PDA

View Full Version : My cholesterol is up.....

Carol
01-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I had my cholesterol tested recently and found out today that it's 7. Have any other Weggies had problems with their levels and what did you do about it. I suspect it's alot to do with lack of exercise and putting on about 5 kgs, but I do love some of those naughty things such sour cream, cheese, butter etc which I think will have to be thing of the past. I would love some input from others if this has also happened to them.

Sangye
01-29-2009, 02:40 AM
The wholistic explanation for high cholesterol is completely different from the medical. When deciphering which one is correct, consider that the only way the medical diet sort of works is if you're on a drug.

High cholesterol is caused by a deficiency of good fat and protein, and by blood sugar imbalance. Excessive carbs, a low-fat diet and junk food are the culprits. Exercise also helps lower cholesterol. The classic French diet (loaded with dairy and fat) doesn't cause high cholesterol. The French and other historically low-cholesterol cultures are seeing a rise in cholesterol, thanks to 2 American exports : Coke and McDonald's. It's a slippery slope into Pizza Hut and Dunkin' Donuts. :eek:

Why do so many Weggies get high cholesterol? Pred makes our blood sugar go crazy. It also makes us eat our way right through the McDonald's menu. When your blood sugar is imbalanced, you crave more carbs. And we're sick, so exercise is out.

You can still have your sour cream if you dip a carrot in it instead of a potato chip! :D

andrew
02-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Same here. My Cholestorol is high even though I'm taking meds for it. Exercise is doing me good though and you've reminded me to get it tested again :) Agree with Sangye about becoming a food vacuum when on Pred which causes issues. It aint easy. I always got weird looks when I'd say "one of eveything please" to the girl behind the McDonalds counter :D

Exercise and clean eating seems to be doing me good....at least I hope it is. Will find out after my next test.