PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

dorro
01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Everyone

I have question about travel insurance. I live in the UK and my son moved to Canada, I hope to visit him in May and stay for 3 weeks. I was dx nearly 3 years ago and I am in clinical remission and fairly stable.

I have a quote on line from one insurace company listing vasculitis,high blood pressure and kidney damage in the pre existing medical conditions and it is for over £1000. Please tell me I can get this cheaper or is this the sum I will have to pay.

Thanks for your help

andrew
02-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Travel insurance can be an issue with any pre-existing condition. If the condition is under control you may have a chance of a lower premium. It varies so much from country to country though. One of our Canadian members was successful (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/135-ears-flying-vacations.html).

Best to contact the insurance company directly and discuss with them. In fact, contact several insurance companies and see what they have to say.

dorro
02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks Andrew

We have asked for a few quotes from different insurance companies and received very varying amounts. We have managed to get one about a third of our orginal quote, which covers me for vasculitis and all the complications it brings, so we are very pleased.

Thanks again
Dorro

andrew
02-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Great news! Now you can get down to planning the trip :)

Jack
02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I have not been able to get insurance at anything like a reasonable price, but the main problems I have encountered have been -

Not covered for problems resulting from an existing condition - that is about everything where Wegener's is involved!

Must declare full medical history - After over 20 years of ongoing problems, I could never account for everything.

Jack
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
For anyone in the UK looking for cover, I've just found this site that gives quotes on line - https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/

They want only £20 to cover me for all my pre existing conditions for 2 weeks in Europe!

Can anyone see a catch?

Edit - it's gone up to £65 now that I've added my transplant. Still sounds cheap though.

andrew
02-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Hmmmm. Very cheap. Have you had a good read of the policy booklet? The summary didn't seem too bad.