PDA

View Full Version : At Mayo-Throat Surgery in the Morning!

jtausan
04-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Hello All,
I am back at Mayo and scheduled to have surgery tomorrow on my throat. I am so excited, but nervous to be having the surgery done. I have read all the posts on this site about Treacheal Stenosis Surgery. (thanks) I know the care here at Mayo is excellent but always worry about being put under. I have had several surgeries but never on my throat. The thought of breathing normal is so worth all the worriness tho. I know it will be life changing!! I will keep everyone posted and describe how the surgery goes etc. This site is so amazing, thanks for all the great info everyone! Jodi :tongue1:

vdub
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

Sangye
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Best of luck, Jodi. Glad you're getting it done at Mayo. :thumbsup:

DEE
04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Good luck jodi dee x

JanW
04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Good luck -- you will be amazed at the difference! And I speak from experience.

Brooke
04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Good luck!!!!

julia
04-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Best of Luck!

Chris G
04-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Good luck Jodi!!

Psyborg
04-07-2011, 02:21 AM
Good luck, I'm getting my surgery at the end of the month...so I'm right behind you :)

ArlaMo
04-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Good luck!!

sadpixie
04-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Good luck!

drz
04-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Best wishes for successful operations to both of you!

Palmyra
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Dear Jodi,

You may be reading this after your surgery (submitting a bit late,) but our experience with Mayo and surgery has been fantastic....such nurturing care, and a feeling of complete competence on behalf of the docs and supportive staff there. Being away from your home town is tough no matter where you are, especially in the first few days of recovery, but you are at a wonderful facility.

Try to take a walk outside and look at all the gardens around the hospital that are ready to pound into spring if you are able. There are a few decent restaurants in the area. If the weather is unfavorable, take a tour of the art in Mayo itself. It is a grand hospital, built on a very solid principle of collaborative medicine, with a solid art collection benefacted by generous patrons of the hospital. You are in great hands....

Best Wishes and keep us posted

LisaMarie
04-07-2011, 10:09 PM
best of luck Jodi...Keep us posted...i had my repair done at KU in kansas city,ks...as my doc said it was a cake walk...but i was nervous just the same....Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers today
you will be amazed at how good you feel
:w00t:

jtausan
04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Hello All,
I am back home from Mayo! The surgery went really well. I can breath so much better. Yay!

Thank you all for all the good luck wishes.
It turned out to be a really long surgery day, we reported to hospital at 11am, I didnt go into surgery until 3 pm and went home that night at 9pm. I always have a hard time waking up from the anesthetic. Mayo staff is excellent, they really take good care of you.
Post op-my throat is sore and so is my face. They really pull your head back during surgery to get to your throat, so my chin and next are sore too. Nothing bad tho, I was taking liquid advil but I haven't even taken that for about 24 hours now. I am not suppose to talk much, especially no whispering or yelling. I can tell my lungs need strengthening, they are not use to getting some much air in. I am going to start walking to help with that.
If anyone has questions etc about surgery, I would be happy to fill you in.
:biggrin1: Jodi

Brooke
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Very happy for you Jodi!!! What medicines do they have you on? Are you on prednisone? Just curious.

Jack
04-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Great to hear that it has all gone so well and with nothing too unexpected. :thumbsup:

Sangye
04-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Yay!! :thumbsup:

jtausan
04-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Brooke-I am on prednisone still, 10 mg and Methatrexate. Dr. Kasperbauer also put me on Keflex. I go back in 6-8 weeks for recheck and I will see Dr. Specks at that time too. He will decide then if he wants to change my meds. Methatrexate is not really working.
Jodi

Brooke
04-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Well that is great the surgery went well and you are feeling better and you have been to Mayo and you have a plan!!! Yay!! Have a great weekend!

elsawind
04-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Best of luck!!

Psyborg
04-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Hello All,
I am back home from Mayo! The surgery went really well. I can breath so much better. Yay!

Thank you all for all the good luck wishes.
It turned out to be a really long surgery day, we reported to hospital at 11am, I didnt go into surgery until 3 pm and went home that night at 9pm. I always have a hard time waking up from the anesthetic. Mayo staff is excellent, they really take good care of you.
Post op-my throat is sore and so is my face. They really pull your head back during surgery to get to your throat, so my chin and next are sore too. Nothing bad tho, I was taking liquid advil but I haven't even taken that for about 24 hours now. I am not suppose to talk much, especially no whispering or yelling. I can tell my lungs need strengthening, they are not use to getting some much air in. I am going to start walking to help with that.
If anyone has questions etc about surgery, I would be happy to fill you in.
:biggrin1: Jodi

I'm glad things went well for you, and really relieved to hear it wasn't so bad. I'm starting to get nervous about the procedure now myself :) 4/27 for me, had my history at the CC yesterday as well and that was a long slow day :) Weird part is they won't tell me until the day before what time the surgery occurs.

pberggren1
04-10-2011, 09:02 AM
That is weird that the surgery time will not be given to you until the day before.:wink1:

Psyborg
04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Evidently they arrange the sugeries so that similar surgeries happen in sequence to help with not having to constantly move equipment.

pberggren1
04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
That makes sense.

ticklytoes
05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
jan...what kind of surgery did you have and where? i have a trach and dilations havent worked...is this a dilation surgery? nicole

ticklytoes
05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
sorry! i meant to put "Jodi" lol

pberggren1
05-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I think you meant JanW? Her doc is Dr. Lebovics in NY.

kulharv
05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
good luch
l

JanW
05-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I had the surgery where Dr. L. cuts into the tissue with microscissors -- he dilates with a balloon also, but first he makes the cut so that the tissue springs back (think cutting into a rubber band). Dilations won't really work for most people most of the time...the hole will continue to narrow. I have so far been more successful than anticipated with the surgery -- I have already had a one year anniversary and have not needed additional surgeries. I think that he has had some patients who have only needed it once, but it's a rarity.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions -- I don't know how it would work if you are trached, and I hasten to add that most of my disease was in the subglottis and NOT in the trachea at all (only first two rings).