PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd pop in and say hi

andrew
04-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi peeps!
I haven't been around much (again) as have been frantically busy with work and my ongoing/dragging divorce settlement which I'm hoping to have done some time in the next 15 years :drool: Don't get me wrong though, I have been having a bit of fun too :flapper: Here's an update on me:

I've been keeping up my appointments with the doctor largely because his Assistant rings me three days prior and reminds me to get my blood tests and then on the morning to remind me to come in hahaha.

My BP has been way too high (last measurement 176/86). In response I have stopped drinking coffee (day at a time, Andrew. day at a time...take it easy lol), stated (mostly) eating right and may even take the step of getting regular exercise. I don't want to bit off more than I can chew though so I'm going to think about it over my Double-large Big Mac meal :cool1:

My last ANCA results haven't come through yet but they are expected to be a tad elevated. My Creatinine is up in the 140's (normal=under 110) from 110. Uric acid level is in the 600's where I think normal is under 300 and I have the gout to go with it.

In response, the doc is considering putting me on two or three Rituximab infusions as a 'sledgehammer' approach to try and force the WG into submission. I have no issues with that as it will probably mean a couple of days off work :thumbsup: It will also mean I can take Allopurinol which will inhibit the Uric Acid and therefore save my feet from the gout and my kidneys from exploding.

What else? Oh, I went to see Iron Maiden in Sydney some weeks ago which was awesome. Then went north for a week to see some friends I haven't seen in a long, long time. First holiday I've had where I had no schedule and could do pretty much whatever I like. True freedom. Must do it again some time.

Oh! Best news of all, now I have some time there are some fixes and upgrades that I'm going to do here. The site is loooong overdue for some updates which will probably happen over Easter. This will mean essentially nothing to most and will not cause any change to the way you use the site. Everything will look the same except you should see some font sizes increase when, for example, you start a new thread like I am now....yikes it's small!

So, I'd like to say I'll be participating in discussions more but every time I say that I get dragged away again :rolleyes1: So I won't say that :mellow:

Wishing everyone good health!

drz
04-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the update. Best wishes on medical treatment and better health!:smile1:

Sangye
04-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I miss you SO much, Andrew! Glad you had some fun on vacation.

elephant
04-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks Andrew, take it one day at a time. You will get there. Good luck with everything!

vdub
04-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks a lot! And, thanks for the site!

pberggren1
04-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Good to hear from you Boss!

Hope you can get the BP under control and no more coffee, caffein, and eating right and exercise.

You may need a beta blocker or an ACE inhibitor to lower your BP in the meantime, but if it is due to caffein then stopping that should lower your BP fairly quickly.

jeniban
04-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your flare.I have not heard rituximab used much in australia. Dr said, that is my next treatment option. As it is not approved for use in Australia for WG, he said i will need to pay for this myself At the moment things are going well;-D

DEE
04-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Good to hear from you Andrew ,glad things going well :thumbsup:

andrew
04-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks peeps :)

Sorry to hear about your flare.I have not heard rituximab used much in australia. Dr said, that is my next treatment option. As it is not approved for use in Australia for WG, he said i will need to pay for this myself At the moment things are going well;-D

I'll let you know what my doc is doing when I find out. According to him I'm not paying for it so there must be some way so get it approved. Glad things are going well for you!

RCOSSIO
04-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Go figure...Gout and Wegeners, do you think you could not have two of the most weird names to tag a long.

Psyborg
04-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Good to hear from you Andrew. I hope you are able to get the wegs under wraps (and the gout :))

andrew
04-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Go figure...Gout and Wegeners, do you think you could not have two of the most weird names to tag a long.

True but I get more of a knowing nod from people when I say 'gout' as opposed to when I say 'Wegener's Granulomatosis' :)

marta
04-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Welcome back buddy.
Take care of yourself and keep us posted.
Also keep having fun and I hope all the yucky things going on un-yuckify themselves in no time.

Sangye
04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I hope all the yucky things going on un-yuckify themselves in no time.
Marta, you gotta put things in layman's terms. No fair using technical jargon. :flapper:

Palmyra
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Descriptive/technical jargon and terms....(I think this may be a new thread)

"suck-a-dootle" = head 'way under covers, and no way I am coming back up', 'Yes, I look great, but feel like doo-doo'; Ouch!!! Oh, not again..., why do they have to wake me up in the middle of the night for this....and many more?

Glad to hear from the big Kahuna...I hope all is better day by day.

chrisTIn@
04-19-2011, 03:18 AM
I didn't know what 'gout' is, so I googled it.
And now I know... my hubby has that too,
but it comes and goes, kind of 'flares' too.
When he takes the right medication, it soon is under control...

It was nice to see you hop by, Andrew.
Hope everything goes well for you. :smile1:

Brooke
04-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the update Andrew!