working on the basis that if a marshmallow turns almost to liquid form it cant be as bad for you. . and instead becomes a nutritional drink supplement before heading for the treadmill!?! :confused1:

Sangye
05-07-2011, 04:13 AM
LOL I meant don't think of marshmallows! Remember the movie? :w00t:

Lightwarrior
05-07-2011, 05:39 AM
LOL I meant don't think of marshmallows! Remember the movie? :w00t:

My 3 year old grand-daughter calls them "smash mellows" which is what she does with them before popping into her mouth.

CODavid
05-15-2011, 03:16 AM
I have weight issues too. Best advice is balanced diet, exercise that you can do and do it consistently and don't eat two hours before going to bed.

Hope that helps, now if I could only follow my own advice. :mellow:

Hammy8241
05-15-2011, 05:35 AM
I just spent three weeks eating things which had no legs or fins, controlled at 2000 calories, with 3 x 35 min exercise sessions a week. Total loss - a big fat zero!!!

Pred rules OK!

vdub
05-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I gave up. I have enough issues. Really, really bothered me at first. It was the hardest issue for me to get over. But now, I'm over it. What will be, will be....

freakyschizogirl
05-15-2011, 07:02 AM
lol Hammy thanks for the inspiring avatar!!

Sangye
05-15-2011, 08:18 AM
lol Hammy thanks for the inspiring avatar!!
ROTFL Priceless! http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

Sangye
05-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I came across a great website for keeping track of your caloric intake, nutrients and exercise. While I don't agree with everything on it (typical low-fat and low-saturated fat recommendations), you can easily customize your desired nutrition levels to create a diet with your own goals. They have even preset choices like "Mediterranean Diet" and "Zone diet" and many more.

It's very well done. I've been using it for a few days. I'm not interested in the community aspect, just in logging my own info. The graphs and tables are excellent.

Calorie Counter | Free Online Diet Program | Nutrition Data (http://caloriecount.about.com/)

pberggren1
05-15-2011, 09:21 AM
That is interesting Sangye. Thank you very much. But overall shouldn't one try to reduce or limit one's intake or red meat like beef and pork?

drz
05-15-2011, 09:21 AM
A year and 50 some pounds ago I had lost so much weight from the the WEGs and intubation treatment the doctors told me to eat as much as possible since i was suffering from serious malnourishment. I did and did eat several meals and snacks each day. I did gain back the 25 pounds I had lost plus another 25 pounds just in case i got ill again, right?, you know for insurance :razz:.

Now I miss those days and still want to eat the same way but don't want to have go out and buy another set of fat man clothes. I have generally been able to avoid gaining anymore but have had little luck in losing any significant amount of weight or size. I am happy that my face has returned to a somewhat more normal look as I have reduced my prednisone but I wonder if I will ever be able to ever wear any of my pre Wegs clothes again. But hope springs eternal so I will dream on....

pberggren1
05-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I so hear ya there drz! I would like to lose some weight but not very much, maybe 10 pouds at most, mostly in the gut area. I have some old pants and jeans that I have not worn in a few years that I would like to fit into again.

Sangye
05-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I get upset when I hear doctors tell patients on pred to eat as much as they want to regain weight. They are not telling the whole truth-- that pred makes you gain fat while it destroys your muscle mass. So unless one had very high body fat levels before, weight isn't actually being "regained." The new weight is harder to lose due to the metabolic changes that pred causes. Not equally hard for everyone, but most people have to work harder than they did before they went on pred. Also, there's no telling how Wegs will affect someone. It might cause prolonged inability to exercise or require repeated regimens of pred, so that initial "regain" of weight will become the base for much more weight.

That's been my problem. While I didn't lose weight pre-diagnosis (not enough to be alarmed about, anyway) I'm upset that none of my original docs told me what pred does. And now I'm stuck with those first 40lbs and 20 more since then.

Sangye
05-15-2011, 09:36 AM
That is interesting Sangye. Thank you very much. But overall shouldn't one try to reduce or limit one's intake or red meat like beef and pork?
Not necessarily. It's very individual and depends on your constitution.

pberggren1
05-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Thank you Sangye. We eat a fair amount of red meat around here and it does not seem to affect me one way or another. I had a couple of periods where I went off of red meat totally for about 4 months each time and noticed no difference in my symptoms or energy or anything else for that matter. I can honestly say that my weight does not bother me. I am 160 pounds and 5'10" tall. It is mostly my gut that I want to get rid of. I know that once I am at a lower dose of pred I can concentrate more on doing some light exercises now and then to get things moving again. I don't believe in doing extreme workouts for hours at a time and stuff like marathons. I think that stuff is just too hard on the body.

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Someone has suggested to me "The Zone" diet...anyone had any experience with this??

Hammy8241
05-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Someone has suggested to me "The Zone" diet...anyone had any experience with this??

Was looking for a picture of a dog staring at a cream cake (in the zone)but could not get past this picture. Its how i feel when someone mentions 'going on a diet'! Hope you can see it ok as i always have a problem posting pics.

Sangye
05-19-2011, 04:47 AM
LOL Hammy.....

Sam, Hammy's current avatar will give you a pretty good idea of what the Zone diet looks like. :laugh:

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 04:50 AM
lol is it weggie safe?? I can feel the calories morphing into me and i'm miles away from Hammy....

Hammy8241
05-19-2011, 04:57 AM
lol is it weggie safe?? I can feel the calories morphing into me and i'm miles away from Hammy....

But you are only a couple of hours away Sam - Lots of good transport cafes in Essex - With Geoff and Elieenv local to you, we can have a great fry up and discuss losing weight......in your dreams!!

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 05:00 AM
lol i might suggest a D tour to the Doc who told me putting on 5lbs in 6 months was unacceptable and that he knew lots of people on steroids who'd lost weight...Can we please educate this man?? I'd love to sit there tucking into a cafe fry up!!:w00t:

Hammy8241
05-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Hmmmmmm. Not sure if I'm helping you much Sam. I'd better change my avatar and then leave this thread to those who know what they are talking about.:thumbsup:

delorisdoe
05-19-2011, 05:12 AM
I dont know if you can lose weight on prednisone. I have never had a doctor suggest that I try either. He sounds sweet.

I lost 60 pounds last fall by eliminating potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. I ate fruit veggies, chicken, fish, and sometimes steak. I am not sure if it was a wegners safe diet but I found it pretty easy to stick to and I stopped missing those types of carbs after a while. oh, and i cheated when we went out to dinner.

delorisdoe
05-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Hmmmmmm. Not sure if I'm helping you much Sam. I'd better change my avatar and then leave this thread to those who know what they are talking about.:thumbsup:

lol

I brought my lunch to work today and i just took it out of the fridge to see what i have left.

1 yogurt
1 orange
20 bluberries
1 apple

guess i ate all of the good stuff.
lol

Hammy8241
05-19-2011, 06:06 AM
lol

I brought my lunch to work today and i just took it out of the fridge to see what i have left.

1 yogurt
1 orange
20 bluberries
1 apple

lol

A+ for effort:biggrin1: F for application!

NicShaf
05-19-2011, 06:48 AM
lol

1 yogurt
1 orange
20 bluberries
1 apple

lol

This cracked me up! We've all had those days, haven't we:) Thanks Preds, lol.

pberggren1
05-19-2011, 02:19 PM
I told my doc last week I want to start a cardio workout to lose my gut weight. He asked me how much I weigh and my height. I said 160 and 5'10". He laughed and said don't worry so much about the gut fat and worry more about what I eat. He said if it were him he would not be doning any cardio until at a low dose of pred like 5mg or lower or completely off of it. But he did say too I should be prepared that I may never get off pred entirely again.

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear that Phill...pred head as a way of life, lol.

I could never cut out Carbs i love em too much. Bread is my poison. At this very second i am tucking into my lunch at work, which is a low fat veggie soup, 2 slices of seeded bread, a small apple and a can of fizzy...i think i should cut down on my fizzy, lol.

What marks do i get Hammy??

vdub
05-19-2011, 10:28 PM
160 and 5'10
I wish! 5'11", 235 here. Should be 200 max....

Hammy8241
05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear that Phill...pred head as a way of life, lol.

I could never cut out Carbs i love em too much. Bread is my poison. At this very second i am tucking into my lunch at work, which is a low fat veggie soup, 2 slices of seeded bread, a small apple and a can of fizzy...i think i should cut down on my fizzy, lol.

What marks do i get Hammy??

Well Sam as you ask......... So long as you put the apple and soup in the bin and get a cheese burger to go inbetween the two slices of bread, I recon yo get 10 out of 10. ( This from a man who has just put a pepperoni pizza in the oven before sitting down.)

Do you think there's a job somewhere for me? Ask Hammy?

No......me neither:biggrin1:

freakyschizogirl
05-20-2011, 03:25 AM
You should be a Wegs agony aunt Hammy!! I would love a cheese burger...hmmmm. I did better tonight, i ate LOADS of biscuits!! Far more than is necessary, but they were a present from soemone i work for and they were yummy biscuits...:unsure:

Hammy8241
05-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Love the banter Sam (biscuits....drool:drool:!)but your orgiinal question was about the 'Zone diet'.

Still can't answer the question but I do know that the only way to lose weight (Other than having a baby or cutting an limb off!:rolleyes1:) is to expend more calories than you shove down one's throat!!

This leads me to my second point. Despite my wonderful advice on losing weight, I am NOT a millionare like wot those other people are who offer the many fad diets. !!!!!! Why pay?:mad1:

freakyschizogirl
05-20-2011, 03:56 AM
I agree why pay? And if i could afford a dietician, a chef and a personal trainer i wouldnt be in this mess! I need to own a swimming pool too! I love to swim but dont like wadling passsed all the other thinny swimmers.

Sangye
05-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Sam, a low-fat diet is a bad idea. Lower the bad fats like trans fats, but keep healthy fats. Replace white flour and sugary foods with veggies and fruit (more veggies than fruit) and bump up your protein. That's the way to get the pounds off. Ignore the thin people and go swimming if you love it. Why deprive yourself of something you love? :smile1:

freakyschizogirl
05-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Ignore the thin people and go swimming if you love it. Why deprive yourself of something you love? :smile1:

Cos my skin wobbles and theirs doesnt, lol!!

Hammy8241
05-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Cos my skin wobbles and theirs doesnt, lol!!

But you can make a better 'bomb' than they can Sam........................not helping am I?.............................bye!

Sangye
05-20-2011, 08:09 AM
ROTFL... Hammy exit stage right. :laugh:

delorisdoe
05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
So today I brought a tuna sandwich on 12 grain bread
1 orange
1 apple
1 yogurt
and i had some oatmeal and berries for breakfast.

my goal is to eat all of the fruit-unlike two days ago where it seems i ate all but the fruit.

It is the sunniest day I have ever seen in my life though so i will have to have steak tonight.

freakyshizogirl I eat bread now. Only whole wheat but i do eat it. I am still able to loose weight but unlike my bread and pasta free days it does not fall of overnight anymore.
set yourself a really small goal. I told my self I wanted to lose 4 pounds a month for the next year. That becomes 48 in a year and 5 pounds a month is not too hard. Prednisone does interfear with that but it is not compeletely out of the realm of possibilities. And if pop is fiz then yes exchange pop for water.

Hammy8241
05-20-2011, 11:16 PM
It is the sunniest day I have ever seen in my life though so i will have to have steak tonight.

Had to read this line twice as first time through I thought it said....."so I will have to streak tonight"

Hunger does the strangest things to one!!
"

delorisdoe
05-20-2011, 11:24 PM
ha ha. I have flashed somebody once but never streaked.

Sangye
05-21-2011, 01:13 AM
ROTFL Apparently Leigh is feeling very good about her weight these days since she's willing to run naked through the streets. :laugh:

delorisdoe
05-21-2011, 01:24 AM
ROTFL Apparently Leigh is feeling very good about her weight these days since she's willing to run naked through the streets. :laugh:

I have NEVER RUN NAKED THROUGH THE STREETS.

Red
05-21-2011, 01:27 AM
I have lol.

Sangye
05-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Well, this has turned into quite the "revealing" thread now, hasn't it? :ohmy::lol:

freakyschizogirl
05-21-2011, 02:05 AM
But you can make a better 'bomb' than they can Sam........................not helping am I?.............................bye!

Hammy not necessarily helping but i burst out laughing, and i'm told laughing burns calories. Lets laugh ourselves thin.

And yes a very revealing thread!! I've not streaked or flashed anybody, i've not lived!! LOL

Sangye
05-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Go out and live a little. :laugh:

freakyschizogirl
05-21-2011, 05:25 AM
ok, i'll just grab my jacket!

Jack
05-21-2011, 05:32 AM
I have experience of both sides of the fat v. thin issue and I felt much more relaxed about being overweight rather than the emaciated mess that I am now. You also get to enjoy food!

Tippon
05-21-2011, 06:18 AM
ok, i'll just grab my jacket!

I think you're missing the point of streaking! :flapper::flapper::flapper:

delorisdoe
05-21-2011, 08:30 AM
You can't just run out the door naked. You need the jacket so you can safely make it to a populated area and then rip it off. Amatuers.

freakyschizogirl
05-21-2011, 04:41 PM
You can't just run out the door naked. You need the jacket so you can safely make it to a populated area and then rip it off. Amatuers.

ROFL Delorisdoe!

freakyschizogirl
09-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Resurecting this threat cos its downright funny! I still havent streaked, what am i doing with my time?

Sangye
09-29-2012, 02:07 AM
That was hilarious!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

greenjanet
09-29-2012, 07:16 AM
hi, i have a weight problem also im just over 101kgs and my dr said to try and lose or not put any more on, i feel for you as i know how you feel. i bought a pedometer which tracks how many steps the most ive done per day is 5000 should be 10000 and i find i lose when i have a very SMALL dinner anyway
fitbit.com where i bought pedometer and scale which wifi talk to each other im on 7.5mg pred we could do it together, janet

RudiK
09-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Janet, weight gain is a problem for anyone on Preds. I have gained 20 lbs during the last 15 months, no matter how much I have tried to control my foot intake. I'm now at 200 lbs, 5'10" tall and 69 years old. Each of my docs have told me that weight control would be very difficult as long as I'm on Preds (5mg). So, I'm blaming it all on the medicine.

KathyB
09-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Join the club! I was doing fine for the entire first year on prednisone, but in the last few months the weight is starting to come on -- 15 lbs! Yuck! I'd love to blame it ALL on the meds, but I know better!!

KB :razz:

drz
09-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I lost 20 pounds before hospital admission and diagnosis and then lost another 10 pounds during initial hospital treatment so i was considered malnourished when I went to nursing home to convalesce and do rehab work. I was encouraged to eat a lot and had many pred induced snack attacks plus I often had to eat a lot of snacks to restore falling blood glucose levels. After three months there I had gained all of my lost weight back and was 25 plus pounds over my highest weight ever. I am still at that weight two years later even though I have got down to 5 mg of pred meds for past several months. I can't lose any of the extra weight and had to replace most of my clothes but am happy that I haven'[t gained any more. I was extremely thin before I was diagnosed with diabetes about 15 years ago and started on insulin so people thought I looked much better when I gained considerable weight from the insulin and other diabetic meds. But now i am considered mildly obese and would really love to lose about 30 pounds of fat. My doctors tell me the same thing as Rudy's and also say my blood glucose levels will also be very hard to control even with 5 mg of pred meds. My A1C levels have recently jumped two points to highest levels I have ever had too. The extra weight is also bad for my BG levels and diabetic problems. But I am still alive and walking around so its not all bad.

Pete
10-01-2012, 03:37 AM
I lost 20 pounds before hospital admission and diagnosis and then lost another 10 pounds during initial hospital treatment so i was considered malnourished when I went to nursing home to convalesce and do rehab work. I was encouraged to eat a lot and had many pred induced snack attacks plus I often had to eat a lot of snacks to restore falling blood glucose levels. After three months there I had gained all of my lost weight back and was 25 plus pounds over my highest weight ever. I am still at that weight two years later even though I have got down to 5 mg of pred meds for past several months. I can't lose any of the extra weight and had to replace most of my clothes but am happy that I haven'[t gained any more. I was extremely thin before I was diagnosed with diabetes about 15 years ago and started on insulin so people thought I looked much better when I gained considerable weight from the insulin and other diabetic meds. But now i am considered mildly obese and would really love to lose about 30 pounds of fat. My doctors tell me the same thing as Rudy's and also say my blood glucose levels will also be very hard to control even with 5 mg of pred meds. My A1C levels have recently jumped two points to highest levels I have ever had too. The extra weight is also bad for my BG levels and diabetic problems. But I am still alive and walking around so its not all bad.

On pred, my stomach never feels full. That's not a good thing for a guy who has been a "food is fuel" type for most of his life. I never had a weight problem and could eat whatever I wanted. Like you, I lost 25 lbs before dx and was also a bit malnourished. Once I got home from hospital, I couldn't get enough to eat. I regained the lost weight and about 10 lbs more within four months. The new weight is all belly fat. Docs have said it's possible to lose weight while on pred, but it's difficult to do so. Fortunately, I have no other health issues. Hope the weight comes off as I increase activity level and gain some will power regarding what I eat.

drz
10-01-2012, 04:29 AM
On pred, my stomach never feels full. That's not a good thing for a guy who has been a "food is fuel" type for most of his life. I never had a weight problem and could eat whatever I wanted. Like you, I lost 25 lbs before dx and was also a bit malnourished. Once I got home from hospital, I couldn't get enough to eat. I regained the lost weight and about 10 lbs more within four months. The new weight is all belly fat. Docs have said it's possible to lose weight while on pred, but it's difficult to do so. Fortunately, I have no other health issues. Hope the weight comes off as I increase activity level and gain some will power regarding what I eat.

I think the younger ones who are very active and in good shape have much better luck with controlling the weight gain from pred. Most of us don't seem that lucky but it has been done by a few so it is possible. Good luck for better health and healthier weight.

KathyB
10-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Ahhh, the belly weight. I'm not slim and never have been, but the ring around the tummy has gotten uncomfortably thick!! Yikes!!

KB

renidrag
10-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Even in remission my weight is still a problem. As I sit here and rest my foot on the exercycle, the only part of my body that has touched it in a year, I think I will try the twenty minutes a day and see what happens. Went to new PCP last Friday and had a good meeting. After a short physical he ordered all the bloods and INR et al. Then he asked me how long I had the hernia. I didn't know I had one, then went on to explain other symptoms and he poked a little and told me I had another one. So Friday night after the appt. he called and told me I had crossed the Diabetes line. Felt fine Friday morning and by Friday night I was low in inflammation (good) had two hernias and diabetes. What a day. Got to lose some weight.
Dale

Sangye
10-02-2012, 01:11 AM
D'oh! Dale, what a day! Weight loss should resolve the diabetes and might be enough to encourage the hernia to repair itself. I'm rooting for you! :biggrin1:

renidrag
10-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Merci beaucoup

Debbie C
10-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Gosh Dale,you did have a horrible day..how much overweight do they say u r ? And is that the main cause for diabetes..being overwieght?

renidrag
10-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Being overweight is causing the diabetes, I am six foot four and weigh 264 lbs. I spent most of my adult life at 205, topped out at 272 with prednisone (off pred now). Still on ssdi and will probably remain due to
WG/COPD/Neuropathy/IVF in vena cava/and now diabetes.
Dale

RudiK
10-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Wow, Dale, that was not a good day. Maybe being off of the Preds will help reduce the weight and then solve the diabetes issue, at least get the sugar count low enough to were you won't need to take any meds. Good luck.
Rudi K.

Sangye
10-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Dale, make sure you increase your protein intake and get plenty of raw protein. Nuts, seeds, meat cooked rare (when it's safe to do so), sushi, etc.... That really helps to stabilize blood sugar. And of course minimize the white stuff: white flour, white sugar, etc...

KathyB
10-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Wow, Dale! When it rains, it pours, eh? Sounds like weight loss may help the diabetes. How bad are your hernias?? Are they things you can live with or do they need repair? Hope it all gets better soon!!

KB

renidrag
10-10-2012, 06:03 AM
One seems to run down the middle of my belly, the doc says my gizzards won't fall out. The other is lower, feel like appendix area, this is the one they will fix. No hurry. You forget Sangye, my wife is Italian, manga, manga. She has changed to all wheat pasta, wheat flour, unbleached coffee filters etc. She really has been great. Thanks to all.
Dale