PDA

View Full Version : Quick drug question

freakyschizogirl
04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
I am now on 5mg of Prednisolone...do i still need to take 20mg of Omeprazole?

Sangye
04-28-2011, 12:56 AM
It depends on you. Some people need to, some don't. If it's okay with your doc, try weaning off it. Remember that you'll get "rebound" symptoms of increased heartburn as your own stomach acid starts working again. This can fool you into thinking you need the drug. A good way to taper might be skipping a dose or skipping a day. That has worked for me.

Lauren
04-28-2011, 01:04 AM
What is Omeprazole?

LisaMarie
04-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Prilosec...a stomach med to keep you from getting ulcers from our loving drugs...I take Nexuim and Zantac.

Lauren
04-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Ahhh.. Yes, they put me on Nexium each time I am hospitalized. But I haven't been on anything like that since I have been home. Should I maybe ask for a prescription?

pberggren1
04-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Ahhh.. Yes, they put me on Nexium each time I am hospitalized. But I haven't been on anything like that since I have been home. Should I maybe ask for a prescription?

Yes, if you are on pred, especially 20mg or higher, you should be taking something like Omeprazole to protect the stomach lining.

freakyschizogirl
04-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Ok thanks guys, will ask my experts at Adds when i am there at the end of May.

I've had sensations in my stomach the last week or so, thinking it's probably a stomach bug, but just thought i should rule out the Omeprazole.