PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Nose

missc
03-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Hey i was just wondering if anyone has had reconstructive surgery on there saddle nose? Ive had a saddle nose for years now and i do feel unconfident with it but im just scared if i have the operation, it might collapse and be worse. Ive been in remission for the last 6years and sometimes do feel i should leave it and just be very grateful that im in remission :)

Brooke
03-19-2011, 04:06 AM
I had mine repaired, my ENT took cartilage from behind my ear. This was over a year ago, it has not collapsed but I can feel the cartilage with my hand, I wasn't able to feel it before. I don't really know how to explain it. Right now it looks way better than it did before the surgery. It looks like a normal nose!

missc
03-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Hey Brooke thanks for replying. I am really thinking of going ahead with it and just hope it doesn't collapse again :)

Brooke
03-19-2011, 04:15 AM
Yeah, I had good luck so far, hope you do too! I am friends with a girl on facebook who also had it done, they took part of her rib to repair her nose! Ouchie! I am not sure why they did it that way, seems a lot more difficult. She said it collapsed a tiny bit but still looks a lot better than before. She is very young, I think she is still in high school.

JanW
03-19-2011, 06:37 AM
So funny to see this today...I am now reducing on mtx and saw my ENT today and he said that when I get to 5 mg of mtx we can start to seriously discuss me getting my nose repaired (he originally said that I needed to be six months med free, but he is changing that in my particular case). He said that he just operated on a girl from Calgary who had one for years and was starting college and felt horrible about herself and it has changed her life. He always does his with a plastic surgeon so that he can also get an aesthetically pleasing result. There's no reason for you not to have it done particularly if you are in remission, but I know that they will tell you that if you flare again it could collapse (and I am not sure that you can do anything to stop it from collapsing in that case -- like I don't know if you jump on the flare right away that will stop it, or will that be too late; I'm sure I will learn this before surgery).

He takes cartilage from ribs, ears (not so much), skull -- anywhere he can get it. He says that the surgery to do that is more risky than what the plastic guy does which is position it in the nose.

He is a world famous expert on these repairs, which is why people come from Canada, etc. to see him.