PDA

View Full Version : What causes Wegener's Granulomatosis?

Chas
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Hi,
I was diagnosed with Wegeners in January this year. I am aware the cause of Wegener’s Granulomatosis is not known after being told by my doctors and what I have researched into so far.
But I have found a few articles in studies done that associates Wegeners with exposure to dust and silca dust (glass dust) and silicon compounds.
I would be interested to know what types of environment other Wegeners sufferers have been exposed to, if any?
I myself have worked in a whisky bottling factory for 38 years and the working environment is very polluted with carboard and glass dust.
I look forward to hearing replies from fellow sufferers.

Regards
Chas.

Sangye
03-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Chas, the items you listed are the only known causes of Wegs. Because of that, I would say that you probably have a very strong Worker's Comp case if you chose to pursue it.

I know of someone who proved his Wegs was caused by exposure to solvents used in printing, but I haven't seen studies confirming that so I don't know how he proved it.

drz
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Chas, the items you listed are the only known causes of Wegs. Because of that, I would say that you probably have a very strong Worker's Comp case if you chose to pursue it.

I know of someone who proved his Wegs was caused by exposure to solvents used in printing, but I haven't seen studies confirming that so I don't know how he proved it.

Did you also refer to a case where a person got Workmen comp for asbestos exposure?

Sangye
03-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Yes, I think it was asbestos but I'm not 100% sure. A teacher's classroom walls or ceiling had major construction work done and she became severely ill immediately.

Natalie
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
I was diagnosed while working at a chicken abattoir. plenty of nasty bugs floating arond there and always thought my wegs stemmed from there .

pberggren1
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
I was diagnosed while working at a chicken abattoir. plenty of nasty bugs floating arond there and always thought my wegs stemmed from there .

What is an abattoir?

delorisdoe
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I heard on tv today that people with type b blood are more likely to have autoimune dissorders

Sangye
04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I have type A. A+.... perfect score. LOL

pberggren1
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I have A+ as well. lol

gmyi
04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
hello all

I think that like W.G.as a lot of forms in its appearance and symptoms also there are a lot of causes for it

delorisdoe
04-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I have NO idea what type of blood i have.

sadpixie
04-12-2011, 10:07 PM
B+ blood type here. I have often wondered if my Wegs was triggered by mold exposure at my last townhouse.

WeggieParent
04-12-2011, 11:32 PM
B- blood type for my daughter.

Brooke
04-12-2011, 11:40 PM
My mom always thought our old apartment is what got me sick. Thats when it all started, there was black mold behind the tub and they just put a new tub in, didn't clean it or remove it. I forgot what blood type I have, I am thinking B .....

sadpixie
04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
That is exactly what happened in my old rental too, it was behind the tub and the bath/shower surround. I was a huge fan of reading in the bath (it was my me time after my husband got home) and would sometimes spend hours in the tub. Especially, on nights when my sinuses were giving me such problems. :glare:

LilyPony
04-13-2011, 12:23 AM
In my case, I was 100% healthy until catching a nasty head cold from someone who'd been overseas. All of us coworkers got pretty sick from it, presumably because we had no immunity to that particular bug. It was "just" a head cold though. Few people needed antibiotics from sinus infections but really just your basic head cold. I went to bed feelign cruddy and woke up with what was diagnosed about a year later as wegs.

Later, we found out there was a lot of mold and asbestos in the house but we hadn't started renovating until after my diagnosis. I don't think there was any asbestos exposure because it hadn't been disturbed, but the mold was in the sheetrock around the HVAC vents so it's likely it was circulating in the air. It was tested negative for the toxic deadly type of mold you read about but it was nasty stuff nonetheless.

Oh, and I'm an A+ blood type "perfect" as can be!

ArlaMo
04-13-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm A+ blood type, but I'm really interested in the issue of mold. We had a water leak created by an ice dam two and a half years ago (so about 9 months before I first got sick.) Water leaked in around the chimney - our bedroom shares a wall with the living room where the fireplace is located and our bedroom carpet got soaked all along that wall. Our landlord took a long time to get the fix going - now I'm wondering if there might be some mold somewhere and might have been the trigger...

Kimbangu
04-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Surely there are countless sources which could have caused our autoimmune systems to go into overdrive? - I'm a little surprised that a worker is quoted in this thread as having contracted WG due to exposure to solvents in his workplace then successfully sued his employer. That is astonishing. This would indeed be an unique occurrence and I'd like to learn more about it. Does anyone have any sources/links?

I'm B Rhesus D+

Chris G
04-13-2011, 01:49 AM
My blood type is O+. No known exposure to toxins that I can think of.

Sangye
04-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Kimbangu, it was someone I knew in another Wegs group. If you PM me I'll give you the link and his name.

It's nice to see you-- how are things going?

Lightwarrior
04-13-2011, 02:36 AM
A+ blood type. I have lived in several old houses and had to clean a shower full of mold with bleach before we moved in to one of them. I also spent many years 10+ years ago fighting a nuclear waste dump when I lived in New Mexico.

Sangye
04-13-2011, 03:43 AM
The "B-type-is-more-associated-with-AI-diseases" theory seems to be taking a beating today! :laugh:

elsawind
04-13-2011, 04:05 AM
My husband is B +. He worked for Hughes Aircraft as prototype machinist, working with all kind of metals, many classified. Radars, the antenna for the space shuttle, parts for the stealth bomber, etc. I agree with gmyi

delorisdoe
04-13-2011, 05:11 AM
The "B-type-is-more-associated-with-AI-diseases" theory seems to be taking a beating today! :laugh:

the occurance of autoimune was not a whole lot greater than with other blood types.

Natalie
04-13-2011, 08:10 AM
What is an abattoir? HI :smile1: An Abattoir is another name for a slaughterhouse where animals are killed for consumption . you may know them as meat works ??

pberggren1
04-13-2011, 08:48 AM
That is what I thought an abattoir was Natalie.

drz
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I have A+ as well. lol

Me too, so maybe it is A+ types that are more likely to have AI disorders; given our scientific poll of three!

DEE
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Me too, so maybe it is A+ types that are more likely to have AI disorders; given our scientific poll of three!
Im A + too DEE x

Geoff
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Just to be different... I am AB+

As to what was the cause for WG for me I can only guess, however, we had moved into a newly converted 'barn' as a fancy office, you know all exposed beams and computers.

They treated the beams with something or other and every day my desk and computer would be covered in a fine dust.

The company secretary caught a nasty cold whilst on holiday abroad and kindly passed it on and that was pretty much the start of things for me.

Gator
04-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Does it affect Caucasians more than other races?

Kimbangu
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Kimbangu, it was someone I knew in another Wegs group. If you PM me I'll give you the link and his name.

It's nice to see you-- how are things going?

Diagnosed in Nov 2009 I am in drug maintained remission since may 2010. I'm on 5mg pred, 100 mg Imuran. I have partial deafness, Tinnitus , and lost a bit of feeling in my right hand which feels cold all the time now. My last white blood cell count was 4.0 , absolute neutrophyl 2.8. My kidneys seem to be holding up but they took a hammering.

I just pop in once in a while to catch up on the news, sorry to be such a lurker guys!

gmyi
04-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I have blood type O + and still have WG and I used to be and work in dry places with clean air

chrisTIn@
04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Bloodtype A here.
Had a nasty infection with Q-fever prior to my WG-diagnose.

Q fever is a zoonotic disease caused by Coxiella burnetii, a species of bacteria that is distributed globally.

Thought I recovered from the Q-fever quickley, but stayed tired.
Was working in my daughter's student's home, which my hubby and I kind of renovated.
Was very dusty there, I did wear a dust-mask, but maybe all that dust from the walls of her (old) bathroom triggered my Wegener's too...:scared:

mishb
04-13-2011, 10:42 PM
O+ for me
By reading this forum, can only say a very lot of stress in 2009 and/or mould in the bathroom prior to renovations (but then the same as the rest of the members of my family and they are fine...I think). Got a headcold the night of my fathers funeral in July 09. Felt absolutely lousy all day and woke next day with full blown headcold. Sinus infection started from there. Had been diagnosed with RA and Low vitamin D many months prior to this. Funny, had an intern look at my symptons on Monday (with Rheumy) and he said, I would never have associated RA and a sinus infection as anything other than two separate conditions. I now know that the Rheumy will have a lot to teach this young lad :smile1:

gwenllian111
04-14-2011, 12:36 AM
I first had WG when I was 14 years old, so my poor mother was convinced it was something she'd accidentily exposed me too (ie. Garden pesticides). However, in school, I had the MMR vaccination twice as the original school records had been lost - there was some debate as to whether that had my immune system react abnormally.

The reality is, the WG is here, it's not going away, so what can you do? I don't think a 'cause' will ever be determined. :(

Daggar
04-14-2011, 01:32 AM
I first had WG when I was 14 years old, so my poor mother was convinced it was something she'd accidentily exposed me too (ie. Garden pesticides). However, in school, I had the MMR vaccination twice as the original school records had been lost - there was some debate as to whether that had my immune system react abnormally.

The reality is, the WG is here, it's not going away, so what can you do? I don't think a 'cause' will ever be determined. :(

This post sent a chill up my spine..... Gwenllian, you were the same age as Holly at the time of diagnosis. In our never-ending search for "answers" I've always looked at the possibility that we may of exposed her to something that caused the WG but can't think of anything other than the vaccinations.

She has had "chronic uti's" since very young and was placed on antibiotics for extended periods (off and on).... I'm not sure if that confused her immune system??

The first thing that the doctors told us when we sat down with them at the time of diagnosis was "there is nothing you've done or could of done to change the outcome". To this day I'm still not sure that statement is correct but it helps you focus more on the "here and now".

If it is exposure to toxins in the home... .why aren't more family members who have experienced the same exposure inflicted? This would also appear to rule out the "genetic" factor.

I'm beginning to think that there are quite a combination of factors needed to cause WG .... maybe there needed to be a viral infection (cold bug) at the time of toxin exposure or vaccination???

Our FP's comment that it's like being hit by lightning seems appropriate now that the dust has settled.

Sangye
04-14-2011, 02:46 AM
If it is exposure to toxins in the home... .why aren't more family members who have experienced the same exposure inflicted? This would also appear to rule out the "genetic" factor.

There are many factors that affect how a person will respond to toxic exposure. If one's liver function is impaired (not at a medical level, just not optimal function) they might not detox chemicals out as quickly as a housemate. Or maybe they have more body fat, allowing for greater absorption of fat-soluble toxins. Also, there are multiple biochemical detox pathways that only work properly if all nutrients involved are at optimal levels. Or they might have vertebral misalignments affecting the nerves that supply the liver, kidneys or GI tract (all necessary for detoxification). And I could think of at least 20 other non-genetic causes!

There are numerous inherited weaknesses that might affect detoxification as well. Exposure to certain toxins mutates the DNA.

There was a great PBS documentary by Bill Moyers years ago called "Kids and Chemicals." Here is the transcript if you're interested. NOW with Bill Moyers. Transcript. May 10, 2002 | PBS (http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript117_full.html) You can also buy the DVD. While we can't do anything about the fact that we already have Wegs, we can certainly do a lot to limit how many other people get diseases that are linked to toxins.

Daggar
04-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Interesting -- "1 step forward -- two steps back". Regulatory bodies can't seem to keep up with industry and all the new products out there.

Sangaye -- are you familiar with this article?... Candida: Causes and Effects; Implications for Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia, Autoimmune Diseases and Multiple Chemical Sensitivit | ENCOGNITIVE.COM (http://www.encognitive.com/node/4974)

RCOSSIO
04-14-2011, 06:39 AM
As a weggie...I know it can be frustrating trying to figure why you have WG. But then again same can be said for those with cancer, those with juvenile diabetes, those with heart failure. We can blame all the toxins but yet we won't give up our cars, tv, electronics, our gas, our electricity, low cost of food and clothing and not expect clean enviroment.

What I am really saying is...we can try to determine a cause to assist us in either developing a cure or in our case finding treatment that works better. So its either we give up the things we love or we adjust to the enviroment we live in. I am all for greener living...but at what financial cost.

Daggar
04-14-2011, 06:56 AM
I hear you Richard!

It is a "balancing act" and always will be.

chrisTIn@
04-14-2011, 07:27 AM
...can only say a very lot of stress in 2009

The fact that you lost your father in 2009, and you experienced a lot of stress in that period, will also be a factor...
I lost my only sister, and that was a shock to me, in a period when I had other ´stressing´ factors as well. After we (my hubby, my brothers and other relatives) organised the funeral and the memorial I kind of collapsed, and got the nasty flue-like infection, which turned out to be a Q-fever infection (but it took me months to figure that out).

My doctor is convinced that stress is also an important 'trigger' in the complex development of Wegener's.

Sangye
04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Stress is absolutely is a major contributor to onset of any disease. Holistic docs have been saying this for at least 100 years.

Sangye
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
So its either we give up the things we love or we adjust to the enviroment we live in. I am all for greener living...but at what financial cost.
Richard, the documentary I linked to gave numerous examples of ways to limit toxic exposure in children without greatly altering one's life. Some of the worst exposures come from household chemicals and lawn products. There are so many safer alternatives available now. I don't have kids but I don't use any products that are harmful to the environment.

Sangye
04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Sangaye -- are you familiar with this article?... Candida: Causes and Effects; Implications for Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia, Autoimmune Diseases and Multiple Chemical Sensitivit | ENCOGNITIVE.COM (http://www.encognitive.com/node/4974)
I hadn't seen that particular article before but I worked with many patients who had candida. I agree with much of what the author wrote. I don't agree that colonics are necessary or that it is overly difficult to treat. Also, if someone is unwilling to greatly decrease or eliminate sugar from their diet I think it's pointless to test for it and treat it. A good candida treatment plan reduces sugar cravings, but the patient will have to participate in his/her treatment by staying off of sugar or it will be a waste of time and money.

RCOSSIO
04-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Sangye...I do agree with your reasoning. I guess my point was that its difficult to eliminate toxins when as consumers we demand the products that these specific products helps us in our daily lives. I am gonna pack my bags and move to Sedona...Sangye do you know of a good Rheumy there....:flapper:

Sangye
04-15-2011, 04:58 AM
LOL I'm not gonna let you move to Sedona. It's gorgeous there for sure. But there are is only one rheumy in northern AZ (wish I were kidding) and he's the guy who messed up my care.

You are right that we are living in a sea of toxins and we aren't able to decrease many of them. We need the cool cars from the Jetsons! :biggrin1:

Gator
04-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Does it affect Caucasians more than other races?
Bump Does anyone know?

RCOSSIO
04-16-2011, 09:55 PM
How about the maid with the barrel head...I could sure use her.

Sangye
04-17-2011, 02:15 AM
LOL Rosie! Remember when she got depressed though? She would fall over and moan. It's been decades since I saw it but I can still hear the moan.

Psyborg
04-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Bump Does anyone know?

I think this is a bit of a myth based on what I've heard. It may be an economic thing.

Mitch
04-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Chas, my husband, Mitch, is a part owner of an embroiderery business...lots of fabric dust floating around in the air. His brother owned a printing business for 20 yrs. and is now in line for lung transplants....This leads me to believe that what you're saying might be true....

vdub
04-17-2011, 02:27 PM
B- here. Exposed to normal farm chemicals growing up and then the wonderful smell of freedom (aka, jet fuel) for a good portion of my adult life. I seriously doubt that either had anything to do with me getting wegs.

Finding a cause is one of the big mysterys they are working on. I'm told that if you give dna to one of the studies in the foundation, then it goes to all of them. I hope that is the case as I did give to Mt Sinai in Toronto. I'll have to ask the folks at SLC. If I need to give more dna or participate in some other way in the studies, I'm certainly going to do it.

"there is nothing you've done or could of done to change the outcome".
Sure have to agree with what your doc told you. Don't beat yourself up because one, "no one knows" and two, "it's highly unlikely".

As for, does it primarily affect caucasians? Hard to say.... Click here for previous discussion (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/1411-demographics-2.html).

Sangye
04-18-2011, 12:01 AM
B- here. Exposed to normal farm chemicals growing up and then the wonderful smell of freedom (aka, jet fuel) for a good portion of my adult life. I seriously doubt that either had anything to do with me getting wegs.

You might find this study interesting, vdub. Short-term exposure to JP-8 jet fuel results in lo... [Toxicol Ind Health. 1997 Sep-Oct] - PubMed result (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9284530)

RCOSSIO
04-18-2011, 01:00 AM
The memories....
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/8600000/Rosie-the-Robot-Maid-the-jetsons-8644031-183-293.gif (http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/8600000/Rosie-the-Robot-Maid-the-jetsons-8644031-183-293.gif)

[/URL][URL="http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/photo_ROSIE4.JPEG"] (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/photo_ROSIE5.JPEG)

vdub
04-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Interesting study indeed... I wonder if they mean exposure to the raw fuel or the burned fuel (exhaust). Mine, of course, would have been exposure to the burned fuel and probably a lot less than ground crew personnel who had it day-in and day-out. It kind of sounds like they mean raw fuel which would then tend to limit things to refueling people and maintenance personnel.

Sangye
04-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I have no idea. I just found that study by doing a quick google of "jet fuel and autoimmune disease."

delorisdoe
04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Sometimes i think back to my very first wg flare-pre diagnosis. I had gone to my best friends wedding and drank more than i ever had before. to be fair...my life long grade-high shcool crush was also there and i had to show him what hed been missing. anyhow, i was quite hung over the next day and the next day, and the day after that. By the 6th day, one of my employees suggested that perhaps i was not still hung over. musta been the wisky, coulda been the gin. lol. thats what caused my wg. ok maybe not.

Psyborg
04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
I believe it's caused by a visit from the Weg's Fairy....

lili
04-19-2011, 07:19 AM
I heard on tv today that people with type b blood are more likely to have autoimune dissorders

I'd poo poo that idea as i'm B- and i'm never ill...my partner with Wegeners is A+ like some of the other members...maybe thats it :sad:

Jack
04-19-2011, 07:38 AM
musta been the wisky, coulda been the gin. lol. thats what caused my wg. ok maybe not.
I had a similar experience. My first thought was, "What did I drink to give me a headache like this?" So that proves that we are all just suffering from hangover complications! :rolleyes1:

Sangye
04-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Not me! ROTFL

Jack
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
We all know about the bottle hidden in the cupboard! :wink1:

Sangye
04-19-2011, 07:54 AM
You mean the olive oil? :laugh:

Jack
04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
OK, I'll let you win this time. :tongue1:

elephant
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
LOL! Olive oil, Gin, Vodka...all require a trip to the bathroom. :)

delorisdoe
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
I had a similar experience. My first thought was, "What did I drink to give me a headache like this?" So that proves that we are all just suffering from hangover complications! :rolleyes1:

Funny thing is my life long crush whom I was trying to impress with my partying was diagosed with godpastures syndrom a year after I was diagnosed. Good thing he did not share my affections...we would have been a sorry pair.:biggrin1:

drz
04-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Don't you wish? Then you could make up tomorrow and be all better after an aspirin.

maria garcia
04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I thought its in the Genes. my mother in Law had an Autoimmune disorder.

pberggren1
04-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I thought it was in the 'jeans' too but I was wearing kakhis when I was dx. LOL:w00t:

ScreaminMeanie
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Over the years I've had several theories for my own case: herbicides or pesticides for the initial flare; flu shot (w/out H1N1) for this most recent flare; aluminum.....there've been others that I can't remember at the moment. If I figure it out, I'll let y'all know. :tongue1:

Sangye
04-24-2011, 11:58 PM
I thought its in the Genes. my mother in Law had an Autoimmune disorder.
Maria, there is no evidence to suspect that Wegs is genetic, though they are doing a couple of studies to investigate it.

My doc at JHU recently told me the incidence of Wegs in families with other AI diseases is the same as in families without them.

Jack
04-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Since no one has yet discovered the cause of Wegener's I find it best to pick a theory that fits the facts of your particular case and believe in that one. :wink1:

In my case, my immune system was sent astray in trying to combat an infection from polluted sea water. Or at least, that is what I have chosen to be the cause.

delorisdoe
04-25-2011, 05:00 AM
once when i was twelve i was really thirsty and could not drink our well water as it was empty so i snuk down to the creek beside my house and drank from it. ewwww

vdub
04-25-2011, 05:10 AM
I find it best to pick a theory that fits the facts of your particular case and believe in that one
In that case, I think I'll go with lack of enough alcohol in my system to combat all forms of human illnesses.... :wink1:

Actually, I have to go with delorisdoe. When I was 10, I ate ice from our creek. It was too long after that when I came down with an odd unexplained illness. I had jaundice and was dead tired. Lots and lots of tests, but the docs could not explain it. After a years worth of hydrocortisone, I was better. Fifty years later, I get WG.

delorisdoe
04-25-2011, 05:23 AM
are you serious...thats funny. i was kidding sort of. I sometimes try to think what hapened in my life that triggerd wg. I would imagine some people have it but never flare. what triggered my flares. I think i had strep throat before what they thought was pnuemonia but was wegners. I lived 3 times where there was well water for the most part blame water. when I got sick it was when i lived on a cattle farm with wells. This is not the worst part though. These were wealthy farmers. they were wealthy because they owened a trucking company that worked for the government. They picked up human waste and it was turned into fertilizer at the gov't plants and spread on their fields.

maybe it was that trip to the creek though.

I would not call my self a sickly child but it was at that same age that i got a really bad cough that took months to go away and was deemed to be asthma. who knows?

vdub
04-25-2011, 05:27 AM
I suspect in most of our cases, we will never know.... Oh well....

jeriorleans
04-26-2011, 12:46 PM
So very funny that yall are talking about mold today. A.J. has been evacuated from our home for a couple weeks because a pipe leaked (and had been leaking) into the wall for sometime. When they tore the bottom cabinets out of the kitchen the sheetrock was full of mold. THey came in and tore it out and sprayed mold killer and two days later cleared us for reentry. Because insurance wouldn't pay for the top cabinets I began pulling them out myself and there is mold to the ceiling.
And of course my first thought... how long has it been there, how much more is there, and did I give A.J. wegeners?

Sangye
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Even if the mold is there, please don't beat yourself up over it or think you gave your son Wegs. You will use up much-needed strength and it will not accomplish anything. I think you shouldn't be doing the work yourself, though. You need someone trained in mold remediation to do it properly or you'll spread mold all over the house.

Lauren
04-28-2011, 01:59 AM
I was talking with a fellow weggie a few nights ago about the cause of WG... He was interested in the trend between the education system and auto-immune disorders. This would definitely apply to me. I grew up getting strep about twice a year. But I got more and more sick when I started college and lived in the dorms. I went on to be a Resident Assistant at one of the dorms. So I was always around people.... sleeping and breathing in everything around me. Also, the stress involved in education could be a big reason as to why the immune system is compromised. Just an idea... Anyone else in education or something relative to it?

Brooke
04-28-2011, 02:25 AM
I got strep throat ALOT when I was young. Around age 7

maria garcia
04-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Ive read both. My friend has lupus and her sister has scleroderma. Ive met several families who all have an auto immune.

ScreaminMeanie
04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
I believe there are some autoimmune diseases that do have a genetic link. So far (as far as I know), no one has yet found found a genetic link for WG.

Mitch
04-29-2011, 01:36 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! This is a hoot!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mitch
04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Pardon, me....assuming it's you..otherwise, that was a rude remark on my part...and I'm sorry if that is the case.

mama2005
05-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I work in a retail store but, I live with in a town which has a refineory and I have heard that the chemicals that they put out every day may have effects on our communities health. I am guessing its got to do with chemicals some where.

Psyborg
05-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I have a refinery accross the street from where I work that recycles oil. They've had 32 EPA complaints in 2 years...I really think they are part of my original problem, but if course there is no way to prove that.

vdub
05-10-2011, 12:03 AM
It is so hard to say what the cause is. There are plenty of people with WG who lived in relatively chemical-free environments. I am no scientist, but, in IMHO, chemicals might be a trigger, but not a cause. I believe we are most likely predisposed to WG or some other autoimmune disease due to genetics and then some trigger actually flares the disease.

Juvenilie Diabetes is generally thought to be a genetic disease, but some people are now thinking it is either caused or triggered by a viral attack. My son has JD and 3 kids on our block, including my son, came down with JD within a years time. I don't think that was coincidence. Eventually, we might find out what causes WG, but it will be a while....

Sangye
05-10-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your son has JD. I was in the ER once and there was a little boy in the adjacent bed who'd just been dx'ed with it. He was about 5 years old and I still remember him crying with panic when they told him he'd have to do shots his entire life. His parents were trying to hold it together but they were completely shaken. I was in the ER for something serious, but I remember thinking it was nothing compared to the pain they were all going through.

ScreaminMeanie
05-10-2011, 01:22 AM
I've spent so much time and energy trying to figure out what caused mine. I'm kind of coming around to not caring, although if it's because of exposure to chemicals or something in the environment, it'd be nice to know so I could avoid contact with whatever it is. But it just takes too much energy to worry about it like I used to!

Sangye
05-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Same here. I know mine was caused by toxins so I do the best I can to avoid them. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy organic or farm-raised food like I used to so I'm getting a lot of toxins that I wasn't before. I try not to think about that, either since there's no way around it. :rolleyes1:

vdub
05-10-2011, 09:02 AM
My son got JD when he was 8. He took it better than us and was giving his own shots within about a month. He got a pump when he was 10 and that freed him and us from a lot of worry. He's 28 now, has a Phd in nuclear theory and works in the defense industry doing "what ever you want to imagine".... :-)

jmmilliorn
05-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I know what you mean, S.M. I used to try to figure it out, too. Haven't seen anything that is definitive. I think the "triggers" post is right on. Something triggers your existing disposition to it, but once you know you have it , controlling it is all that matters since it isn't curable. I think a bad spider bite triggered mine. Right afterward, I started having symptoms of WG.

drz
05-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I know what you mean, S.M. I used to try to figure it out, too. Haven't seen anything that is definitive. I think the "triggers" post is right on. Something triggers your existing disposition to it, but once you know you have it , controlling it is all that matters since it isn't curable. I think a bad spider bite triggered mine. Right afterward, I started having symptoms of WG.

I also had a bad insect bite. I started have aches in the joints so they suspected Lyme's disease and treated me for that twice. Then the tests came back that it was not Lyme's disease. So then they figured it was probably a bad reaction to a spider bite.

maria garcia
05-17-2011, 10:49 AM
What about in the Genes? My mother in Law had a Auto Immune disorder. My friend has Lupus and her sister also has an Auto immune disorder. The Rhemy told us defenitely in the Genes!

jmmilliorn
05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
My daughter has MS. Can't think of any other blood relatives with auto immune.

Rini
05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I was talking with a fellow weggie a few nights ago about the cause of WG... He was interested in the trend between the education system and auto-immune disorders. This would definitely apply to me. I grew up getting strep about twice a year. But I got more and more sick when I started college and lived in the dorms. I went on to be a Resident Assistant at one of the dorms. So I was always around people.... sleeping and breathing in everything around me. Also, the stress involved in education could be a big reason as to why the immune system is compromised. Just an idea... Anyone else in education or something relative to it?

I'm an A+ and I see a lot of chemicals as a swimmer & working with stained glass. Anything b4 3 years back & I was 100% healthy. I never got anything. I had the flue 1 time when I was 14. Then I started getting strep 2 times a year. Last year they took out my tonsils. I have spent this year smashing my ER records and X-rays, making up for all the healthy time. AI's are more then common in my family also.

pberggren1
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I don't think it is in the jeans! I wear Mavis and Buffalos and have not seen it in them. LOL:laugh:

Widthofacircle
05-19-2011, 07:50 AM
I have worked in construction for over 30 years. I think exposure to some types of dust may be a factor in causing WG however I suspect it is a cause in a very small fraction of sufferers as large numbers of people work in this business yet the disease is very rare. Personally I put the reason in my case down to one thing and one thing only "STRESS". Anybody agree?

Sangye
05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Stress is definitely bad for you and is known to disrupt the immune system. It might have played some role in you getting Wegs. I believe it did for me. It can't be the only factor though, or Wegs would be epidemic!

ScreaminMeanie
05-19-2011, 07:57 AM
I have no doubt that stress contributed to both of my flares. There has to be some other underlying issue, however, otherwise every doctor and teacher and CEO and public employee and case worker and policeman and fireman and engineer etc. etc. etc. in the world would have WG!

ETA: LOL, Sangye, we posted at almost the same time.

Widthofacircle
05-19-2011, 08:02 AM
You are right Sangye that stress cannot be the only factor. I think stress weakens the immune system to a very low level of efficioency, add to this a infection of sorts and WG arrives.
I remember just prior to Wegs hitting me hard, I was thinking to myself that if I did not do something about stress levels, which were work related, I was going to do damage to myself, and next thing is Wegs knocks me down

vdub
05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
I think stress does have some effect on the immune system and anyone who has had a cold sore (herpes simplex 1) will tell you the same thing. Cold sores are viral, but they seem to have a way of erupting during times of stress.

As for my WG -- I had been retired for 4 years when my WG was diagnosed. I retired in '06 and I think the WG may have begun in '08, but I wasn't dx'ed until April '10. I was under absolutely no stress. I'm financially secure, I was healthy, and I was having the time of my life.... So stress wasn't a factor for me.....

jmmilliorn
05-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Our stories are very similar. I'm 64 now but I retired at 60. I sold my company in 2004 and worked for the new owner as part of the deal until 2006 when I retired, sold my house in town and moved to the ranch in the country. I'm well off and loving being outdoors=no stress. We were both in excellent health, traveling, and enjoying our wealth and our grandkids, spending time with friends and active in our church. We were traveling in Portland Oregon in Aug. of 2010 when I first had to be hospitalized (twice during the month) with symptoms not properly diagnosed until late in January of this year.

Widthofacircle
05-19-2011, 08:44 AM
OK vdub and J.Mike. How about anti stress? Hehe

vdub
05-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Yeah, that might work.... :-)

CODavid
05-20-2011, 12:45 AM
On Medscape they list a number of common background traits, like exposure to chemicals, living in northern regions, and agriculture. Heck, all of us are exposed to chemicals...unless you live in the middle of the desert or jungle. The common "line" from the medical community is no knows cause, it is not hereditary, and does not transmit. Oh, by the way A+ blood type. Remember, you can hear anything on the news now a days.

vdub
05-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Interesting.... I grew up on a farm in North Idaho. I "think" I am A+, but, honestly, I have to look on my dog tags to be sure. That's one thing I just can't seem to remember. And, I don't have my dog tags with me.

ScreaminMeanie
05-20-2011, 05:38 AM
I grew up in a rural area, but it wasn't farmland. Although we did have a large kitchen garden that I'm sure got routinely saturated with fun stuff like DDT and malathion and all the other yummy pesticides that have since been banned. I remember my dad complaining when they banned DDT. (And I'm O+.)

vdub
05-20-2011, 07:31 AM
I remember my dad complaining when they banned DDT.
I remember the same complaint. BUT, if we ever need it, we still know how to make the stuff....

As an interesting aside, which sends this thread way of course, but just a bit of trivia.... Prior to MSDOS, the most popular small computer operating system was CP/M. It had a program debugging tool called Dynamic Debugging Tool (DDT). Who said nerds didn't have a sense of humor?