PDA

View Full Version : Journal

vdub
04-09-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't know if this would be valuable to anyone or not.....

I've always wanted to keep a journal of how I feel on a daily basis. I started one in a journal book, but that was totally unworkable. So then, I started one using Word. Still not good. Forgot half the time to make an entry.

I think I've broken the code, tho. I use Outlook for e-mail and I open my mail every day without fail. Usually multi times throughtout the day. So I put in a recurring entry in the calendar. When the reminder pops up (at 1800 hrs), I open that instance of the entry and put a short blurb in the notes part and then save it.

Working pretty well.....

Sangye
04-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I keep mine in a Word document. Every morning I get up and make an entry before eating breakfast, then check email, etc.... It's a routine now. In the evening I make another quick note or wait until the next morning to do it. It's been a huge help for me in many ways.

NicShaf
04-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Putting a reminder in your outlook is a good idea. I actually write mine in a datebook and transfer it to excel once a month...before I forget what my chicken scratch says:)

Chris G
04-10-2011, 02:26 AM
My method is very precise & scientific. I have post-it notes plastered all over my planner. :glare: Some day I even hope to organize them. It's just one more task I don't have the energy to do.

Sangye
04-10-2011, 09:50 AM
ChrisG, maybe just forget about organizing the past ones-- start a simple Word table and fill it in each day. It takes 1 min in the morning and 1 min in the evening. Even on my worst days I can manage it. The days and weeks and months quickly slip by. You'll really benefit from having this as time goes by. I didn't start it until a year ago (nearly 4 yrs into this adventure). I SO wish I had the notes from before it.

Psyborg
04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty awful in the journal thing. I know I should, but it reminds me too much of documentation at work. The lazy side beats the proactive side regularly :)

pberggren1
04-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I started a Journal in the beginning but dropped it pretty quick and restarted a couple of times when I flared but the last couple of years I have not done it at all.

delorisdoe
04-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I supose it could be quite beniicial. Besides a few mini flare ups over the years I have been mostly symptom free for the last 7 years. Now that I seem to be no longer in remission I am unable to draw on my own past experinces to figure out what is going on now. All I remeber now is pain and blood. Well and of course bald head and fat face. Good times good times.

NicShaf
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
It's amazing how much you can forget about your symptoms, probably our unconscious way of coping. I have found the journal immensely helpful.

Chris, maybe just get a big calendar on your wall and stick your post-its there...then you don't have to abandon your current journaling method:)

Chris G
04-12-2011, 02:14 AM
I think I've found a method similar to what vdub suggested. I'll give it a try when I have some free time and a burst of energy. LOL

I really have forgotten many of my early symptoms. Fortunately, before diagnosis, I had made a really thorough list of all symptoms past and present.

Now I'm also having bad drug side effects, which I need to keep track of too. Gotta get it in gear and do it!

Brooke
04-12-2011, 02:15 AM
I also keep a word document

Sangye
04-12-2011, 02:27 AM
One of the things I've learned from keeping a daily journal is how many of my symptoms basically stay the same and do not correlate with Wegs activity. Some of them used to freak me out. I'd tell Dr Seo about them each time and he'd say things like "It looks the same as last time." I interpreted that as "I don't care" when it really meant "It's stable and not a problem."

An example of one of these symptoms is that my shins get bright red and hot. I used to keep track of this every day. After noticing that it didn't change over the course of months (during both remission and active disease) I don't make a note of it anymore. I just have periodic bright red, hot shins and that is that. :laugh:

Chris G
04-12-2011, 02:34 AM
How are you feeling Brooke?

Brooke
04-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Feeling good, thank you! Mild headaches off and on but other than that, been doing great, working out and all!

chrisTIn@
04-12-2011, 07:43 AM
The lazy side beats the proactive side regularly :)

That's my problem too. LOL. :wink1::biggrin1: