PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Retention

freakyschizogirl
03-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Hi all

Over the last few days my left foot has swollen up. :ohmy:I know it is fluid retention because my mum has the same feet...hers look like balloons! Any tips on how to get it to go down? I'm wearing a tubigrip bandage at the mo...cos i've heard compression helps, as does keeping it elevated.
Also i'm wondering if it would be caused by my ankle as i broke it 3 years ago...

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

Sangye
03-29-2011, 01:45 AM
They need to rule out blood clot right away. Weggies are 23% more likely to get clots and sudden, unexplained foot or lower extremity edema is often the only sign you have.

A broken ankle can certainly cause ongoing edema, but it wouldn't suddenly swell up after 3 years unless you re-injured it.

Jack
03-29-2011, 04:05 AM
I agree that you need to get this looked at. There are a number of serious issues that can lead to fluid retention that need ruling out, but if caught early they can usually be treated.

freakyschizogirl
03-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Awww feeling worried now... my mum has it but its caused by her arthritis....i've hear Steroids can cause fluid retention too...

Sangye
03-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Steroids will cause symmetrical swelling. Please don't try to self-diagnose for this, Sam. Get it checked out today.

freakyschizogirl
03-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Wasnt self diagnosing, i just never think it could be anything more than something simple!

And the fact my mum has it, thought it was just a quirky thing that would go away.

I have to go get a blood test tomorrow anyway, might as well pop in to get checked out too.

Thanks for your advice, which is invaluable to me. x

Sangye
03-29-2011, 06:27 AM
You're welcome. I'd be happier if you went today. nudge nudge :tongue1:

freakyschizogirl
03-29-2011, 06:29 AM
lol its 7.30pm here Sangye!

And its gone down again now...seems to be playing with me!

elephant
03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Still get it check out tomorrow. Something is not right esp. it being one leg and not the other. Take care of your self, let us know tomorrow.

Sangye
03-29-2011, 02:50 PM
LOL Elephant is a very skilled nudger as well. :wink1:

freakyschizogirl
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
LOL i've been well and truely nudged, spent 4 hours in the emergency room last night and they say everything is fine and if it comes back to see my GP.

Jack
03-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Well done for getting it checked out and I'm glad that they found nothing wrong. :)

In the past, I have suffered from thrombosis and also renal failure and both of these can give the symptom of swollen feet. They are also both high risks when you have Wegener's so I'm sure you can understand everyone's concern about you. You did the right thing! ;)

Sangye
03-30-2011, 02:25 AM
YAY! Very happy to hear you went and that all is well. :thumbsup:

Brooke
03-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Glad to hear everything is ok, better to be safe and get things checked out:thumbup:

freakyschizogirl
03-30-2011, 06:49 AM
They are also both high risks when you have Wegener's so I'm sure you can understand everyone's concern about you. You did the right thing! ;)

Yeah and thanks to everyone for pushing me to go, my friends had a good nudge too. Put my mind at rest, and wouldnt you now it, its not swollen up at all today! Cheeky thing, think it wanted some attention!

drz
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
LOL i've been well and truely nudged, spent 4 hours in the emergency room last night and they say everything is fine and if it comes back to see my GP.

We are happy you went and got good news. Any time the ER let you go home is usually a good thing.

elephant
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
So happy to hear that your doing good and no leg problems today.

freakyschizogirl
04-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi all.

This problem keeps coming back. My foot, on occasion, swells up and then goes away again. Its happening every other week or so now.

Happened to mention it to my family that it looks like i've got an alien foot and i got told "its not that bad" and "it'll be better in the morning" so i went to bed more than a little annoyed. After waking up this morning my family are cooing around me asking how my foot is, is it still swollen. Grrrr!

Really annoys me they cant let me feel sorry for myself just once.

pwc51
04-23-2011, 01:31 AM
I suffer friom the same. It was worse whilst not in 'remission' when any late night without putting my feet up would end up with one or two swollen ankles. After the rituximab it has improved so that they tend to swell after two late nights rather than one - but much less than before. Consultant thinks it is the pred and is not too concerned - particularly as, after a nights rest, the swelling is generally gone.

Sangye
04-23-2011, 02:33 AM
I have a major problem with this, too. No one can figure out the cause.

drz
04-23-2011, 08:32 AM
I used to have this problem when in nursing home and rehab hospital and had to wear some support stockings at night. I think they said it was from not walking enough since I was mainly in wheel chair at the time. I was then also on higher dosage of prednisone and maybe that was part of it too. It was so bad that I couldn't wear my shoes for some time.

freakyschizogirl
04-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Well i'm sitting pretty at 5mg of Pred, so it couldnt be that, could it?

I walk quite a lot with my job so its not for lack of exercise. And drz i can sympathise my mum's feet are like that now.

I will bring it up at my next appointment with Adds which is at the end of May, as i dont think my GP would take much notice, or she's perscribe me water tablets and i dont really wanna take more meds.

Thanks for all your input guys :)

elephant
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Mabey it's valve insufficiency in the lower leg. Wg can attack the blood vessels and leave their granulomas laying around ( GPA). Just a thought. Sangye, what do you think?