PDA

View Full Version : one time on prednisone...

delorisdoe
03-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Back when I was on 100mg daily I was going for very frequent blood work and my veins and my skin around my veins where the tape goes was paying the price. One day I had a mid day appointment that I left work for. When I returned to work my boss who is one of those harsh mother, face everything head on types decided to "help" me out and without asking ripped off the tape to save me the trouble. Wow. She left a bleedng gash on my arm that took 2months to heal. My short sleeved uniform was a daily reminder to her. We still laugh about it. It was pretty funny.

andrew
03-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Laugh about it now but perhaps not quite that funny at the time? :biggrin1: That must have hurt!

delorisdoe
03-14-2011, 10:16 AM
ya, we laugh about the look on my face. actually she laughs about the look on my face. i cried at the time.

WeggieParent
03-15-2011, 03:05 AM
Ouch!! Perfect time to ask for that raise after she's ripped your skin off!

My daughter wouldn't let any nurses or doctors take tape off her without the adhesive remover that comes in the little packets and smells like oranges. The nurses would always say 'just let me rip it off fast' but she knew better! Everytime I smell orange I think of those little adhesive removers for tape.

Sangye
03-15-2011, 03:36 AM
I've never seen the adhesive removers. Sure could've used them a few times!

I've learned that if you hold the skin taut before taking off adhesive it doesn't hurt nearly as much and doesn't damage the skin so much either.

pberggren1
03-15-2011, 03:45 AM
I will love the day when I can get this stupid PICC line out so I don't have to have the dressing changed each week. About a month or so ago one nurse that I had never had before just started to rip it off and I said go slowly, but she managed to rip the stitches right out. My skin is quite red and looks like it is irritated in that area. There is no pain and very little discomfort. I also have never heard of the adhesive removers. I may be off the Amikacin as soon as the middle of April and then I can finally have the PICC line out.

Sangye
03-15-2011, 03:52 AM
I wonder if you're allergic to the adhesive, Phil. I developed that allergy since getting Wegs. (Along with aloe vera--sheesh!) Ask them to use a hypoallergenic one. If they already are, ask for a different type. It's a common problem so they have a lot of options.

pberggren1
03-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Thanks Sangye. I never even thought of that. I will ask next time. That sucks being alergic to aloe vera.

WeggieParent
03-15-2011, 05:09 AM
They come in packets like little alcohol pads and they're called adhesive removers. They're oily and smell like oranges. They work miracles. We got a box of them from the dr when we had to change her chest tube dressings every few days. You rub it under a corner of the tape & keep rubbing as the tape just lets go & falls off. Handy for sensitive skin!

Phil - hope that PICC line comes out successfully. Those are NO fun!! Best wishes to you!!

drz
03-15-2011, 05:56 AM
I've never seen the adhesive removers. Sure could've used them a few times!

I've learned that if you hold the skin taut before taking off adhesive it doesn't hurt nearly as much and doesn't damage the skin so much either.

Any diabetic supply place sells them in packets of 50-100. I suspect most pharmacies might also have them in stock. I think they have a kerosene or similar base they try mask with other scents but are effective at removing adhesive left behind by infusion sets, and continuous glucose monitoring sensors or any thing else you stick on your skin that you don't want to fall off for awhile. I find that a cooking oil will also work just much slower but it feels less caustic to me. Alcohol wipes sort of work too but take a lot more rubbing. So will any of the commercial sprays or products designed to remove adhesives, but I am not sure I want to put those on my skin either.

drz
03-15-2011, 05:59 AM
I will love the day when I can get this stupid PICC line out so I don't have to have the dressing changed each week. About a month or so ago one nurse that I had never had before just started to rip it off and I said go slowly, but she managed to rip the stitches right out. My skin is quite red and looks like it is irritated in that area. There is no pain and very little discomfort. I also have never heard of the adhesive removers. I may be off the Amikacin as soon as the middle of April and then I can finally have the PICC line out.

How are they keeping it from getting infected. Mine were only in for short periods of time but I had two infections in those PICC lines. I did like them though for IV's and blood draws. No stick, just open the tap.

pberggren1
03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
They use chlorhexadine swabs to clean the area before puting the new dressing on. I have not been able to draw blood from this since before Christmas, so I have to get poked in the right arm 3 times a week.

drz
03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
They use chlorhexadine swabs to clean the area before puting the new dressing on. I have not been able to draw blood from this since before Christmas, so I have to get poked in the right arm 3 times a week.
That seems strange. I wonder why they didn't replace it with one that works for blood draws too. Is it just used for IV's? How often do you get those? I found the second time they had to replace mine it hurt much more than first time, probably due to infection or maybe the skill of inserter.

pberggren1
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
drz:

I was able to draw for a while, maybe about 2 months and then nothing. My doc says probably a clotted flap formed at the end of the line like a one way valve. I dose the Amikacin MWF. I have not had an infection with this one or the one just prior to it. I also found the second one a bit more painful during the procedure, but the first one had more pain associated with it the following two days.

drz
03-15-2011, 01:13 PM
drz:

I was able to draw for a while, maybe about 2 months and then nothing. My doc says probably a clotted flap formed at the end of the line like a one way valve. I dose the Amikacin MWF. I have not had an infection with this one or the one just prior to it. I also found the second one a bit more painful during the procedure, but the first one had more pain associated with it the following two days.

I hope things improve enough soon so you won't need it. Then you can have a PICC farewell party and celebrate.
Bet wishes for better health and quick warm spring!:biggrin1:

pberggren1
03-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Yes, I am looking forward to the party.