PDA

View Full Version : The Roof of My Mouth

Lady Bug
01-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Hello to all,

Tonight I couldn't sleep. It was a relief to see that other people post in the early am too. For quite some while (Im not sure how long) I've had this huge "knot" that hangs from the roof of my mouth toward the back of my throat. Everything is smooth from the front of my teeth until you get closer to my throat. Then it's just there. I thought it was normal. I looked at the roof of my husbands mouth and he doesn't have one. At first I think he thought that I was just being "weird" or something, but he looked at the roof of my mouth and said, "What is that?" I told him that I hadn't said anything earlier beacuse I thought everyone had one. He seemed very concerned and was adoment about me seeing a doctor. I searched for pictures on the web, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be?

crackers
01-17-2009, 12:59 AM
sorry brande i've not come across anything like that maybe somebody else on here has though.my advice would be to see your doctor asap and get it checked out.good luck and stay healthy.
john.

Sangye
01-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Okay, I'm just checking here. You're not talking about the uvula, right? Looks like a punching bag hanging in the back of the throat? There is a remote chance that your husband is genetically missing one and wouldn't necessarily know it. Here's a pic, just to be sure.

http://64.143.176.9/library/healthguide/en-us/images/media/medical/hw/hwkb17_073.jpg

hotnorm
01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
when i was hospitalised with wg i had a big sore inside my mouth it seemed huge but i didn't do a thing about it and it dissapeared a couple of days later.
this is one of the many weird symptoms of this disease.

Lady Bug
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Thank you for responding. I searched the internet some more after the post. I found that 27 out of 1000 people develops a torus, a hard bony growth on the hard palate of your mouth. It mostly affects women and there usually always benign, but they suggest biopsies to be sure. I did find a picture that looks like the one I have....it doesn't hurt or anything, so I'll wait until my yearly dental exam to inquire.

Sangye
01-18-2009, 01:49 AM
The Mayo docs will tell you for sure!