PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of ants?

pberggren1
04-22-2011, 07:06 AM
We have Ants burrowing in the concrete sidewalk and foundation along the south side of our house. They are also on the lawn as well. I am wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of these darn things. They are sneaking into the house as well. I liked winter better when there was less bugs to deal with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

delorisdoe
04-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Raid. Or an ant eater.

marta
04-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Hey Phil,

We had the same problem a couple of years ago. They came out from under our concrete (we bought the house from some 'old school' Italians who had the front lawn turned into a front conrete lawn - painted green) and into our house. There was this line of ants marching through the living room, it was a little unnerving. We got that ant poision, can't remember the name but just ask at the hardware store (Home Hardware is where we got it) - it's the one you just put a couple of drops down in their path, apparently it's quite yummy to them, they take it back to the nest and it kills them there including the queen. It worked like a charm. I felt guilty for killing off a whole colony of living creatures and - hey, maybe that's why I got WG, karma.... bugger.

pberggren1
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
I think I know the product you are talking about Marta. Is it a CIL product called Ant Out that comes in a little squeeze bottle?

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of trying boiling water or another product called Spider Ban that I already have some of. But I think I will go with your idea; it sounds promissing.

drz
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I read recently in those green publications that you can get rid of many ants by spreading corn meal around their hills or trails. they caarry it back to their dens and eat it but can't digest it. Of course it won't work with ants that eat fat or termites that eat wood. I also read somewhere the vinegar and bleach were toxins to ants that won't be as damaging to your lawn or the environment. google ants and you might find other suggestions. I have also used commercial ant traps to protect any pets in the area. The poison is inside but only the ants can reach it.

pberggren1
04-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks drz. I think I have heard of the cornmeal before. If Marta's suggestion does not work then I will try the cornmeal and maybe do some googling and send Marta a bunch of ants. LOL:lol:

NicShaf
04-23-2011, 12:45 AM
I've never tried it, but I've read that if you draw a line of chalk, ants won't cross it. Chalk is cheap, it's worth a try:)

delorisdoe
04-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Except after it rains...

vdub
04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Magnifying glass and a sunny day.... Little slow, but they won't be cured with even ctx and massive doses of pred..... :biggrin1:

pberggren1
04-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Magnifying glass and a sunny day.... Little slow, but they won't be cured with even ctx and massive doses of pred..... :biggrin1:

I knew you'd chime in with your wit!

Sangye
04-24-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't think that's funny at all. :sad:

drz
04-24-2011, 01:39 AM
I have heard some people like to eat ants if they are covered with chocolate. Maybe you can start a new business and pick up some extra spending cash. I bet vdub would order a package or two for Easter.

delorisdoe
04-24-2011, 01:40 AM

lmao...best answer yet. what was i thinking raid when i can just share what i already have around my house. are you sure about the prednisone though...i did get an extra 5 pills on thursday.

Hammy8241
04-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Hire or buy an Anteater!

pberggren1
04-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I believ I have conquered the ants. I flooded them out then it seemed as if they could swim and that infuriated me even further. So I found some old Spider Bad in the basement and put it in a spray bottly full strength and sprayed them down with it. A few hours later hundreds of ants were dead on the sidwalk. Mass genocide, ye ha!

vdub
04-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Phil's new avatar? Spidey the ant slayer?

http://www.wasem.com/wg/spidey.gif

freakyschizogirl
04-30-2011, 06:12 AM
I believ I have conquered the ants. I flooded them out then it seemed as if they could swim and that infuriated me even further. So I found some old Spider Bad in the basement and put it in a spray bottly full strength and sprayed them down with it. A few hours later hundreds of ants were dead on the sidwalk. Mass genocide, ye ha!

I was involve in an ant genocide as well, i feel no pity for those ants. We have an infestation at work and i noticed the tell-tale signs of sand on the paving slabs outside on the patio and lots of worker ants running around. I promptly boiled the kettle and burnt them alive.
Oops :ohmy::thumbdn:

Sangye
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
This thread is awful. All beings experience pain. :sad:

pberggren1
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I am the Terminator!

Deanne Hull
04-30-2011, 11:50 PM
I have tried baby powder that seem to work for a while and is not toxic

Jack
05-02-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm with Sangye on this. The lack of empathy being expressed has shocked me. :sad:
Unless they are getting into your food, why not just leave them alone? Even then, there are ways to safeguard your stuff.

pberggren1
05-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Ants should be killed if around the home. They are a pest.

vdub
05-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Got to go with Phil on this. Pests are pests.

Did you know that there are only a couple places in the entire world that don't have any Norwegian rats? I believe Norway prefers we call them brown rats. Only a very few places don't have brown rats. One of those places is Alberta, Canada. The reason is they waged war on the rats about 60 years ago and never gave up. Wouldn't it be nice to live in area with no Norwegian rats? Another place that doesn't have any brown rats is Rat Island, Alaska. I believe Ireland is still snakeless -- I hate snakes.

But anyway, pests are pests and if you let them get out of control, then they can consume your life and make it very uncomfortable.

But, to each their own. No point in us going to war over it. We probably have enough to worry about. :-)

pberggren1
05-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Actually Alberta still has rats but not very many. When we lived on the farm we had some rats and had them tested and came back for rabies. So we had to put out rat poison and traps and quarantine the dogs for 3 months. Poor pooches did not like that one bit. I also hate snakes as well. We had the odd snake at the farm but not very many thank goodness. We had pumas, bears, antelope, mule deer, white tail deer, elk, moose, fox, red wolf, grey wolf, coyote, badger, lynx, muskrat, sknunk, porcupine, gophers, mice, moles, shrews, many types of birds including bald and golden eagles, turkey vulture, whooping crane, sandhill crane, blue heron, great horned owl, burrowing owl, falcons, wood peckers, etc. I miss the farm but not the work and the aweful roads to contend with in the winter and when it rained.

vdub
05-02-2011, 06:32 AM
I grew up on a farm in north Idaho.... Seems like the cars were always dirty from the dirt roads....

pberggren1
05-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Northern Idaho is very beautiful. I know there is a big car show in Coeur d'Alene every year. I know some people from here that regularly go to it. Where abouts was your farm?

vdub
05-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Little town of Grangeville. I still own land there.

pberggren1
05-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Found it on the map. Nice area.

Alysia
01-19-2015, 02:37 AM
thats' a funny thread. my sweet Phil knew how to make a comedy from everything...
I miss him so much.... reading old threads of him. posts, chats.

as for ants, well, you can get rid of ants if you put baking soda around. in few hours all the ants are going away. not dead. neat.
here is a story:
after my beautiful Phil passed I went back with his parents to the batcave. they allowed me to take whatever I wanted. I took 3 books that he wanted me to read, his shirt, my letters to him, things like that. sentimental. I also took a box which I though was with Omega3. he used to buy lots of vitamins of all kinds. there left so many of them. still.
well, I took that box of supposed to be Omega3 and when I was in Israel I found that in it was baking soda. Phil used it to his nose's rinses. he had lots of baking soda as well. so I kept it. precious because it was of my sweetie.
about a month after he passed, I had terrible attack of ants in my office. it was on Friday. so, glad that I have Phil's baking soda, I took it to my office and poured it near the walls because that seemed to be the main "road" of the ants.
on Sunday morning, it was exactly a month since my sweetie passed, I went to my office. there were no ants. they were gone.
and on the floor in the corner I found a heart made of Phil's baking soda. I have no doubt that it is from him.
here is the picture of it. it is still in my office.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1601467_1586370358241775_4295118578433412778_n.jpg ?oh=2cfbc7bfcdf573c679200a2fa0757d84&oe=5521EA77&__gda__=1432793295_4692cfb991daa95d1cedba0f518530b d

mrtmeo
01-19-2015, 05:01 AM
That is soooooo cooool!!
He really is there with u all the time.