PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics

Kathie28
02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
I notice that a lot of peiple take Bactrium or Septra to prevent lung infections. Unfortunately I am allergic to Septra so I can't take those drugs. Does anyone know if there is a substitute? I have had to take Avelox twice this month because I have started coughing up what appears to be infection.

marta
02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey Kathie,

I am also allergic to Bactrim and am taking Dapsone to prevent the PCP lung infection. There's also an IV drug that you take every week or two (not sure if it's the one you're taking) but I din't want to be attached to the hospital, so Dapsone it is. 50mg day.

Hope that helps.

marta

Sangye
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Kathie, I don't remember who posted it on here, but awhile ago a member said he was allergic to Bactrim and had gone through a desensitization protocol to undo the allergy. It's safe and it worked. He can now take Bactrim. You might search this site for the thread.

Jack
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
As Sangye has said. It is possible to desensitise by building up from very low doses. Bactrim seems to have other benefits in addition to keeping the infections at bay as it seems to lessen the chance of Wegener's flares occurring.
I am a great believer in the stuff and it stopped a lot of the problems that I was getting with minor infections.

Kathie28
02-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the information. I definately feel like I should be taking something right now after taking the Rituxin and being on a high dose of prednisone. I get really nervous about catching a bad infection.

drz
02-22-2011, 04:49 AM
Kathie, I don't remember who posted it on here, but awhile ago a member said he was allergic to Bactrim and had gone through a desensitization protocol to undo the allergy. It's safe and it worked. He can now take Bactrim. You might search this site for the thread.

I asked my rheumatologist about this since i have had an allergic reaction to sulfa drugs in past so can not take Bactrim. He thought this procedure was unnecessary for me at this time and also said with all the other drugs I am on now he didn't want to take a chance of creating some allergic reaction that might sideline current treatment since i am doing well on current med regime. I don't know what risks he thought the desensitization might have for me.

Jack
02-22-2011, 05:47 AM
If things are going well at present, I too would avoid making any changes or embarking upon a process that is perhaps not required. Changes always make me nervous if there is no good reason to do it!

marta
02-22-2011, 09:59 AM
My doc was also hesitant about doing the desensitization protocol for the same reasons. Dapsone works and she didn't want to risk having to deal with an allergic reaction while I'm on all this other stuff. I think if I insisted she would probably comply but I know she was not at all interested in going down that road.

Sangye
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the information. I definately feel like I should be taking something right now after taking the Rituxin and being on a high dose of prednisone. I get really nervous about catching a bad infection.
Kathie, I don't think it's a good idea to go on Bactrim (or any other antibiotic) just because you're on rtx and pred. It's standard if you're on ctx because it makes you prone to a particular type of pneumonia that is easy to prevent but hard to treat.

Antibiotics are not benign and create deep imbalances in the body. Also, being immune-compromised means you might need antibiotics in the future to combat an infection. The more you use them now, the more likely to create antibiotic-resistant strains and/or become allergic.

Kathie28
02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I am only on the Rtx and Pred. I didn't realize that CTX was what made you prone to the pneumonia, I thought it was just the weak immune system so that is good news. Thanks Sangyee! The less meds I have to take the better. Now I can just dream of reducing the pred. It makes me feel so weak in my knees and light headed.

drz
02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
My doc was also hesitant about doing the desensitization protocol for the same reasons. Dapsone works and she didn't want to risk having to deal with an allergic reaction while I'm on all this other stuff. I think if I insisted she would probably comply but I know she was not at all interested in going down that road.

I am glad to hear my rheumatologist recommendations are shard by some others. I guess sometimes it is best to not rock the boat.

Brooke
03-01-2011, 03:18 AM
I have been on Bactrim for over a year, I was on Methotrexate and pred in the begining, when that didn't work I had Rituxan and tapered the pred. I will be doing Rituxan again once my B Cells return.

elephant
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been on Bactrim for about two years. I don't see myself getting off it. I am not particulary happy being on a antibiotic for any length of time.