PDA

View Full Version : Imuran was blocking antibiotics from killing my infection it caused.

firecracker
02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I need to share this story in case someone else is battling an infection they can't get rid of like I was for six or more months. I have been in the hospital five times from oct thru December. I've been doing a lot better since dec 17th when I stopped the imuran since it was the reason I had a horrible sinus infection and mold infection again. Penicillum mold and they saw two diff bacterias but couldn't grow them in a culture. Only seen in the microscope. I was on doripenum for 6 weeks on a picc line plus voriconazole, then they took it out even though I told them I still had an infection. My WBC showed that. So I was off it for two weeks before I had complete florescent green in my nose and screaming pain. New picc line an back on the doripenum again. So this one rheum. ( the fifth one I'd seen n the hospital) said every patient on imuran that he has had and they had an infection had to stop imuran to get rid of it so I did. Two days later, I was soooo much better. Green was almost gone. It was blocking the antibiotics. Then I got all the side effects with it including clots in my arteries so I'm on blood thinners til June. I had to get a new picc line on the left arm on dec 24th. I got off the antibiotics on. Jan 28th after a total of 14 weeks. Been much much better. I haven't gotten back on the imuran. I'd been on lt a year and doing much better except for this infection which had me screaming in pain.

Jack
02-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Glad to hear that they got to the bottom of the problem and that you are now making good progress, but it must be scary to stop taking your main imuno-suppressant. How about switching to an alternative such as Myfortic before anything bad happens with the Wegs?

Sangye
02-22-2011, 03:17 AM
That's the risk with any of our immunosuppressants. I'm happy to hear you're doing better. :thumbup:

pberggren1
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks for posting that Jenni.

firecracker
08-22-2013, 09:58 AM
After a year and 3 months of septra ds and 10mg prednisone, I was considered in remission and was able to quit the septra ds. I just quit the weaning off ofprednisone which took about 5 more months. I am finally getting my life back. Trying to get back in shape and lose the prednisone weight again. Just wanted to update you all since I'm terrible at posting anymore. I forgot to mention I started birth control pills last july that actually stopped my right sinus bleeding in two months and ever since. My gyno thinks I had migrated endometriosis in my rt. sinus. It's rare. .really rare but after years of it bleeding every month at the same time, and my face hurting so bad on that side she had to be right. Couple months of the pill and it stopped. I hope any of the info can help someone . Whether it be to have understanding, or even some hope. I almost died a couple times since 2008 and I never thought id even see 2010. Here it is ...over half way thru 2013. Thankful!! And thanks for not saying I was crazy like my old drs. Lol

drz
08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear you are still with us and doing better.

pberggren1
08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
That is just such great news!!!! I am so happy for you hun.