PDA

View Full Version : support groups

Red
04-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Anybody no of face to face support in MINNESOTA ?

drz
04-23-2011, 11:25 AM

From the Vasculitis foundation website:

MINNESOTA
Duluth - Vickie Anderson, RN, 218-722-5128
Owatonna -Diane Rueb ([email protected])
Rochester Chapter - Vickey Roeder ([email protected])or Jeaneen Kolokythas ([email protected])

Kami
04-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I want to start one in Central Minnesota. This is my goal once my daughter leaves for college in September. I have to have something to work on when she leaves and I think this will be a great thing for me to take on! I think there is a great need for it!!!

drz
04-24-2011, 02:10 AM
I want to start one in Central Minnesota. This is my goal once my daughter leaves for college in September. I have to have something to work on when she leaves and I think this will be a great thing for me to take on! I think there is a great need for it!!!

The geographical center of Minnesota is Brainerd area but don't know if we have any members in that area. The population center of Minnesota is downtown St. Paul or Minneapolis and we had members from the that metro area and it seems strange that no Chapter currently exists there.

Hammy8241
04-24-2011, 08:49 PM
... that no Chapter currently exists there.

Chapter!!!! I thought that was related to "Hells Angels"?

I know we get 'Pred' rage but.............................:biggrin1:

Kami
11-12-2011, 05:49 AM
I have some wonderful news to share!! My daughter and I are starting a new chapter of the Vasculitis Foundation!
It's not offical until January of 2012 as they don't start any new chapters in November or December because of the holidays but I couldn't wait to share the news!! So far I think the name will be EAST CENTRAL MINNESOTA Chapter. I am very excited to get started and I have lots of ideas for our chapter. We will be located in Pine City and hopefully will draw from every direction around us. I believe that the other "active" chapters are from 2 to 2-1/2 hours from us. I am so excited but I hope I haven't bitten off too much! :)

Chris G
11-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Congrats! Good for you!:thumbsup:

Dryhill
11-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Congratulations, sounds like you intend to have some fun.

Sangye
11-12-2011, 12:04 PM
That's great, Kami. Thank you for thinking of others! :thumbsup:

Kami
11-13-2011, 02:20 AM
Congratulations, sounds like you intend to have some fun.

Yeah I want it to be causal and comfortable. I want to have guest speakers to talk on different subjects, maybe disect a different disease each meeting as Vasculitis covers 15 diseases and then of course personal sharing and treats as well! I want to have a picnic or bbq in the summer, I am thinking January we could have an "after the holidays" party and everyone could bring a white elephant gift of something that they received at Christmas that is not what they wanted and we could have a little funny gift exchange. We're just getting started but I want it to be fun. WG is not fun and everyone needs a little fun once in awhile and hopefully it will be easy for people to enjoy life a litle with other people that can relate to their situation. I have always said "Be safe, Be Silly!" Hee hee!

Kami
11-13-2011, 02:30 AM
That's great, Kami. Thank you for thinking of others! :thumbsup:

Thanks Sangye! It's also kind of selfish of me, I want to find people like me! Hee hee!

The main reason I want to do it is because when I was diagnosed they said something like "Congratulations, you have this incurable disease that will eventually kill you, now go home and rest." Everything I read on WG said "Find a support Group." I couldn't find anything. Everything I read was so scary it was horrible at first. I want to be there for people like I wish I would have had.

Then I found this website which was a life saver for me. I didn't become a member or post for a long time because I was just too ill but I would read. It took a very long time to get to where I am at and I am so thankful that I had this website to read and calm me everyday. Thank you everyone you truly are wonderful!! You don't realize how much you all did for me during those darkest days!! I don't know what else to say except THANKS!!!

Al
11-13-2011, 04:44 AM
WG is not fun and everyone needs a little fun once in awhile and hopefully it will be easy for people to enjoy life a litle with other people that can relate to their situation. I have always said "Be safe, Be Silly!" Hee hee! Perfect, Kami! As I keep saying, even a Sick Old Man deserves a little pleasure now and then. And, as I've also noted (and continue to believe), playful social contact is directly therapeutic. You go, girl!

Al

Kami
01-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Hi Red! We are starting one in Pine City. Our first meeting is February 25th at 2 pm. Let me know if you want to come and I will send you the information. We have a few people signed up already. I hope you can make it, it would be great to meet you.

kathy.parkerwhite
09-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Hey this sounds like fun getting together with others who can relate to all the WG issues and yet be able to forget about them for an evening or day of fun! I live on Mille Lacs Lake in the NE corner of the lake by Malmo, MN. I'm here 6 months till the end of Oct. then I go south for the winter time. But I would be glad to hold a get together at my lake place. We live in a resort so our home is a Mobil home but there's room to set up tents and tables behind our place for a big back yard picnic! We have a pontoon for giving boat rides, yard games, etc. Anyway, I never was able to find the time to get involved in support groups before while I was working but now that I'm retired it would be great to connect with others who face some of the same dilemma's that I do! Traveling around the state of MN to various WG gatherings would be very rewarding! I can be reached at my email address or on Facebook @ [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from other fellow WG patients. Kathy

kathy.parkerwhite
09-10-2014, 06:49 AM
I tried to send a reply to Kami to get info on joining the face to face support group for WG. My message didn't seem to go through. My email address is: [email protected]. Plz contact me with info on your next scheduled meeting. I would love to come and participate. I live by Malmo, MN on Mille Lacs Lake. Thx Kami, Kathy

kathy.parkerwhite
09-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Hi Red! We are starting one in Pine City. Our first meeting is February 25th at 2 pm. Let me know if you want to come and I will send you the information. We have a few people signed up already. I hope you can make it, it would be great to meet you.

Kami, can u contact me about when your face to face next support group WG meeting will be held? I live on Mille Lacs Lake by Malmo, MN. So Pine City would be in close proximity for me. My email address is: [email protected]. Thx Kami, Kathy

Red
09-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Meeting date is oct 4th at 1 pm pine county public library

kathy.parkerwhite
09-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Thank you Red I will sure try and make it there!