PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sick while on Cytoxan

NicShaf
04-09-2011, 01:31 AM
I've been on Cytoxan since the beginning of the year, and I'm coming down with my first cold.
The cold is causing a cough and chest congestion so far. What can I expect? I'm a little scared about getting sick and not being able to fight it off.
I emailed my Rheumy this morning for advice, but wanted to see what others here have experienced.
Thanks,
Nicole

renidrag
04-09-2011, 01:44 AM
When I was on cytoxin I was also on Bactrim, an antibiotic for this reason I assume. Was lucky enough not to get sick though. Keep those fluids flowing. Your running time of ctx should be close to ending also, nothing you want to stay on too long. What is the dosage?
Dale

delorisdoe
04-09-2011, 02:07 AM
I have no bad memories of being extra sick for a cold while on cytoxan and i was on cytoxan forever. I work with the public and got colds all of the time. I am pretty sure bactrim does not stop one from getting a cold. It is the lung diseases that are worrisome

NicShaf
04-09-2011, 04:23 AM
I'm on Bactrim also, but this is mostly to prevent pneumonia I was told. I am on 150mg daily of Cytoxan, I was told that they might be taking me off it in June and moving me to Methotextrate, but my Rheumy isn't making any promises, I can only hope:)
That's good to hear that you didn't get extra sick while on Cytoxan, that makes me feel a little better. The fact that I have chest congestion still scares me a little though.

elsawind
04-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Are you taking something to prevent PCP?

delorisdoe
04-09-2011, 04:58 AM
the bactrim right???

delorisdoe
04-09-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm on Bactrim also, but this is mostly to prevent pneumonia I was told. I am on 150mg daily of Cytoxan, I was told that they might be taking me off it in June and moving me to Methotextrate, but my Rheumy isn't making any promises, I can only hope:)
That's good to hear that you didn't get extra sick while on Cytoxan, that makes me feel a little better. The fact that I have chest congestion still scares me a little though.

for aproximately 9 years after my initial bout of pnuemonia or maybe it was undiagnosed wg, every chest cold I had i felt as though the wg was back. I have a few other lung issues so it is hard for me. Id say after about 9 years that fear went away and then within half a year of that i got pneumonia again. It is so different than even a good hearty chest cold. so hard to figure out with all of these other issues.

NicShaf
04-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Are you taking something to prevent PCP?

I think the bactrim is to prevent PCP.

elsawind
04-09-2011, 05:51 AM
yes you are right, if you are not alergic to sulfa.

Jules
04-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Nicole

Ive been on ctx since the beginning of Jan and have just got over my first cough/cold . . . courtesy of my two boys! It started as a cold, but quickly turned into a cough and chest infection. As my lymphocite count was very low, due to the ctx, I was taken off ctx for a week and given antibiotics. Seems to have done the trick! Fingers crossed for a speedy recover for you. Jules x