PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone Side-Effects

Daggar
04-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Holly's having a hard time dealing with the "stretch marks" caused by Prednisone and the weight gain.

The marks are significant even though she has only gained 20-25 pounds and is now within the upper range of normal for her height.

Is there anything that can be done for them other than continuing to use Vitamin E oils/creams and do they change in colour in time?? They look painful but she says they're not.

delorisdoe
04-14-2011, 03:02 AM
rest assured...they are not nor will they ever be physicaly painful. the chances of them dissapearing are low-her age may help. they will fade though and become the sam colour as her skin.

Sangye
04-14-2011, 04:09 AM
They're not painful though they often itch like crazy when forming. They won't stay red but they will remain visible like any scar-- slightly more pale than her skin. I got stretch marks during adolescence as part of a big growth spurt. I wasn't overweight and it really upset me. I was always self-conscious about them. I'm sad that Holly is having to deal with that on top of everything else. :sad:

NicShaf
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't know of anything besides the creams and vitamin E; but I've used both before with success, and given Holly's age, I bet they will work for her. Unfortunately, it just takes a little time, as most scars do. I swear by an ointment called Mederma, it is for scars, and works well on stretch marks.
Mederma is also great for acne scars if anyone is suffering from that side effect also.

JanW
04-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Like Sangye I got mine during adolescence and they never faded. Got more when I was pregnant with my second.

freakyschizogirl
04-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I've had mine as long as i can remember...infact i cant remember not having stretch marks!

They arnt painful and do fade into a pink silky sort of colour. In the UK we have something called Bio-oil which is meant to be good for them and scars.

I've also got a friend who is a mum to 5 kisd, she has stretch marks on her stretch marks!

malin
04-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I've had mine as long as i can remember...infact i cant remember not having stretch marks!

Same here!

I use a cream called Palmers Cocoa Body Butter, it's helped some of my stretch marks but you do have to use it regulary for it to have any effect. There is also a more concentrated formula of the same cream, specifically made for stretch marks.

WeggieParent
04-16-2011, 02:27 AM
My daughter has 4 huge stretch marks across her back from her high doses of prednisone. They are about 6 inches long each and an inch wide and started out dark red. They look like huge claw marks on her back. It's been a year now and they've faded greatly to a very light pink that blends with her skin. They still look like scars but aren't as visible. She hasn't put any creams or ointments on them and they don't hurt her.

Daggar
04-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Thanks everyone... I guess it is inevitable even with moderate weight gain.

Another wonderful effect of prednisone -:glare: loss of skin elasticity causing stretch marks!!

delorisdoe
04-16-2011, 03:01 AM
is she fair skinned...that really does not help. :(

Daggar
04-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Yes she is fair...

I was just thinking the other day that having WG at an early age is like being forced to take an expedited/crash course in adulthood with all the changes in appearance/lifestyle/mortality/etc. Trying to relate to other kids the same age must be a challenge at times...

Leigh ... make sure you get to the Pharmacy... I believe one of the stipulations of taking Bactrim is you have to be present at the time!!:biggrin1::wink1:

delorisdoe
04-16-2011, 07:13 AM
i did go fill my prescription after my bout with pneumonia and have refilled it 3 times since. I am very proud of myself. I have shall we say issues with medication. when I am told to go back on prednisone it takes me a few days to force myself to take the first dose. I had quite a rough go of it the first time around. I cant imagine figuring out what she has at her age. I was only worried about boys and marks and music at that age.

leigh