PDA

View Full Version : Gadgets and other aids.

Jack
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
What gadgets, aids or special adaptations do you have to help you through the day?

Perhaps the most effective thing I have is a fold down seat in the shower. This makes the whole process so much more enjoyable and of course it is much safer too. I also have a grab rail next to both doors because they both have a step and this helps a lot too. Other than those two things, I get by with my wheel chair and crutches and the help of my family.

malin
04-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I've got my hearing aids, couldn't be without em!

Other small little gadgets I've picked up here n there to help me out with various day-to-day problems are:
(load of electric gadgets! lol)

Electric blanket - Sooooo good!
Electric one touch jar opener + tin/can operner - Very useful for days when my joints are bad.
Facial steam sauna - for when my sinuses are blocked/dry/painful - Also works wonders for your skin! LOL!
USB powered heated gloves - Sounds silly but a must for me during winter when I'm working at the pc, keeps my fingers warm n jointpain-free :p

That's all the little but incredibly helpful things I have that I can think of right now :)

freakyschizogirl
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Electric one touch jar opener + tin/can operner - Very useful for days when my joints are bad.

We have those for our mum and i didnt really realise how used to them i was til i started my new job and had to start using manual tin openers and couldnt figure out how to work them! Suffice to say i was duly ridiculed for it!

Sangye
04-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I have a toilet seat riser that I've used since I first got sick. I'd be in trouble without it, due to weakness and joint pain. I use a cane if I have a particular pain, but it's pretty rare now. I use a walker even more rarely, but it came in very handy last year when I had the severe vertigo. If grocery stores didn't have the electric carts I'd be unable to do my own shopping.

I've considered getting a walker with a seat. I can't go many places because I can't walk far. Walking from bench to bench is too much. I would love to go see the monuments in DC but there's no way I can walk it. I plan to ask my new PCP for advice about this in a couple weeks.

One thing that isn't a gadget but is important for me is that I have no steps at my home. None to get in, and none inside. Steps wear me out quickly, and I couldn't begin to do full stairs on a daily basis.

Hammy8241
04-08-2011, 12:49 AM
One I'd like is a 'time lock' on the food cupboards otherwise the only gadget I use is the TV Zapper:thumbup:

DEE
04-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Something has got to keep you away from the Jellybabies :flapper: although i have gained a craze for CRUNCHIES dont know why ?

pberggren1
04-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Let's see now. I have the Waterpik, Nebulizer, Squeeze bottle for irrigating when travelling, IV pump, hearing aides, amplifier for phone, closed captioning on TV, electric tooth brush, etc.

delorisdoe
04-08-2011, 03:38 AM
I have an ereader/tablet that alows me to come here without anyone in my family catching on. that is all.

delorisdoe
04-08-2011, 03:39 AM
oh and i do have an electic toothbrush as well but that is because my really nice dentist recomends them to all her patients.

drz
04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
I've got my hearing aids, couldn't be without em!

Other small little gadgets I've picked up here n there to help me out with various day-to-day problems are:
(load of electric gadgets! lol)

Electric blanket - Sooooo good!
Facial steam sauna - for when my sinuses are blocked/dry/painful - Also works wonders for your skin! LOL!
USB powered heated gloves - Sounds silly but a must for me during winter when I'm working at the pc, keeps my fingers warm n jointpain-free :p

That's all the little but incredibly helpful things I have that I can think of right now :)

USB heated gloves. I never heard of such thing but they sound like unique idea. I have a warm mist humidifier that must work the same as the facial sauna and it is great for sinus problems.

I only have 10% hearing in one ear now and without my hearing aid I am deaf. The up side of being deaf is noise doesn't bother me when i try sleep.
I also use the closed captioning on the TV.

NicShaf
04-08-2011, 06:15 AM
I don't know if this counts as an aid, but I carry around one of those plastic cups with a straw and lid that looks like a "to-go" cup. It makes me drink all the water I have to drink in a day, I take it everywhere with me.

Jack
04-08-2011, 06:54 AM
The heated gloves sound like a great idea that I would have been glad to have when I worked in a cold office.

A couple of other things that I have are a memory foam seat cushion and also a mattress topper to relieve the pressure points where my bones stick out! Not something I have heard many on here complaining about! :wink1:

Hal
04-08-2011, 07:41 AM
This is an interesting topic. USB Gloves ... gotta scope those out.

Here are the gadgets and aids I use:

1) A stool in the shower. With my damaged nerves, it is too treacherous not being able to feel the slippery shower floor.

2) A cordless phone is always close by. I simply cannot move fast enough these days to pick up the landline before the message manager kicks in.

3) My laptop. I had to buy one when I got sick, as I could not sit at my desktop computer for more than a new minutes at a time, due to the leg/feet swelling and nerve pain.

Looking forward to other replies!

Hal.

vdub
04-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Hearing aides, but I doubt the issue was caused by WG. TV headphones (indispensible). Bi-PAP -- probably WG related. Vibrating alarm watch, which is probably the most useful item I have. Without it, I would never get my drugs on time....

Sangye
04-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Hey drz, your inbox is full. I couldn't reply to your PM. :wink1:

pberggren1
04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
drz, how is your other ear? Do you have tinnitus?

me2
04-09-2011, 12:53 AM
My house is often on the coolish side so to sit at the computer I have a heat pad on the floor to keep the footsies warm. MMmmmmm warm feet.
It may not qualify as WG related but I like my wireless keyboard and mouse.